The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

3 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Fully agree with this.

At the moment kids get in for free to Broadwood.

How many actually attend matches? 30-40 if that?

The reason fans don't attend isn't because of our clubs lack of Cumbernauldness but because they'd rather support the old firm, play with their PlayStations or watch Man. United on Sky.

We should look at teams like Livingston and Hamilton and be realistic.

I agree with pretty much all of this aside from your last line. Livingston are a basketcase and shouldn't be an example to anyone, their on field success is yet again disguising much bigger off field problems (IMO). Hamilton on the face of it look a fine example to follow, but again bear in mind that they were one of the main supporters of an SPL2, with their Chairman at the time saying they would need to go part time or could go out of business if it didn't go ahead, so I'm not sure that model is entirely sustainable.

2 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

I still see absolutely nothing wrong with this 

Nor do I, to be clear.

4 minutes ago, Mantis Toboggan said:

I still see absolutely nothing wrong with this 

No wonder we're getting the c**t taken out of us by bloody Dumbarton fans. 

At least he has the grace not to rub in just how pish everyone bar Marko was, when Barry the Boaby kept on raiding them. 

26 minutes ago, Officer Barbrady said:

You're taking a bit of a gamble, taunting the club that's about to replace yours next season, are you not?

Didn't see this wee edited in nugget but no, I'm not taking a gamble at all. I'm not here championing Dumbarton or stating that they're bigger than Clyde and Sons fans are already accepting that we could very well go down and if we do I'm sure we'll try and enjoy ourselves as best we can, if that means revelling in mediocrity and "being a diddy" then so be it.  I was only interested in finding out what Dumbarton's ceiling apparently was from the Hibs/Clyde fan and pointing out that some of the more delusional Clyde fans are being somewhat unrealistic in their expectations.

3 minutes ago, Officer Barbrady said:

No wonder we're getting the c**t taken out of us by bloody Dumbarton fans. 

Offft. Can I ask where this feeling of superiority comes from?

10 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Didn't see this wee edited in nugget but no, I'm not taking a gamble at all. I'm not here championing Dumbarton or stating that they're bigger than Clyde and Sons fans are already accepting that we could very well go down and if we do I'm sure we'll try and enjoy ourselves as best we can, if that means revelling in mediocrity and "being a diddy" then so be it.  I was only interested in finding out what Dumbarton's ceiling apparently was from the Hibs/Clyde fan and pointing out that some of the more delusional Clyde fans are being somewhat unrealistic in their expectations.

Offft. Can I ask where this feeling of superiority comes from?

Yes, they're rom the same place you pluck the humourous gags about any misfortune we endure. I never said we didn't ask for it.

I withdraw my previous remark, clearly you're the Simon of the Rock. If things get REALLY bad, and by that i mean being bottom-feeders like we were, how much of your current support do you believe would be retained? That, after all was used as a barometer of why i believe us to be a bigger and more important club than Dumbarton. 

That’s exactly what’s wrong with our mentality, they figures shouldn’t be unthinkable. I did state that that particular game was a very special occasion. The product of football back then was of higher standards also but for that game we hit serious numbers.

Population in the Nauld 52k, Kilsyth 12k according to wiki. You telling me that it would be crazy to think we could get an average of 2000-3000 Clyde fans to fill up the home stand? That’s just less than 5% of the population for only those two areas.

That’s not including surrounding areas like Kirky (20k), Stepps (7k) & Glasgow areas where the foundation of this club was built. 18 home games a season, only 18 times in 10 months. You set a target for 9 games in a season (as big teams may take some of the potential fans away) and build on it from there but I do strongly feel that we don’t promote or market Clyde well imo.

Perhaps I just try to see the positive side but I really don’t think getting 2-3k in our home stand is outrageous when the product is there and we have a location like we have.

Spot on

12 minutes ago, Officer Barbrady said:

Yes, they're rom the same place you pluck the humourous gags about any misfortune we endure. I never said we didn't ask for it.

