The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

I think we would lose a lot of what we have been about recently if we were to move Rankin. 

I realise losing Goodwillie for a few games is a huge deal but I also think we have to be careful not to overreact, injuries happen. As a team we are much better placed to react to this than we were even a couple of months ago. 

23 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

I think we would lose a lot of what we have been about recently if we were to move Rankin. 

I realise losing Goodwillie for a few games is a huge deal but I also think we have to be careful not to overreact, injuries happen. As a team we are much better placed to react to this than we were even a couple of months ago. 

This, absolutely this. 

If we ever sent out DG, and only DG, to play a  game, the cast-iron certainty is that we'd lose. 

If the budget permits, i'm sure there will be glances towards the sort of players who'd make a good acquisition, anyway. 

I think the idea that anyone else in the squad brings to the team what DGW brings is optimistic. Not just his goals, but his hold up play, his impact on the opposition who frequently double up on him leaving space elsewhere, and the positive confidence effect of just being on the pitch in our colours has on his team mates.

I hope I am wrong, but I can see a few low scoring games from us over the period he is out.  

On 15/01/2019 at 10:40, Clyde85 said:

It is a tough one do we try and get someone in who could disrupt the team spirit that we have at the moment or do we keep trust with the players. I'd like the Norwegian boy to get a chance to play there he's big, strong and direct. There's no way Boyle should play upfront far too small and lightweight.

Have you ever seen Messi or Aguero? 

Even Ian Harty for us.

height is not an issue when playing good football it’s all about the intelligence of the runs you make and finding space. 

Lennon has previously said Boyle is the best finisher at the club so I’d give him a chnace. 

Boyle has been rubbish any time he's been up directly against players, either back to goal or looking to get in behind. Good finishing maybe; but he is exclusively a player who should drop deep off a front line.

2 hours ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

I think the idea that anyone else in the squad brings to the team what DGW brings is optimistic. Not just his goals, but his hold up play, his impact on the opposition who frequently double up on him leaving space elsewhere, and the positive confidence effect of just being on the pitch in our colours has on his team mates.

I hope I am wrong, but I can see a few low scoring games from us over the period he is out.  

I don't think anyone is suggesting it's business as usual, but the nonsensical suggestions (some may be a joke, others are NOT) would indicate that a wholesale change in tactics and strategy is required to eek through his absence. Utter pish, frankly. 

13 minutes ago, David W said:

Boyle has been rubbish any time he's been up directly against players, either back to goal or looking to get in behind. Good finishing maybe; but he is exclusively a player who should drop deep off a front line.

I don't see any reason why we ought to play with an 'exclusive' out-and-out nine in general, even with Goodwilie available, as his best work is dropping behind into the support trio rather than waiting on the ball coming to him. Alongside DG, Boyle can and does drift off, perhaps with confidence in his partner rather than outright individial presence, but given who we're up against for the next month and a bit, i'd have no problem in principle of him doing the role hinted at here. The problem is if it goes wrong, we have five days to find an alternative.

As for defenders queuing up to bully Syvertsen should he get the nod, why the hell would we throw the ball up to him (if he is used at 9) instead of playing to his obvious skills on the deck? 

Only we could try and put a futsal player up against a 'meat and drink' heed-the-baw and hope it comes off. Please, for Christ's sake, no. 

The Norwegian Prince signs until the end of next season.
Pleased with that I think there is a player in there and given 18 month contract chance for him to settle in with knowledge he has a contract for next season

5 minutes ago, cfcuk said:
15 minutes ago, Adolfo Rios said:
The Norwegian Prince signs until the end of next season.

Pleased with that I think there is a player in there and given 18 month contract chance for him to settle in with knowledge he has a contract for next season

Agreed. He has attributes that are very rare in this league. That said, he also has a lot to learn tactically.  He has the best management team to do so when you see the consistent development of a number of other players.

Definitely a player in there and glimpses of it seen already. Bit of luck and Saturday will see his first goal too. The first of many we hope.

I think he is worth signing up, I didn’t realise he was only 20. Agreed he has a lot to learn tactically, positional sense as well if he is out wide. On the ball and running at defenders we have seen that he can create chances and cause problems for the opposition. 

Wouldnt mind seeing him through the middle if Goodwillie isn’t there. I suspect if we are signing him up, we won’t be bringing in a loan to cover. 

Edited by SLClyde

Glad to have him signed up; his development could go either way, but he has a number of desirable attributes both technically and physically and has already shown some adaptation to the physical side of the game here. Hopefully the management team can polish him up, like they've done with many of our squad in the past year, and discover where and how he's best used going forward.

How the hell did he end up with us, though? Is he from a rich family, travelling Europe in an attempt to realise his dream? Very bizarre for such a low-level footballer to go from Norway to Scotland via Spain in a few years. I saw in an interview in our match programme he "got talking to someone in the street who knew someone at Clyde". I'd love to have watched that exchange unfolding. Not that I'm complaining, mind - exotic foreign imports are a wonderful treat these days. I was heartbroken when Steve Kipre turned out to be a dud.

Happy about this, definitely a technically gifted  player who could very well come to being a very important player for us as he has possibly two of the best in Danny and Allan to help him progress. So far we have only seen glimpses of what he can do, hopefully a lot more to come from him.

I'm not sure that giving an 18 month contract to someone who has only started 6 games since October is a good decision given our tight budget.

Admittedly he's still young and relatively inexperienced but has he really been as good as some on here seem to think?

However, now we've signed him, I'd like to see him playing on the right wing again. I think he looked better there than on the left.

I'll defer to Danny Lennon's judgement and I hope he's a great success.