The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

From what I’ve seen of Syvertsen, I don’t think he’s been overly effective out wide, however hasn’t done much wrong either. 

I’d give him a few games through the middle to see what he’s like, he’s definitely got the skill to hold it in and bring others into play, even take a run at defenders and beat them.

Has Syvertsen shown enough to be regarded as even a short term replacement for Goodwillie? I've not seen anything at all that makes me think he's a ready made replacement for Goodwillie or able to play up front as a striker.

We really need someone before the transfer window closes. Fannying about trying different players in different systems while the transfer clock counts down is a big risk.

If we've Gorman's and Belmokhtar's wages available. Let's use them.

At a guess, if he was able to play the second half it suggests that.  Usually anywhere up to 6 weeks, but until there's another announcement we can't know for sure.
Think the term target man's been misunderstood.  That doesn't mean reverting to launching it long, we don't play that way.  It can be someone with the savvy and strength to hold the ball and bring others into play, largely what DGW's been doing.  Love, Boyle etc have benefited from playing off a lead striker.  If Kriss can fill that role, ideal, but if not, they'll likely need to try & bring someone in.  I don't see how bringing in someone who could fill that specific role would cause disruption to the team spirit, don't follow that theory.
Peterhead & Edinburgh remain pretty consistent so we have to maintain a must win attitude for every game.  But both these teams have to play each other twice, we've still got two shots at Edinburgh and one at Peterhead.  If the Elgin game is re-arranged into March that would mean 7 of our remaining 11 matches would be at home.  So as long as we remain in the hunt by early March, by which time the hope would be DGW's back, certainly in with a shout.   Whether someone new is brought in to replace DGW or not, January & February will probably define whether we're title contenders or it's playoffs.
Will depend on manager and probably more importantly the budget , think the thought on disrupting the squad , would be these guys are putting in a shift trying to get into the team and bring someone in ahead if them , I wouldn't particularly bother but dynamics of a dressing room can be something managers are very aware of . The other problem of bringing someone in is basically they are coming in for what 4 / 5 games providing nothing postponed so it would more than likely be a very short loan I doubt we have money rattling about especially exiting the cup first round ( something that's probably coming back to haunt us a bit ) that said I don't think we need to panic I personally would go with what we have just now The spirit around the club is excellent let's trust the guys in the squad to step up to the plate plus midfield is chipping in with goals

3 hours ago, SLClyde said:

From what I’ve seen of Syvertsen, I don’t think he’s been overly effective out wide, however hasn’t done much wrong either. 

I’d give him a few games through the middle to see what he’s like, he’s definitely got the skill to hold it in and bring others into play, even take a run at defenders and beat them.

4 hours ago, BrigtonClyde said:

At a guess, if he was able to play the second half it suggests that.  Usually anywhere up to 6 weeks, but until there's another announcement we can't know for sure.

Think the term target man's been misunderstood.  That doesn't mean reverting to launching it long, we don't play that way.  It can be someone with the savvy and strength to hold the ball and bring others into play, largely what DGW's been doing.  Love, Boyle etc have benefited from playing off a lead striker.  If Kriss can fill that role, ideal, but if not, they'll likely need to try & bring someone in.  I don't see how bringing in someone who could fill that specific role would cause disruption to the team spirit, don't follow that theory.

Peterhead & Edinburgh remain pretty consistent so we have to maintain a must win attitude for every game.  But both these teams have to play each other twice, we've still got two shots at Edinburgh and one at Peterhead.  If the Elgin game is re-arranged into March that would mean 7 of our remaining 11 matches would be at home.  So as long as we remain in the hunt by early March, by which time the hope would be DGW's back, certainly in with a shout.   Whether someone new is brought in to replace DGW or not, January & February will probably define whether we're title contenders or it's playoffs.

Perhaps i did take the "target man" term as read, but for good reason. Whoever (if necessary) goes in the team, won't do the same job whatsoever DG does. But the pressure isn't on them. It's on our midfield to continue its dominance, while providing options for the defence missing its best out-ball (hence the term "target man", loosely).

Where the difference needs spelled out is that DG when "holding it up" is practically never stationary, and spends most of the time he's in possession deeper than at least one other player, normally a winger, rather than having balls pinged off him, something Syvertsen apparently ought to be able to provide because as a standard Nordic male, he's tall, and Boyle or Love won't be able to, by being short. Potentially losing Goodie appears to be panicking some into thinking we should abandon the system and style that's got us into this excellent position, and focusing on height now, in my eyes is an easy cop-out, verging on resigning ourselves to punting it and ignoring the team of actual footballers we finally have, because one is injured. What a terrible waste that would be. 

I genuinely think that over the next five fixtures, we can get the required results and points with or without DG in the side, and do so entirely because of the influence he's already exerted on the players around him. Syvertsen himself may only have had fleeting appearances since his Peterhead start, but imo he's looked better and a more rounded player than Belmokhtar was when coming on. Ergo, right now he's probably the likeliest option unless another striker is brought in. 

Personally, i felt the addition of a good one should have been priority, anyway. 

Edited by Officer Barbrady

Could make a move for Shane Sutherland at Elgin. Out of contract in the summer so probably available reasonably cheap. Decent player and knows where the net is, although questionable attitude maybe in terms of playing second fiddle to fit again Goodwillie.

1 minute ago, Clyde01 said:

Could make a move for Shane Sutherland at Elgin. Out of contract in the summer so probably available reasonably cheap. Decent player and knows where the net is, although questionable attitude maybe in terms of playing second fiddle to fit again Goodwillie.

Location could be a problem with him if he lives up that way, no idea if he does but could be an issue if he does. 

Stirling wanted him during the summer and he turned them down. He definitely stays up north and Id imagine he'll end up on a decent wage at Brora or Cove. On form, he's as good a player as there is in the division.

1 hour ago, cfcuk said:
5 hours ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Will depend on manager and probably more importantly the budget , think the thought on disrupting the squad , would be these guys are putting in a shift trying to get into the team and bring someone in ahead if them , I wouldn't particularly bother but dynamics of a dressing room can be something managers are very aware of . The other problem of bringing someone in is basically they are coming in for what 4 / 5 games providing nothing postponed so it would more than likely be a very short loan I doubt we have money rattling about especially exiting the cup first round ( something that's probably coming back to haunt us a bit ) that said I don't think we need to panic I personally would go with what we have just now The spirit around the club is excellent let's trust the guys in the squad to step up to the plate plus midfield is chipping in with goals

We've various midfielders vying for a position, and various defenders the same.  If someone was brought in for either of those, I could understand the disruption point

I can't think of anyone who's vying for DGW's.  Love IMO is vying for Boyle's, both dangerous playing off a lead striker.  Kriss is unknown. He might (hopefully) work out, but we've 1 game to find out before the window shuts.  So if we go for a tried and tested in that role, then it's a safer bet. Granted that's subject to availability. 

As long as they manage to find a way to keep winning that's all that matters.  I'm just basing it on DL's preferred system which suggests a new body needed.  But if he can adapt with what's there and still get the results, ideal. 

We now have fans wanting us to pay a fee for a player where the hell is the money coming from ? If we can bring in someone no guarantee they will be a success and they won't play when DGW comes back unless Lennon changes the system which I hope he wouldn't given the way we have been playing last 5 games