I withdraw my previous remark, clearly you're the Simon of the Rock. If things get REALLY bad, and by that i mean being bottom-feeders like we were, how much of your current support do you believe would be retained? That, after all was used as a barometer of why i believe us to be a bigger and more important club than Dumbarton. 

I haven't made any gags about Clyde.

We finished 2nd bottom of the 3rd Division about 12 years back and we pulled in similar numbers to Clyde are now. We finished 5th in the Championship and still only had 750-800 in the home end each week (attendances obviously boosted by healthy away supports though). Hence why I struggle to see a 2nd tier Clyde pulling in 3,000 or anything close to it. 

It's a rather strange chip you've got on your shoulder there. 

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

We should look at teams like Hamilton and be realistic.

We did. Their upsurge can be time stamped from the point McDonald joined them. Then we didnt

Whether we stayed or moved, there is no area just waiting for it to be built. The club, any club, would need to fully engage. But if folk, probably without experience of having done much or basically have any understanding of what they're talking about, want to dismiss that as being pointless, shrug shoulders and point to clichéd reasons as an excuse to fail and lower expectations, then it's a free country

In fact maybe we should just shut the club down now as according to some it's an impossibility to do anything other than rely on offspring or beg a friend to come along....despite history proving otherwise

But if folk, probably without experience of having done much or basically have any understanding of what they're talking about, want to dismiss that as being pointless, shrug shoulders and point to clichéd reasons as an excuse to fail and lower expectations, then it's a free country

I think we should engage with the community, maximise our income and any support we can.
The club should strive to be as successful as we can.

What I do dispute is the idea that Clyde can add multiple thousands to their average attendance. That's just pie in the sky.

Realism is not a clichéd excuse to fail. It's about not making decisions based on unlikely or impossible hopes for the future.

3 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I think we should engage with the community, maximise our income and any support we can.

What I do dispute is the idea that Clyde can add multiple thousands to their average attendance. That's just pie in the sky.

Realism is not a clichéd excuse to fail. It's about not making decisions based on unlikely or impossible hopes for the future.

To be fair, only one poster has suggested this as a target we should aim for. And it's not mutually exclusive to the kind of success or growth of the club, to the extent that not having these phantom thousands would determine anything remotely linked to the subject matter. If that WAS what we brought in, in the home end, it would be a different matter altogether.

Rebuilding takes time.  Average gates are up perhaps 150 + this season which is a decent start but I would guess out of the 600 odd average perhaps double that attend a few games a season. That is the initial market- get the occassionals to come more regularly and while your chairman is perhaps quite floral with his words he does seem very committed and understands building community. Clearly the Old Firm are the menace but if you can build on the current team spirit and re-connect base one has to be up to 1000 a week then hopefully grow it gradually from there. If Hamilton get get into the top league there are at least a further dozen clubs who could also do it and Clyde must be one.

It's not realism it's the small minded mentality that has resulted in 10 years of lowest tier football oh we have heard it's not just about football ,just be happy you have a team to support .it is extremely ambitious to say we get 3k in the championship but why not aim for it ?
And you say we should look at Hamilton and Livingston well they ain't CIC owned so I suppose that's a start

58 minutes ago, support the underdog said:

Rebuilding takes time.  Average gates are up perhaps 150 + this season which is a decent start but I would guess out of the 600 odd average perhaps double that attend a few games a season. That is the initial market- get the occassionals to come more regularly and while your chairman is perhaps quite floral with his words he does seem very committed and understands building community. Clearly the Old Firm are the menace but if you can build on the current team spirit and re-connect base one has to be up to 1000 a week then hopefully grow it gradually from there. If Hamilton get get into the top league there are at least a further dozen clubs who could also do it and Clyde must be one.

This, a hundred times. 

