The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

Currie splits opinion, but mcniff thriving under Danny. Bizarre 

Just don't think he is a good centre half always a big mistake in there , just think we can get a better player than mcniff

The truth is football fans are a pretty loyal bunch and within reason existing fans will pay what is asked. However it is true that high pricing may deter non addicted potential new fans but in this day and age £14 does not buy that much and as another poster has pointed out the reality is the cost of running football clubs is rising fast. Clyde's pricing for children seems excellent to me. Under 12's free and an under 18 season of one quid a game. Bargain.

However how many kids regularly watch the Clyde? Not many I fear for a variety of reasons not least glory hunting, everyone supporting f-ing Chelsea due to Sky. I like the comment from another poster give a discount if you bring 2/3 kids. Critical to enthuse them when young to support the local team.

i think the real issue is not so much the price but the product. Keep up recent form and the price rise will soon be forgotten and you'll soon double your current gate. 

The truth is football fans are a pretty loyal bunch and within reason existing fans will pay what is asked. However it is true that high pricing may deter non addicted potential new fans but in this day and age £14 does not buy that much and as another poster has pointed out the reality is the cost of running football clubs is rising fast. Clyde's pricing for children seems excellent to me. Under 12's free and an under 18 season of one quid a game. Bargain.
However how many kids regularly watch the Clyde? Not many I fear for a variety of reasons not least glory hunting, everyone supporting f-ing Chelsea due to Sky. I like the comment from another poster give a discount if you bring 2/3 kids. Critical to enthuse them when young to support the local team.
i think the real issue is not so much the price but the product. Keep up recent form and the price rise will soon be forgotten and you'll soon double your current gate. 

I got my season ticket for £18 and it’s great that the club are offering such a great deal! Unfortunately this will be the last time I’m able to purchase the ticket for £18 but I have really took to Clyde now entering my fourth season as a supporter!

On a different topic;
Jack Breslin, Matt Flynn, Callum Home, Steve Kipre, Jordan Lowdon, Smart Osadolor, Lewis Wilson and Max Wright have all been released. Surprised to some extent at Home who was a solid League 2 player but I can only think that DL wants a better footballer from what he's saying. I can only assume the others have been offered new deals?
That would be Currie, Duffie, Stewart, McNiff, Cuddihy, Nicoll, Grant and McStay. Don't think there'd be many arguments about that lot.
Disappointed Home is going. If Danny Lennon has someone better in mind, the replacement must be a good centre half.

Although I was in the "Nicoll camp" in the back and forth debate over the season, I think I would let him go. His indiscipline, lack of pace and passing ability is a problem. Last season we had no one else to do the dirty work in midfield. I would hope the manager has an idea of a new improved model for next season.

Not bothered about Grant and McStay. Grant never impressed me and McStay faded dramatically in the last 4 games after a good start. I think there will be better available.

I've no problem with the rest. Duffie, who I thought was dreadful earlier in the season, really improved for the last third of the season and is worth keeping.

Not bothered about Grant and McStay. Grant never impressed me and McStay faded dramatically in the last 4 games after a good start. I think there will be better available.

I seriously doubt at league 2 level there will be many better options available than those two!

Yes mcstays form did dip for the last few games but at times he looked a cut above. Grants passing and composure very important too. I would be very pleased if we get those 2 signed up.

42 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Disappointed Home is going. If Danny Lennon has someone better in mind, the replacement must be a good centre half.

Although I was in the "Nicoll camp" in the back and forth debate over the season, I think I would let him go. His indiscipline, lack of pace and passing ability is a problem. Last season we had no one else to do the dirty work in midfield. I would hope the manager has an idea of a new improved model for next season.

I've no problem with the rest. Duffie, who I thought was dreadful earlier in the season, really improved for the last third of the season and is worth keeping.

Better than McStay available in League 2? Whit? :lol: 

If we can sign up everyone who Lennon wants to keep, then that's a brilliant core of a squad for this level. A few quality additions would see us well in the mix. 

Currie - not the most commanding but (since Lennon - and Gourlay - arrived) miles better than John Gibson ( :lol: ); his brilliant kicking is a great asset for us too
Duffie - looked lethargic and clunky initially but under Lennon showed good form; might have given Lennon food for thought RE: Lang as a right back
Lang - already contracted of course, looks to be a good athlete with a bit of footballing ability but maybe worth trying at centre back going forward
McNiff - was always capable of some really good defensive work in isolation but his performances were punctuated by huge gaffes, until Lennon; massively improved and would love to keep him
Stewart - a figure of consistency, the only player other than Goodwillie who can really say they performed to a consistent standard throughout the season
Cuddihy - initially didn't look anywhere near the rugby player Jim Chapman required, but showed he can be a good, versatile box-to-box midfielder in the second half of the season
Grant - think he would do better in a team which dominates possession; perhaps a little bit lightweight, but keeps things ticking over really well
McStay - quick, strong, an eye for goal, great range of passing; I would be surprised if he didn't receive any full-time offers, but the carrot of a full, successful season under a good coach might tempt him to stay
Nicoll - a very useful option to have; I doubt he'll be a starter next season if Lennon gets his way with his dealings but the sort of guy it's great to have one of in the squad; bodyings on tap
Goodwillie - already contracted; if he stays, the best player in the division; the sort of guy who will have us confident of a great season rather than a good one
Love - already contracted; didn't get to see a lot of him but he's clearly a good wee player; will we see more of a 4-4-2 next season with orthodox wingers to accommodate him?
Millar - already contracted; don't think he'll ever be cut out for this level of football sadly, but can never be accused of a lack of desire or effort

