The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

Not strikers but may have to go with Boyle or maybe Lamont? Can’t think of any other option. I’m certainly not a fan of sticking a Centre Half up front, who knows? 

Unless of course Mr Goodwillie makes an earier  than expected return with a cricket pad wrapped round his arm!

With Boyle and Lamont struggling to find any sort of consistency, I'd actually say that an attacking midfielder is a smart acquisition. I read earlier that Banks was the top scorer in his age group last year at United, so hopefully he can provide a goal threat - one apiece for the aforementioned pair isn't a good return. Syvertsen has, in my opinion, shown that he can provide adequate cover for Goodwillie if required, particularly against Cowdenbeath. 

As for tomorrow, I've no idea what Lennon will end up going for if Syvertsen and Love are both out. Boyle's deployment as a striker earlier in the season - albeit against markedly better opposition - was a miserable failure, but I don't really see any other option for us there. A change of system and fluid rotation between attacking midfielders is probably our best shout, maybe with Rankin playing a bit more advanced. If anyone was to compile a list of ideal teams against which to have such a problem, though, Rovers would be pretty high up on it.

21 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

Nothing about Syvertsen or Love missing on the match preview on the website. Only mentions Goodwillie as being out with Banks and Fitzpatrick added to the squad.

Most likely because the Club don’t particularly want the opposition to know too much in advance of the match- anyone privy to inside information should probably think about that.

With Boyle and Lamont struggling to find any sort of consistency, I'd actually say that an attacking midfielder is a smart acquisition. I read earlier that Banks was the top scorer in his age group last year at United, so hopefully he can provide a goal threat - one apiece for the aforementioned pair isn't a good return. Syvertsen has, in my opinion, shown that he can provide adequate cover for Goodwillie if required, particularly against Cowdenbeath. 

As for tomorrow, I've no idea what Lennon will end up going for if Syvertsen and Love are both out. Boyle's deployment as a striker earlier in the season - albeit against markedly better opposition - was a miserable failure, but I don't really see any other option for us there. A change of system and fluid rotation between attacking midfielders is probably our best shout, maybe with Rankin playing a bit more advanced. If anyone was to compile a list of ideal teams against which to have such a problem, though, Rovers would be pretty high up on it.

Been a problem all season , what if DGW is injured/ suspended it came down to kriss S

Filling in as striker not sure that's what he was signed to do , we have filled the squad with midfielders and defenders some of who have virtually no chance of even coming on as a sub nevermind starting and we bring in a winger , might turn out to be a great signing but I would have thought now it would have been a striker we would be signing , suppose that's modern football seems the school of thought is fill your squad full of midfield players Just hope the strategy doesn't come back and haunt us Promotion will now depend on DGW coming back and scoring / creating chances

We should easily have enough to beat a team who have managed 1 win all season but after that 4 crucial games fingers crossed DGW is back

I would say it's been a potential problem all season, but not really one which has seriously materialised at any point (Edinburgh at home and tomorrow, if the injury rumours are true, excepted). Syvertsen did well enough against Cowden in what was his first proper outing as a lone striker, then scored a great goal down at Annan in his second despite a poor overall team performance. Love is being championed for a start by some, but he doesn't really fit the profile of the type of attacking midfielder Lennon seems to want in the team at the moment, so he's the third choice striker I would say. Three players who can play there is fine by me - everyone would obviously rather a better quality, bonafide striker came in, but they are hard to come by without paying money of the sort we likely don't have available. Peterhead play with two or sometimes, it could be said, three up front and they only have three strikers in their squad (with Dow being a winger/attacking midfielder who can play there). Edinburgh are similar; they have two strikers, and then one more who generally plays wide but can fill in. Belmokhtar came in to mass relief at the time, but after a few promising cameos established himself as dross. If we were to add a striker then it would have to be someone who is a clear and obvious improvement on Love, if not Syvertsen too - again, not easy to find cheaply. It's also hardly as if many clubs would be willing to loan us a promising young striker for buttons in the knowledge that he would be warming the bench whenever Goodwillie was available. I'm happy enough that we've brought another body in as, other than Syvertsen when Goodwillie returns, we didn't previously really have any serious competition when it came to Lamont and Boyle. As regards the striker situation, it's worth remembering that this run of games (other than one isolated game when his daughter was born) is the first Goodwillie has missed for us. Despite the kickings he routinely takes, in almost two years he has never missed a game through injury before the last couple, and he will most likely be back after one, if not two, more.

Hi Folks.  I attended yesterday's match a a neutral, and although the better side certainly won, it was hardly a Clyde performance to live long in the memory of the home support, I would suggest.  That old cliche about playing poorly yet still winning was never more apt.

A few pix'n'scribbles may be found here if anyone is interested:

https://ian38018.blogspot.com/2011/05/clyde-broadwood-stadium.html

(Scroll down past the 1998 Stenhousemuir stuff)

22 minutes ago, Ian38018 said:

Hi Folks.  I attended yesterday's match a a neutral, and although the better side certainly won, it was hardly a Clyde performance to live long in the memory of the home support, I would suggest.  That old cliche about playing poorly yet still winning was never more apt.

A few pix'n'scribbles may be found here if anyone is interested:

https://ian38018.blogspot.com/2011/05/clyde-broadwood-stadium.html

(Scroll down past the 1998 Stenhousemuir stuff)

A good wee read that. Thanks. Only other point I’d add to that (and not that you could really have known beforehand) is not only were we missing Goodwillie but also his direct replacements, Kris Syvertsen (head knock) and Ally Love (ankle injury). We ended up playing a centre-half up front too so it’s not a surprise we had little up top!

Edited by Scott-Replay

3 hours ago, Scott-Replay said:

A good wee read that. Thanks. Only other point I’d add to that (and not that you could really have known beforehand) is not only were we missing Goodwillie but also his direct replacements, Kris Syvertsen (head knock) and Ally Love (ankle injury). We ended up playing a centre-half up front too so it’s not a surprise we had little up top!

Fair comment, Sir.   I shall follow that three-horse race with interest over the next few months.