I think a "realistic" 3-5 year target, could see a level of consolidation somewhere alongside the likes of Morton, ICT, QotS, Raith, Ayr & Ross Co (when the wheels eventually fall off for they two) and maybe Airdrie (if they sort things out as well) like we did in the early 2000s. In terms of gates, our location doesn't hinder the prospect of healthy attendances, and an overall average figure of 2,000 shouldn't be either laughed or sneered at. There would be an inevitable improved quality of player, and a more atmpospheric setting encouraging not only the semi-regulars along more often who StU refers to, for whom there may be actual matches to look forward to instead of working the weekend or any other miscellaneous activity, but also an increased attraction for neutrals and therefore potential new fans. 

If an Alloa, Arbroath or Dumbarton were to take turns at bottom-feeding that, and the likes of Dundee Utd and either Falkirk or Dunfermline replace Accies and Livi to redress the proper balance of clubs as per their size, i'd call that a very strong Tier 2 to be a part of. Initially, of course. After the 5th year, i'd be expecting us to be trying to win it. 

What have you guys been smoking? A club's size cannot be defined by ancient history, or we'd be dwarfed by QP East Stirling and the likes. 

We're possibly one of the 'biggest clubs' never to have made it to the premier league, while Morton, Dumbarton, Airdrie Hamilton, Clydebank, Ayr and Raith all have. That makes us less big...ie small.  We also have a small mentality when it comes to cups too.

You look at the way ICT and Ross County have held their own in the the top division and remember we've never made it to the level in 45 years and that should be evidence enough.  We've been in, and still are in the grubber, in terms of leagues, but there are encouraging signs, but they're only signs, cos we are not out the mire yet!

We aint had more than 1500 regularly since the 70's. Maybe some reality needed?

11 hours ago, Officer Barbrady said:

This, a hundred times. 

I think a "realistic" 3-5 year target, could see a level of consolidation somewhere alongside the likes of Morton, ICT, QotS, Raith, Ayr & Ross Co (when the wheels eventually fall off for they two) and maybe Airdrie (if they sort things out as well) like we did in the early 2000s. In terms of gates, our location doesn't hinder the prospect of healthy attendances, and an overall average figure of 2,000 shouldn't be either laughed or sneered at. There would be an inevitable improved quality of player, and a more atmpospheric setting encouraging not only the semi-regulars along more often who StU refers to, for whom there may be actual matches to look forward to instead of working the weekend or any other miscellaneous activity, but also an increased attraction for neutrals and therefore potential new fans. 

If an Alloa, Arbroath or Dumbarton were to take turns at bottom-feeding that, and the likes of Dundee Utd and either Falkirk or Dunfermline replace Accies and Livi to redress the proper balance of clubs as per their size, i'd call that a very strong Tier 2 to be a part of. Initially, of course. After the 5th year, i'd be expecting us to be trying to win it. 

Delusional.

What have you guys been smoking? A club's size cannot be defined by ancient history, or we'd be dwarfed by QP East Stirling and the likes. 
We're possibly one of the 'biggest clubs' never to have made it to the premier league, while Morton, Dumbarton, Airdrie Hamilton, Clydebank, Ayr and Raith all have. That makes us less big...ie small.  We also have a small mentality when it comes to cups too.
You look at the way ICT and Ross County have held their own in the the top division and remember we've never made it to the level in 45 years and that should be evidence enough.  We've been in, and still are in the grubber, in terms of leagues, but there are encouraging signs, but they're only signs, cos we are not out the mire yet!
We aint had more than 1500 regularly since the 70's. Maybe some reality needed?
Maybe you should ask why then ?
all the teams you mention have had money put in while over the last god knows how many years we are pissing about running the club on raffles golf days and race nights Oh and as soon as their is whiff of us now having a debt it's panic stations
Thank goodness the mentality at the top of the club has changed and guess what look at the manager / team facilities off the park and the fans have responded backing the club to the hilt, but the only way we will progress is with investment from outside whether that be a change in structure or increased commercial sponsorship and building a solid financial model not based on fans digging deeper every year that well has been gone to far too often