Elgin City 2018/19

40 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

whining over the biggest injustice in Scottish football

Whining? The harshest punishment ever givin out to what was really only exploiting a loophole in the system.
What what a bet by John Teasdale have to do with the injustice of it?

51 minutes ago, enclosureview said:

I find pretty bad that Aberdeen cannot not bring a better side to Elgin, particularly as it marks 125 years of City. However, great win for Elgin, seems like a few good signings and feeling positive about the season ahead.

Was it not always obvious that Aberdeen would be playing a weaker team?  Did the first team not play Peterhead the night before?

Yes, a surprising & disappointing lack of quality in the Aberdeen side, with the two outfield players with First Team experience not standing out, & only the young number 2 (Calvin somebody?) looking a class act, so makes it difficult to assess Elgin's performance  & the result based on that. That said, McDonald & Spark both looking good additions at the back - both defensively & going forward - & lots of pace & urgency about the side overall, with this delivering a high tempo pressing & passing game. Dingwall had an excellent game & will certainly add in the middle of the park if maintaining that form.  Cameron, Sutherland, Omar, Hester, O'Keefe all looking good going forward. Encouraging signs, & will certainly look forward to seeing what the BetFred games deliver.

I sincerely hope you guys get the recognition you deserve after being stripped of your title. 

Plenty teams/companies/people exploit failings and loopholes in the systems to suit themselves.

I don’t think there’s a team out there that hasn’t appealed a suspension so they can field suspended players for big up and coming games, even though they know it won’t be upheld  

Best of luck guys, hope you win your case. 

9 hours ago, P475 said:

I sincerely hope you guys get the recognition you deserve after being stripped of your title. 

Plenty teams/companies/people exploit failings and loopholes in the systems to suit themselves.

I don’t think there’s a team out there that hasn’t appealed a suspension so they can field suspended players for big up and coming games, even though they know it won’t be upheld  

cheers

13 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

Was it not always obvious that Aberdeen would be playing a weaker team?  Did the first team not play Peterhead the night before?

Yes it was a tough ask for Aberdeen Ladies to take on a league side in their first season, but both teams may improve with time.

18 hours ago, P475 said:

That's a nice post.

On 02/07/2019 at 12:18, Thom & Gerry said:

Prob only start with one striker.  Would Mcewan not fill the sitting role or Darryl ? Prob go with a loan for GK, a weak spot for me. Not convinced by Mchale.

No one has seen Thomas mchale in an Elgin shirt long enough yet to make a call on his ability as a keeper, 

1 hour ago, Tam1955 said:

No one has seen Thomas mchale in an Elgin shirt long enough yet to make a call on his ability as a keeper, 

Looks decent enough to me. Saw him a fair bit for the 20s last season before he was shipped out on loan, & he looked more than capable. The only issue that I observed that was he had an obsession with trying to launch the ball as far as he could every time he got it, but Gav has now got him mixing up his distribution, going short as the first option, & then longer once the opposition has pressed / been sucked forward. He could / should have had two assists the other night with those 70 yard deliveries, which are some weapon when used in the right way. Quick off his line to sweep up behind the backline, & pulled off an absolutely worldie of a save in the training game vs Rothes last week. I'd say that he looks more than good enough & will do a good job this season.

Re Thom & Gerry's comments above, looks like I will be split strikers, with Hester up top on his own & Shane at 10 linking with the midfield; & Dingwall in the holding role, alongside Cameron doing more of the midfield work going forward. All encouraging signs so far. Hopefully it will stay that way!

Looked like too many believed their 'press' after the Aberdeen game & thought they just needed to turn up to roll Clach over. The three goals were all poor defensively, with the ball given away twice in defensive midfield positions & fair play to Clach they punished both errors in clinical fashion, & an easy unmarked header for the centre half from a corner. Elgin did then wake up & had the majority of possession & territory for the rest of the first half, & aswell as scoring two had one disallowed, hit the bar, & forced a number of saves. Early in the second period though another giveaway of the ball about 25 yards out led to Clach's fourth, & whilst Elgin again had the better of things for the rest of the half, they could only get one more themselves.

Think both McDonald & Hester proved how much they were missed by not playing. Soapy also went off injured soon after the three goals, & his energy, guile & creativity was also missed. A concern to see a fair number of players (including the Captain) spending as much time arguing / picking fights with the opposition & officials, rather than concentrating their energies on more positive matters. A notable lack of leadership / organising on the pitch, & a lot less dynamism & energy in the pressing game. Lots of neat & tidy, short & sharp passing through midfield & around the edge of the box, but struggled to break down a well organised & disciplined defence. Quality of crossing / delivery, particularly from the right, was poor.

Fair play to Clach who were well organised, competitive & played some good football themselves, & enjoyed the kind of 5 minutes that happens about once a season, & I guess best for Elgin that this happened in a friendly rather than a competitive match, but they've definitely had a lesson / wake-up call that they'll need to up their game from this showing if thinking about being in the mix for anything (other than relegation!) this season.     

Looked like too many believed their 'press' after the Aberdeen game & thought they just needed to turn up to roll Clach over. The three goals were all poor defensively, with the ball given away twice in defensive midfield positions & fair play to Clach they punished both errors in clinical fashion, & an easy unmarked header for the centre half from a corner. Elgin did then wake up & had the majority of possession & territory for the rest of the first half, & aswell as scoring two had one disallowed, hit the bar, & forced a number of saves. Early in the second period though another giveaway of the ball about 25 yards out led to Clach's fourth, & whilst Elgin again had the better of things for the rest of the half, they could only get one more themselves.
Think both McDonald & Hester proved how much they were missed by not playing. Soapy also went off injured soon after the three goals, & his energy, guile & creativity was also missed. A concern to see a fair number of players (including the Captain) spending as much time arguing / picking fights with the opposition & officials, rather than concentrating their energies on more positive matters. A notable lack of leadership / organising on the pitch, & a lot less dynamism & energy in the pressing game. Lots of neat & tidy, short & sharp passing through midfield & around the edge of the box, but struggled to break down a well organised & disciplined defence. Quality of crossing / delivery, particularly from the right, was poor.
Fair play to Clach who were well organised, competitive & played some good football themselves, & enjoyed the kind of 5 minutes that happens about once a season, & I guess best for Elgin that this happened in a friendly rather than a competitive match, but they've definitely had a lesson / wake-up call that they'll need to up their game from this showing if thinking about being in the mix for anything (other than relegation!) this season.     
Doesn't sound great at all. McDonald is going to be a key play this season if we are going to do anything at all in this league. The centre half partnership from last season concede far too many slack goals. No chance of winning a run of games with our goals against record.