Alloa vs Raith Rovers

1 minute ago, roverthemoon said:

It’s all about the Rovers it seems

my final thought on this season. “Thank f**k it’s over”.

See you all next season 

I had that feeling as soon as the 1st goal went in, the rest of the game was a lot less stressful once denial had been replaced with acceptance. 

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, somerset_lad said:

I really hate to break this to you mate. Really am.

But away goals don’t count.

Erm, how do you explain the fact that none of the other ties have gone to extra time? :lol: 

Just imagine if this was Dunfermline (the only show in Fife) that contrived to f**k up the League 1 title. You'd never hear the end of it from the Wee Team fans. Got to feel for them. It's a wee, wee sin, so it is. 

Pish that it's an utter no mark team like Ayr that pipped them to the title and not Arbroath but c'est la vie. Good away day though tbf. 

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

Just imagine if this was Dunfermline (the only show in Fife) that contrived to f**k up the League 1 title. You'd never hear the end of it from the Wee Team fans. Got to feel for them. It's a wee, wee sin, so it is. 

Pish that it's an utter no mark team like Ayr that pipped them to the title and not Arbroath but c'est la vie. Good away day though tbf. 

Pillock

There's no need to imagine that, we can all recall your efforts to get out of this league vividly. Hopefully we do it in less than 3 seasons.

6 hours ago, ayrmad said:

Not convinced, you probably got what you deserved away but I feel you overachieved considerably at home points wise.

Not really, I don't think any team deserved to beat us at home over the league season. We conceded 9 goals.

Problem was the team turned to absolute shit away from home. 

8 hours ago, Jimmy85 said:

Looking forward to the 2nd leg. Still in the tie and an away goal to boot. Still plenty to play for. 

7 hours ago, somerset_lad said:

I really hate to break this to you mate. Really am.

But away goals don’t count.

7 hours ago, Jimmy85 said:

Erm, how do you explain the fact that none of the other ties have gone to extra time? :lol: 

You almost had me there! :lol:

Tbf, this is their biggest achievement and best team in a generation. Had we won the league, we'd have been happy but it would've hardly been anything to write home about.  We'd have ground out a league where we were the second best team, and nipped in at the end.  Instead, Ayr rightfully won the league and we imploded. Both fans have had some rockets in their fan base, and a lot of social media between the clubs is Ayr fans giving it big licks. This is the first time in about a decade they've finished a higher position than us.  It's grim at the moment for Rovers fans but I'm confident we can bounce  roar back next season one way or another... 

The big licks are quite clearly a reaction to the “roaring back” campaign. Without that it wouldn’t be nearly as bad.

Easily the best team at this moment won today. Over the two games i was expecting more from raith to be honest. 

I wonder how much Goodwin's 'rotation policy' since January - starting the likes of Smith, Crossan and even Renton at times and often subbing the likes of Fleming, Cawley and Flannigan when games were still in the balance and they were playing well - has contributed to the teams form and apparent freshness? It has been something he's taken a bit of criticism for, not least for not least from myself.

I also expected him to rest more players for the Ayr and Raith games, but he seems to have handled that spot on with the confidence and belief evident in the two play off games against Raith.

Certainly last year we weren't anything like the team we had been earlier in the season when it came to the playoffs. So perhaps the pain of that has helped us peak this year.

Generally the loan signings have been a success, with Callum Crane an improved and excellent left back, but getting Stewart and Kirky in has transformed the team. They are both unorthodox in their own ways, but are a real handful for defences, not least because of that unorthodoxy.

If we fail to win the final (and it's very much 50/50 IMO) then it won't be because of lack of belief or preparation. I think having the first led at home will suit us.

20 minutes ago, printer said:

I wonder how much Goodwin's 'rotation policy' since January - starting the likes of Smith, Crossan and even Renton at times and often subbing the likes of Fleming, Cawley and Flannigan when games were still in the balance and they were playing well - has contributed to the teams form and apparent freshness? It has been something he's taken a bit of criticism for, not least for not least from myself.

I also expected him to rest more players for the Ayr and Raith games, but he seems to have handled that spot on with the confidence and belief evident in the two play off games against Raith.

Certainly last year we weren't anything like the team we had been earlier in the season when it came to the playoffs. So perhaps the pain of that has helped us peak this year.

Generally the loan signings have been a success, with Callum Crane an improved and excellent left back, but getting Stewart and Kirky in has transformed the team. They are both unorthodox in their own ways, but are a real handful for defences, not least because of that unorthodoxy.

If we fail to win the final (and it's very much 50/50 IMO) then it won't be because of lack of belief or preparation. I think having the first led at home will suit us.

You’ve definitely peaked at the right time. In total contrast to us who faded away as time went on. Good luck in the final. Would always want the team from this league to go up so hope you manage it

I thought we had too many loan signings which was effecting us, evidenced via the rotation policy. Interestingly however I think it has revealed whom amongst that bunch and second choice core squad members have real strength of character, two examples, Robbo comes on or starts and is firing on all cylinders and probably playing a more disciplined role than is natural for him, and Calum Smith, he understands his role and has become an occasional starter and highly effective like for like replacement. Additionally Jordan has shown that he has the intelligence and discipline to play a holding midfield role. So well played Jim, more please this week.

Not pictured - Raith taking kickoff while Alloa celebrated their goal.
Diving, fighting amongst themselves from the word go. Glad we went into the final instead of them. 

Kicking off when the ref blew his whistle you mean?

Archived