The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

20 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

But have heard this all before - fans put forward such thoughts but in many cases fans cross the divide and end up running the club. Then they find it is a lot more complicated than they thought and cut pricing offers don't pay the bills nor does paying lower wages attract fans - it attracts less. You are perpetuating a stereotype that most club directors are clueless on these things and that if only they went along with what fans wanted on pricing everything would be rosy - however the bottom line is directors have to worry about cashflow now, in the present and near future - that is a key responsibility. I understand the Pollok example and most clubs would do likewise if they assessed it would produce a cash upside or other worthwhile benefit

To acknowledge Dindeleux's point first, he's correct, it was 1125 which was over double their previous game's attendance.  That said, Pollok average around 600 which many in L 1 & 2 would take now.  Junior football's USP is their pricing, always has been. 

You're talking about stereotypes while putting forward the old line of clubs have heard and tried it all before and it doesn't work, and that it's a lot more complicated than that.  What's next, the sun sets in the east?  No they haven't and no it isn't, it's far from complicated.  You have a finite number of costs.  You can do what you can to mitigate those but will be left with "a figure".    There are various areas clubs can look into, see how they've developed a model and adapt to suit.

Junior clubs themselves are often subsidising their income via their social club / bar sales, certainly true in Pollok's case.  If you don't have one, that's not the point, you're then looking at the principle of additional streams.  Securing advertising and sponsorship relies entirely on the number of potential "eyes" that will be exposed to their brand.   More difficult in lower leagues where tv and national press coverage is virtually nil, but local press plays a role.   Therefore as is normally the case, local businesses are your target especially as this can also be transferred over to your online platforms for wider exposure.

But bottom line, it's also extremely difficult to sell advertising space at a ground where there's only 200 - 300 people standing there.  Where's the attraction for a business ?  So you've various vested interests in increasing crowd numbers, which goes back to my original point.  Who said you could only operate with one fixed pricing system, I didn't ?  The evidence is there that the system isn't working, why are you advocating that clubs continue to give themselves an excuse for failure and repeat it ?

Appreciate this is a Clyde thread, but it involves all clubs, ours included.  Every club talks about getting more people through the gate, but they have to listen, think.  If it ain't working, yes, it's broke.  Heads in the sand and you end up buried.

To acknowledge Dindeleux's point first, he's correct, it was 1125 which was over double their previous game's attendance.  That said, Pollok average around 600 which many in L 1 & 2 would take now.  Junior football's USP is their pricing, always has been. 
You're talking about stereotypes while putting forward the old line of clubs have heard and tried it all before and it doesn't work, and that it's a lot more complicated than that.  What's next, the sun sets in the east?  No they haven't and no it isn't, it's far from complicated.  You have a finite number of costs.  You can do what you can to mitigate those but will be left with "a figure".    There are various areas clubs can look into, see how they've developed a model and adapt to suit.
Junior clubs themselves are often subsidising their income via their social club / bar sales, certainly true in Pollok's case.  If you don't have one, that's not the point, you're then looking at the principle of additional streams.  Securing advertising and sponsorship relies entirely on the number of potential "eyes" that will be exposed to their brand.   More difficult in lower leagues where tv and national press coverage is virtually nil, but local press plays a role.   Therefore as is normally the case, local businesses are your target especially as this can also be transferred over to your online platforms for wider exposure.
But bottom line, it's also extremely difficult to sell advertising space at a ground where there's only 200 - 300 people standing there.  Where's the attraction for a business ?  So you've various vested interests in increasing crowd numbers, which goes back to my original point.  Who said you could only operate with one fixed pricing system, I didn't ?  The evidence is there that the system isn't working, why are you advocating that clubs continue to give themselves an excuse for failure and repeat it ?
Appreciate this is a Clyde thread, but it involves all clubs, ours included.  Every club talks about getting more people through the gate, but they have to listen, think.  If it ain't working, yes, it's broke.  Heads in the sand and you end up buried.

Few people running clubs will have heads in the sand - don't recall saying you can operate with one fixed pricing system. Various ideas and alternatives can be tried with varying degrees of success depending on the aim of such schemes. I'm not putting forward some hackneyed old club line at least no more hackneyed than your its not complicated and reduce pricing and it will all be great. The evidence that the system is not working isn't all that compelling - you have decided the product is over-priced but that isn't a given. Clubs actually work in a market economy and deploy a pricing structure that delivers in their actual practical experience the pricing that works best for them which they vary when appropriate. Complex pricing structures with many categories and sub groups aren't all that well suited to clubs with lesser resources.

Aye, alright. Can beat a man when he's fit and put a decent ball in. Not the biggest or quickest lad in the world though, and a better attacker than defender in my opinion. Could do with having more aggression about him.

Jordan Lowdon has signed for Elgin, how did he do for Clyde after returning from injury?

have got yourself a good player with a good pre-season under his belt after a long haul back to fitness after a really bad injury I think he is quick ( SP disagrees ) and can put in a great ball into the box . This season he was coming back from a really bad injury and with Stewart playing well at left back never really got a run if game
If you are looking for someone to bomb up and down the wing then lowden is your man , could probably do a job wide left in the middle field as well, more an attacking wing back than your more orthodox defender

Wish him well smashing lad great attitude and for most very popular with the fans

4 hours ago, MorayCup said:

Jordan Lowdon has signed for Elgin, how did he do for Clyde after returning from injury?

Got yourself a good player, Lennon didn’t seem to fancy him no idea why... was one of the best players in the league when we signed him and before he got injured

5 hours ago, MorayCup said:

He had an acl injury and once he came back spent the majority of the season on the bench, he's a good attacking player probably a bit lightweight but has pace in abundance 

Don't think he's as good as some make out. Don't get me wrong, he's decent enough but after his injury always looked nervous in a tackle and Stewart for us is a better left back. 
I thought he looked a really good player until he was injured down at Annan. I don't think he recovered fully.

I wish him all the best and hope that a good preseason gets him back to his pre-injury quality and speed against all teams apart from Clyde.

Don't think he's as good as some make out. Don't get me wrong, he's decent enough but after his injury always looked nervous in a tackle and Stewart for us is a better left back. 

I would have kept him at the club good football player and plenty of pace , but shows how we all view football players differently most seem happy resigning mcniff and Currie for me they have cost us goals all season.

Defensively not convinced by Lowdon & don't feel he's done anything to merit the praise some of our supporters give him. I can't think of a game where you would say - "Lowdon played really well".  I didn't buy the hype prior to his arrival as only thing I could remember was his hairstyle. He now leaves us after two seasons without me knowing much about him. 

He clearly doesn't fit into Danny's plans so no point in keeping him on what I would guess is a decent wage. When Stewart was out injured he couldn't get a start at that point it was clear he had no future with the club. He seems a nice guy off the field though so I wish him all the best and hope he finds somewhere to play regular football following such a serious injury. 

On a more serious note I see the Mail on Sunday is keeping up the attack on Norrie Innes.They are now calling on sponsors and fans to 'make the right decision'.Well I agree,I shall no longer be buying the Mail/Mail on Sunday.

Are we due a new home top next season? Can't remember if this is the first season of the generations top. 

This is second season , the club said start of season they were giving it another year as the fans had raised nearly 20 k with the names on the home kit

Are we due a new home top next season? Can't remember if this is the first season of the generations top. 

Think a couple of months ago they said they were looking for new supplier