Elgin City 2018/19

Montrose have certainly showed what is possible. They were in the relegation play off a couple of years ago, I saw us beat them last year 5 0 at Montrose in a game that we could have scored double that, we were so far better than them, yet this season with a different manager but much the same players they deservedly won the league. I think our finances would be as good as them if not better, so nothing stopping us if we can get in 3 or 4 decent players to compliment/replace what we have. 

The U-20's won the North of Scotland league tonight and ok the standard of the competition doesn't look too great but it's still a good achievement and a sign of the fantastic work Robbie Hope and co are doing. Hopefully Gav will have a good look at these guys in pre season and see it he can unearth a gem or two, it seems absolutely ages ago that the likes of McHardy and Soapy broke through from the youth teams, it's about time we had a few more make the step up rather than head for HFL obscurity. 

I think Elgin now are the longest running club in L2 now the Mo have vacated - might be wrong, but whatever I wish you luck next season. Briefly chatting to Gavin Price after the game at LP last Saturday and he and his squad stayed on for a while to watch the celebrations - sure he wanted everyone to see it and be determined it's them this time next year.

They played well against a nervy Mo side but the secret (secret?) is to take it one game at a time right from the very first game, win it, move on, win that, move on etc. No looking back and what if. The next game is always more important than the last one. Good luck. 

8 hours ago, The Wolf said:

I believe one of the guys in the U20'S team will be in the first team squad next season and 2 local guys in their early to mid twenties will be signing from the HL.

One of the U20's signed a first team contract at their game last night.

5 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Good to hear. Think the lad Farquhar from Lossie is one of the players.

Also heard Scott Miller from Turriff (also ex-lossie) which would make sense with GK coach Stevie Dunn being a former Lossie manager. 

Makes sense to have a few more of the 'squad players' being local guys if possible. Obviously not advocating a fully north-based squad but surely works better if you don't have guys coming from Perth, etc. just to sit on the bench. Also means more numbers at north-based training sessions.

Miller was a cut above at Lossie and went on to look the part at Turriff, but was hampered by the club being a shambles all this season. Started with a hat-trick and got another one on Saturday.

If you’re taking Farquhar on, look after him. I’d rather he went on to Elgin to see if he’s good enough than dick about in the SHFL at faux-money Rothes or wherever. Elgin’s a lot of work when you’re used to playing away at Forres, Buckie and Nairn tho.

Am I reading this right? We're signing Scott Miller? Again? He was a part of our squad in the late stages of the 2010/11 season. Seems to have come on a long way since then, so could be an interesting one. I'd always assumed that was a bridge well and truly burned.

4 hours ago, Thom & Gerry said:

Jordan Lowdon signed. Used to be a pacy leftback with Clyde if I remember correct but had a few injury problems latterly. 

Smashing player before his injury, quick ,gets up the park and puts good balls into the box, maybe lacks defensively though. Should be a good addition, hope he gets back to the promise he showed, except when he plays us obviously.

Clyde fans seem to rate Lowdon highly and any time I can remember seeing him he always looked a decent player, especially at Arbroath, so happy with that.

With the two HL lads rumoured to be  coming in soon as well its pleasing to see the club trying to get some business done nice and early so the players can get a good pre-season under their belts with as close to a settled squad as possible. 

As someone pointed out above, it's a big summer for Gavin so hopefully more positive news to come with signings and re-signings as he tries to put his own stamp on the team.