Elgin City 2018/19

Perhaps a taste of the future for Elgin yesterday with 16 year old Owen Loveland getting his first league goal after scoring in the cup earlier in the season, & another academy youngster Lee Scott getting his debut, which I believe is the sixth by an academy player this season. Hopefully be seeing a lot more of the youngsters next season.

A nice end to a horrible run. Don't want to get ahead of myself about these young players but definitely a huge positive. Hopefully those coming back from HL loans can supplement the squad next season. A win next week much needed to send us into the summer not completely despondent.

big summer for the club and here's hoping the new signings are able to add steel and energy to our squad. Probably need to take in 3/4 players in the right positions to be competitive on top of the guys staying.  The focus should be on physically strong and mobile players .

Rory McEwan re-signed after 4 years at Stirling Uni. Played now and again as a schoolboy so hopefully with nearly full time training under some presumably good coaches he'll be a decent enough player. Still young too.

Rory McEwan re-signed after 4 years at Stirling Uni. Played now and again as a schoolboy so hopefully with nearly full time training under some presumably good coaches he'll be a decent enough player. Still young too.

Chris Geddes was on Rock Sport Radio a couple of months back, talking about the Uni and how things work there, he rattled off a few players that he felt could kick on in the senior game and McEwan was one of those, so it could be a good signing for you.

Always feel podcasts with one person talking is pointless, no one to challenge his opinions or offer a balance, so it's just an entire podcast of someone ramming their opinions down your throat. Personally don't enjoy this guy as I disagree with a lot of his opinions, his sense of humour is too cringeworthy and he's far too negative but good luck to him

Another disappointing season over so thought I might as well share my thoughts. I've been out of the country for most of the season (the last game I attended being the 2-1 game at Cowden with Shane's late winner in November) and as such I have seen far less of them than most of you so feel free to ridicule everything I say. I have still watched highlights and followed the goings on however so thought I might as well have a rant.

First of all, the number of players let go outwith the transfer windows was bizarre. Ali Sutherland going to Rothes meant we had no wingers and were stuck with a team only capable of 3/5 at the back or a 4-3-3 with 3 strikers. Scott Miller and Ryan Farquhar were sent back to the Highland League pretty quickly. Kerr Hay and Declan Byrne, despite not being brilliant, were reasonable squad players and both let go mid-season. Beattie and Banjo were hardly missed ability wise but without all the players mentioned the squad looked very threadbare at times. It might be hard at part-time level but continuity in a squad makes such a difference (look at Arbroath who barely did anything to last season's squad) and we haven't had close to that the last 2 years.

I also think the team selections have been erratic at best. We started out with a 5-3-2 which may have suited the squad on paper but they didn't look comfortable playing it, the 4-1 defeat at Broadwood in September being a prime example. Price also tried out a 5-2-3 at times (such as the Cowden game mentioned above) which often led to open, entertaining games but defensively we remained shambolic. I can't ever recall another team starting a game with a 5-2-3 at any level. I couldn't tell you as much about recent tactics, but the continual shifting around of Greg Morrison (right back ffs), overly attacking lineups with up to 4 strikers in the starting lineup, baffling defensive selections (Berwick and Annan at the end of March), and the repeated inclusions of Scott Roberts (only seen him in highlights or at Annan but always thought he looked rubbish) and Chris McLeish (he scored 3 goals this season, time to let go I'm afraid) have all confused me.

I read somewhere (presumably here) that the plan was to use the u20s more next year. Now I don't want to turn a positive into a negative, it was great to see the u20s win every game, but this rumour worries me. Hopefully 2 or 3 (Moray Taylor a prime candidate) of them are ready to step up and become squad players like David Wilson has done this season, but I fear it means chucking large numbers in, most of whom are 17/18 and nowhere near ready, which I cannot see working out well. Fortunately we have the League Cup to test some of these players out more. Why the last few weeks haven't been used for that purpose I am not sure.

I know I'm not alone in being concerned about next season but I don't think it's all negative. There are talented young players to come through and hopefully with good recruitment we can turn it around. Lowdon and McGovern won't particularly be missed and if we get the Jordan Allan we had last season left back will be sorted. The McHale situation is confusing but if he's coming back I'd like to see him get a decent shot. Gourlay has been released by Dundee but will imagine he's aiming for something at a higher level. As discussed above, I don't think McHardy, Cooper or Bronsky are bad players but they've been made to look poor too often this season for a number of reasons. McHardy certainly has a role long term, but where he's best suited to I'm not sure. Omar is inconsistent but a handy player I reckon and hope we keep him. Of the strikers we've had this season, I might be tempted to try and sign Morrison as he's young and can improve + out of contract and local but I'm far from convinced. Hester I've seen very little of but what I have seen I've liked. IMO we should prioritise getting the right players to get the best out of Soapy, appoint him as captain and try and build the team around him. Not an easy task I know.

The successes of Montrose (10th in League 2 2 and a half years ago and we'd just thumped them 5-0) and Arbroath (finished 9th in League 2 3 years ago) show how quickly things can change and give me hope. Yes both are in better locations for attracting players but neither have done anything too drastic. I should also mention Forfar and the fact I was not the only one who wasn't overly fussed to see Weir leave. What we'd do to have him back now. Other than a first trip to Brechin and potentially 4 games v Cove, there's not much to be positive about right now but I can't help but be excited for our 20th season in the Scottish League system. It's too early to even hope that it might finally be the year...

Edited by afca32

Good post and can’t argue with a lot you say. I think the 3 5 2 was to accommodate Beattie and partly failed because he did. I agree it’s good to see youngsters coming through and must be encouraged but they are not ready for regular first team fitba on a regular basis. I don’t Miller,Farquhar, Byrne and Hay were happy at being squad members and that’s why they were let go. I would like to see Morrison and Mciver back although chances prob slim, would like to see Gourlay back as think he is better than McHale. I agree with Soapy being captain as I think the extra responsibility will do him good. As a previous poster said if we can retain our better players and recruit decent players in the right positions, full back, centre back, central midfielder and striker then we could do well but I must admit I’m feeling pretty pessimistic at the moment! Not helped when I just read that Roberts and Mcleish have been offered contracts, Big summer and early season for the Manager me thinks.

29 minutes ago, gordon9736 said:

You'll be pleased that Owen Loveland and Lee Scott have signed first team contracts as well as Rory MacEwan who played recently for University of Stirling.

Loveland has played a few first team games and scored a couple of goals. He's very young and one for the future though and I'd like to think he'll be loaned out. I know very little about Scott other than the fact he started v Edinburgh City and made his 2nd appearance v Berwick. I hope they are good enough now but if not they should be loaned out as they are very young. I mentioned I was happy with McEwan last week. He has spent 4 years training in a pretty professional setup, playing an awful lot of games in that time across the Lowland League and British University Leagues (which has some very good players) and all the cups that come with him. Teams in higher leagues than us have signed players from uni teams with decent success and I think McEwan might be another.

Edited by afca32