Like others, the only one of the released lot I'd wanted to stay on was Callum Home, who looked a good, solid League 2 centre back when he started playing there. Cogill was an upgrade though, I'd say. Flynn can maybe count himself a wee bit unlucky to have been released straight off the bat, but I'd be hoping for better than him anyway to be honest. Would love to have the Huddersfield pair back with us, as unlikely as that is. Lamont, I'm not too sure on. A bit too hot and cold for my liking - when he's on it, he's unplayable, but he lacks the physicality to impose himself on the game even when things aren't going his way. 

I'm going to call for justice for Steve Kipre, though. An absolute scandal that a man of his supreme ability has been wilfully released, particularly given the Goodwillie situation.

Edited by the_bully_wee

Just shows how opinions differ on players I just don't see mcniff as a reliable central defender , if anything home is a better player, mcstay and grant were instrumental in the turn around , duffle and Stewart two solid full backs and no reason not to keep them. Nicoll has also been excellent under Lennon and would retain I think one thing that should be taken into consideration is just because players are resigned doesn't mean they are certain to start games will be plenty players coming in as Danny Lennon has indicated . Even though I wouldn't keep some of the players we have offered contract , I have to trust the managers decision he hasn't done much wrong so far

21 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I sense I may be in a very small minority with this. You should all be glad I'm not the manager emoji16.png

Who is better that we can get in? Genuine question.

2 hours ago, Graeme P said:

disappointed to see Kipre released,  proven goalscorer.... 

any idea on him from anyone?  Why didn't it work out?

Aye. He was pish.

Who is better that we can get in? Genuine question.

The manager has stated that "We will be looking to secure some exciting young loan signings from big clubs north and south of the border. We will also be looking to make some quality signings of players with a proven track record".

I trust him to do that.

I have no memory of Lewis Wilson at all. Did he even play a game?

Played a couple of times start of season league cup and challenge cup , think he went o loan to cumbernauld ?

I have no memory of Lewis Wilson at all. Did he even play a game?

I remember him playing left back against Ayr United and being ripped apart.

Young Centre half out of position against a decent right winger. The genius of Chapman.

14 hours ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

The cost base of lower league teams has greatly increased since the 1990s - policing/security costs have gone up, each club must have a doctor at its home matches (pretty expensive for many), wage levels have been driven up not least due to the introduction of the trapdoor to the Lowland League and the general inflation of football players wages plus the implications of the Minimum Wage legislation for all employees, costs of complying with ever tougher licensing requirements, pension regulations meaning clubs now have to offer pension schemes, disappearance of much of transfer fee income due to Bosman, targeting of SFA youth support towards larger elite clubs, increased IT costs are some that come to mind.

The problem here is though Cowden that most of what you've quoted existed in the 90's.  Of course costs rise, but not to the point that far exceeds inflation in the way admission prices have.

Pension schemes now are far cheaper than they were since the removal of defined benefits or final salary schemes, the relaxation of regulations 15 years ago also reducing the minimum contribution levels.  If the players wages have risen so dramatically in excess of RPI while the standard has decreased or even at best remained the same, the clubs are accountable.  These players don't have streets paved with gold waiting for them elsewhere, they should be on modest basics in line with minimum wage (which in itself is around what they were paid 30 years ago), with performance / results related incentives added, typically win bonuses.  That's how it used to be when the standard was far greater.   The transfer income has disappeared for an obvious reason, the players being produced now wouldn't  generate one.  And incidentally, if your I.T. costs are high, something's very far wrong

But for the sake of argument, let's take what you've said at face value.  It all relates to incurred costs and earlier I mentioned the two factors, costs & demand, so bottom line, clubs are desperate for cash.

How are you going to attract new supporters to aleviate all of this if the current overpriced structure ultimately becomes outpriced?  Is the entire business model to place an extra burden each year on what you already have, and if so, do you think that's sustainable ?

In January during the winter break for Premier clubs, Pollok played at home against Arthurlie I think it was.  They got a crowd of 2000.  None of those attending thought they were about to watch Messi, but knew the kind of standard they'd likely see.  The reason they went along was because it was appropriately priced at £5...nip along, watch a kick about.  So they made £10k.  Do you honestly think that if the admission was £10 they'd have attracted even half that crowd to generate the same income?  That's fantasy land.

All the clubs need to start thinking outside the box, they are being told you are too expensive, the Stirling lad's example a case in point.  Two people paying £7 to get in generates more than one declining at £13.  It's no use clubs shrugging their shoulders and saying "that's just the way it is" while looking around a deserted ground.   Nobody is legally obliged to go to a football game, they can, and do, reply,  "£13 ?  Nah, no chance, that's just the way it is".