The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

27 minutes ago, Clyde85 said:

Rumsby for me wasn't sure about him at the start of the season but he's proved me wrong think he's a great defender now.

Also agree with Rumsby, again I wasn’t sure about signing a CH from a dead bottom L2 club but he’s been rock solid, I very much doubt he was signed as a starting player, more of a bench player but he’s took his chance, stayed fit and been very instrumental in our season. 

I'm baffled at how well Rumsby appears to have done at you guys. Sure he was a decent defender but he made so many mistakes with the ball at his feet it was unreal. I wasn't gutted in the slightest he left us - he cost us quite a few goals.

His attitude however is top drawer and never hid. Would wrestle his granny for the ball.

He made plenty of mistakes earlier in the season in possession. He has obviously been well coached, plus he is benefiting from playing in a team that other sides are petrified to press far up the pitch.

Scott Rumsby was excellent at Stranraer alongside Frank McKeown. The pair enjoyed a really dominant partnership during Stevie Aitken's boom-time with the Blues. I was surprised to see him dropping into League 2 with Cowdenbeath (no disrespect) but it's good to see he's on the way back up. A very capable defender.

Rumsby has been immense for us this season. Whether its Lennon’s coaching or confidence who knows, but he just does what a CH at this level does, in addition he rarely gives free kicks away which is unusual at this level, is physical enough and in actual fact his distribution has been very good. Him and Lang compliment each other really well. Lang also has just about rid himself of the casual streak that threatened to ruin him game.
Always liked Grant but again has added a bit of physicality to his game.. important player.

Rumsby has been immense for us this season. Whether its Lennon’s coaching or confidence who knows, but he just does what a CH at this level does, in addition he rarely gives free kicks away which is unusual at this level, is physical enough and in actual fact his distribution has been very good. Him and Lang compliment each other really well. Lang also has just about rid himself of the casual streak that threatened to ruin him game.
Always liked Grant but again has added a bit of physicality to his game.. important player.

by casual you mean taking the ball and passing to the midfield rather than shelling the ball up the park into a corner Rumsby has been solid no more no less you get what you see as you say what you need at this level, since the new year the defence has been terrific

Until the Stirling win on the 16th March, we had hardly put a consistent scoring run together. In fact, we scored 1 goal in 7 consecutive games leading up to that game, after a nice wee run of 2s and 3s over Xmas and the New Year. The fact that during this dry Jan-March patch, we won 4, drew 2 and lost 1. Before the away Peterhead victory, we often had to score just to ENSURE we got a point, such was our defensive fragility until this "casual streak" came off the bench at Balmoor to help get Currie and Stewart out of jail.

I find it hugely ironic that during a period where we are now thoroughly trouncing, and coming back from the dead, against teams we've struggled badly in dealing with for years, some are praising Lang where they heavily criticised him in particular during the 1-0/1-1 spell, where in my opinion if he WAS fannying around, we'd have lost more points than we did; or, alternatively had we not had him AT ALL, we' d have continued to concede at the alarming rates we were, and been lucky to hold off Annan for 4th spot, again in my opinion. If h he were as guilty of this as some think, he'd be doing it a lot fucking more at 3-0 and 5-0 up in the lat two weeks to atttact further attention, would he not?

The statistics are 100% on my side in this one. We're the lucky ones watching these young lads grow- not the other way round.

Edited by Officer Barbrady

We've only had 16 clean sheets which ties us with Edinburgh, and even then that's if we ignore the fact we actually lost 3-0 to Albion Rovers. In the same way that Goodwillie didn't actually reach 50 goals until last week, not against Peterhead, as his strike v QP  has been deleted from the records.

On 27/04/2019 at 23:31, the_bully_wee said:

The best metaphor for Barry Ferguson's first season (and reign as a whole, I suppose) was Alan Martin dropping and smashing his glass PotY trophy at the awards night.

Was that the guy who went to accies

Noted the crowd was 1012 - I thought it looked more than that ? - anyway if we get promoted (champs or play-offs) there are one or two teams who will bring decent away supports with them (something we have missed out on for years)..
let's put it this way do think you could put that crowd in the stand another 3 1/2 times [emoji6] good to break 4 figures and even better to see lots of new as well as old faces [emoji106]

Regardless of the results at the weekend DL and AM have worked wonders, when you look at the serious injuries to major players we have suffered this season.

Duffie , McNiff , Lang , Cogill, Stewart, Nicoll and Goodwillie have all had lengthy injuries.  Then  Syvertsen and Love both had injuries at the same time Goodwillie was

out, leaving us with no recognised striker.  Just when you think you have a clean bill of health Rankin suffers a broken ankle.

15 hours ago, nickCFC58 said:

IMG_8523.jpg

Remember folk on this thread were saying Currie is shit???

Loaded post, that. How can criticism of other players (most notably two) be justifiable but not for Currie? Nine clean sheets in three and a half months is as much a collective effort, from the central defence, through Grant patrolling, Cuddihy and Rankin taking us thirty yards into enemy territory and to DG holding it up, as eight CS in the previous five months were often fraught with fear of impending disaster among the defensive triangle. He's been very well protected in recent months as the team has grown stronger, not the other way round. He generally makes good saves when presented with a plain shot (of sorts) but i'm still unsure what his comfort zone is, and tbh i'm not sure even he knows. That this isn't explored via the coaching he receives/gives by himself, will only harm his prospects going forward, not enhance them. 

Edited by Officer Barbrady

I think he is a decent keeper. Just some decision making at times, whether to come off his line or not or tends not to command if it’s 50 /50 him or defender to get to the ball, hesitating at times and causes a bit of confusion.