Elgin City 2018/19

Creditable display for the most part yesterday evening, & the team certainly didn't let themselves down in front of the cameras. What was very apparent though was the difference in fitness, sharpness, & speed of thought between full-time pros at SPFL level & Div 2 part-timers. That said it definitely helped to show which Elgin players were closest to matching that & accordingly could well go higher in their careers. Thought McHale was very solid again, & McDonald in the back four was the one man that still wanted to get on the ball against more illustrious opponents, & looked very comfortable on it. Dingwall in midfield was his usual terrier self, & Omar also quality on the ball - other than his one costly error of course - & up front both Kane & Shane working very hard & looking dangerous. Would personally have given MoM to Kane.

Still limited down the flanks though, with Wilson & Cooper not going to be a combination that's going to worry too many teams out wide, Omar out of position & Spark not really getting forward on the left, & O'Keefe looking unfit &/or lazy when he came on. Thought Willis added something when he came on & could be a shout wide right.

Downside of the night was the jobsworth security stewards that were hired in for the game that added nothing other than pissing off fans by telling them places that they couldn't stand, couldn't stay standing after the game, & generally leaving me wondering just how we mange to watch football in a relaxed & safe fashion each week without the benefit of their overzealous presence.

Watched the Hibs game on BT sport who provided excellent coverage of the game and our club. Elgin struggled to retain any possession in the first half but competed well in the second half and I was impressed with our fitness as we were still going strong in the last 20.Thought our two centre backs were outstanding and I think Darryl will struggle to get back in the team in that position. Overall optimistic for the season particularly if Shane and Hester keep working hard and score goals. Soapy is a big miss in midfield.

17 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Is Sutherland actually your captain this season? Total lack of respect for a good wee club at its fans. Sad to see.

Mchardy is captain - he’s injured.

Fans obviously not happy with the way Sutherland left but we’re as fickle as any other supporters ie. If he was a bang average league 2 player he would not have been welcomed back!

Can understand fans welcoming a motivated player back but it’s a disgrace he’s captain. The lack of respect he showed to management, players, officials not to mention fans last time, it beggars belief. I realise McHardy and Cameron are injured but what about Bronsky who has stuck with the club or Cooper in the absence of the aforementioned?

I'm one of Shane's biggest critics but I don't hate this idea. I wouldn't be surprised if Gavin's thinking is giving him some responsibility can be the kick up the arse he needs to screw the nut and become a team player, if it works, we'll reap the benefits.

19 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Yeah think he’s been decent enough so far. Brings more legs than McGovern did into the centre mid position. 

Is he related to Jake the Peg?

I'm one of Shane's biggest critics but I don't hate this idea. I wouldn't be surprised if Gavin's thinking is giving him some responsibility can be the kick up the arse he needs to screw the nut and become a team player, if it works, we'll reap the benefits.
I totally agree. I wasn't that happy when I heard he was coming back. But his attitude has been spot on so far. And when that is right his ability is there for all to see.
As said above I think he will only be 3rd choice captain when Darryl and Soapy are back. Gavin Price said when McGovern left he was keen to always have a local based player as captain from now on, so that is possibly part of the reason for Shane being the captain for these games.

Really looking forward to Saturday. Hope we can get off to a flyer.

Yes, would agree with the giving Shane more responsibility perspective. He's looking a different player & character since he returned, with performances following as a result, & hopefully it will all stay that way. Think Dingwall has been excellent. Masses of bite & energy in the middle with him, Omar & MacEwan, & of course Cameron to return aswell.

U20s are at Forres in the North of Scotland Cup this evening, which will include the First Team squad members that haven't had much of a look-in so far, so come along if fancying a midweek football fix, & an opportunity to assess what else is in & around the squad.

10 hours ago, Super Elgin City said:

Beaten 11-2 tonight by Forres Mechanics in the North of Scotland Cup.

Under 20s or not that is an embarrassing result. Very very poor

Yes. very poor result, but what can one expect when playing boys against men. Only Ballam & Willis with any degree of senior experience, & although Scott & Loveland also First Team squad members, they've had virtually no football at this level. And four players doesn't make a team, particularly when the rest is a lot of lads who've never before come up against a side as strong as Forres. You've got to ask what was the Club looking to achieve in fielding this side, when there are north-based First Team players that would have loved the game rather than train Tuesday-Thursday instead?!

Edited by Highland ITFC

Yes. very poor result, but what can one expect when playing boys against men. Only Ballam & Willis with any degree of senior experience, & although Scott & Loveland also First Team squad members, they've had virtually no football at this level. And four players doesn't make a team, particularly when the rest is a lot of lads who've never before come up against a side as strong as Forres. You've got to ask what was the Club looking to achieve in fielding this side, when there are north-based First Team players that would have loved the game rather than train Tuesday-Thursday instead?!

I totally agree. The only way Elgin are going to get anything out of this competition is to play mabye 5 young lads and the rest north based senior players.

Nobody gets anything out if losing like that. Infact if anything it will give the boys doubts in their heads of they can make Highland league level, let alone league 2 level.

All north teams that meet Elgin in that competition are desperate to embarrass us. To them it won't matter it's a youth team all they see is Forres 11 - 2 Elgin.

The last 3 years we have had a 4 - 0 defeat to Fort William, an 8 - 0 defeat to Nairn and that one last night. Surely there needs to be a rethink in strategy.