The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

Absolutely not.

However, neither should we base our signings on their previous clubs. We need to look at the quality of the player. Nothing else.

Thanks for the correction on the Cowdenbeath match. You're absolutely correct.

At our end of the scale, arguably one of the first points of knowledge on a player is his current/former clubs. We'll rarely have seen ours on the telly or read about them in the papers, so until we see them against what we already have we're hostages to that. 

Add in the fact that if other teams see what we see, from match videos etc, it makes our acquisition more difficult. Peterhead saw it with Tom Lang also. 

They never approached Scott Rumsby. Edited: on this occasion. Thanks DW for pointing that out. 

Edited by Officer Barbrady

Scott Rumsby has played 17 times for Peterhead.

They also signed the definition of average in Callum Home, Michael Dunlop who is a poor defender, and kept on David McCracken who was past it years ago.

I'd not use them as any sort of marker for scouting centre halves, whether they've seen them before or not.

Edited by David W

And Lennon is telling all and sundry that he keeps getting viruses , they really need to get their story right.

So still waiting on someone telling me why he is on the bench if he can't play ?

His initial spell out was back related I was told (spinal alignment issue was the exact phrasing). Whether that’s the case now I’m not sure. I asked around 4 or 5 weeks ago, possibly even longer.

As to how that was or is treated and whether sitting as a sub affects that. I have no idea. I’ll trust the physio team and player to make that call.

His initial spell out was back related I was told (spinal alignment issue was the exact phrasing). Whether that’s the case now I’m not sure. I asked around 4 or 5 weeks ago, possibly even longer.

As to how that was or is treated and whether sitting as a sub affects that. I have no idea. I’ll trust the physio team and player to make that call.
So it's not viruses that's keeping him out ?
Might a face fitting injury then[emoji23]

So it's not viruses that's keeping him out ?
Might a face fitting injury then[emoji23]

It could be now. I don’t know. I only stated what I was told at the time I asked. If other have asked more recently and got told viruses it may well be that.

1 hour ago, David W said:

Scott Rumsby has played 17 times for Peterhead.

They also signed the definition of average in Callum Home, Michael Dunlop who is a poor defender, and kept on David McCracken who was past it years ago.

I'd not use them as any sort of marker for scouting centre halves, whether they've seen them before or not.

They saw enough from 17 apps to discard him. He's exceeded that already here, and the signs are McInally is getting these right more often than we are.

And Lennon appeared to be making *something* of Home until his injury, given that he'd been under Chapman's guidance for 18 months he lad may have a case against JC for career sabotage. 

Why is it that OUR players only appeal to the majority of OUR supporters when they have some sort of glaring deficiency and/or victimhood complex? I'd love to blame the last decade for knocking the metaphorical stuffing out of fans, but this underlying arrogance and snobbery has existed for years. It's laughable we still have it haunting the place. 

When it comes to man of the match points, Rumsby (5 points) is only one point behind "classy" Chris McStay (6 points) having played six games less.

Rumsby has not been as bad as some are making out. A little bit more protection from our midfield may be of help.

8 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

When it comes to man of the match points, Rumsby (5 points) is only one point behind "classy" Chris McStay (6 points) having played six games less.

Rumsby has not been as bad as some are making out. A little bit more protection from our midfield may be of help.

Using man of the match points to argue anything is absolute desperation. According to that method, John Gibson was our second best player in 15-16.

Rumsby looks good for 85 minutes but if you add up the wee errors he makes and the totally needless losses of possession, over a run of games he turns out not to be good enough. 

Using man of the match points to argue anything is absolute desperation. According to that method, John Gibson was our second best player in 15-16.
Rumsby looks good for 85 minutes but if you add up the wee errors he makes and the totally needless losses of possession, over a run of games he turns out not to be good enough. 
You're right of course.

Lamont, McStay, Boyle in midfield and Currie in goal are doing a great job.

And how many points has Goodwillie cost us with his poor finishing this season? I'd guess more than Rumsby with his poor defending.

As with Goodwillie and others, we should only drop Rumsby if we have better in the squad. The manager obviously doesn't think we do.

Incidentally, I'd like to see Lang in at centre half but that's more out of curiosity than conviction.

Who did you ask?

Two members of the backroom staff before the Stirling match at home, if my memory serves me correctly. It wasn’t something I thought I would need to recall so the match may be wrong. May have been at an earlier home match.

Rumsby does a decent job and until there’s a major issue I don’t see any reason to throw Lang in. That doesn’t mean rush him out the door either, if he’s patient I’m sure he’ll get his chance at some point.

More importantly, the defence (though shakey at times) isn’t really the issue. In the last 10 games we’ve only scored more than a single goal twice, the 3-1 win at Elgin and the draw with Berwick. You simply can’t expect to win games consistently, especially at this level, without scoring a couple of goals in most games. We need Goodwillie to start finding the net again, hope Rankin can keep chipping in with a few, and our starting line-up should always include either Boyle or Love, as our next best goal threats.

ETA: I just noticed I was including the Linlithgow friendly in the last 10 games, so it's really scored 3 three times (including the 3-2 win at Berwick), but still 7 games with one goal or less.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

Goodwillie gets himself in position   for a 1 on 1 with the keeper  loads of times throughout  games and never receives the ball. He needs more service from team mates. He can't do it all by himself. He hasn't scored much lately but i'm sure he'll bounce back. The best player at the club for years. 

Edited by BW Charlie

Two members of the backroom staff before the Stirling match at home, if my memory serves me correctly. It wasn’t something I thought I would need to recall so the match may be wrong. May have been at an earlier home match.

Thanks for that clarification.

16 hours ago, haufdaft said:

I'm not sure if "protection" or any such thing is applicable in this instance, HD. The absence of a deep-lying passer while Grant is seconded, and the generally quick tempo of the midfield as a four-plus-one unit as it exists is giving both CBs the chance to breathe and play their natural game. The fragility of past partnerships might have required a Paul Hay or Capuano-type, as opposed to a creative sitter in the Sheridan or Millen mould, which Grant may hopefullygrow into. But in essence, deploying a midfielder to babysit is a clear admission that your defence is just shite. That is definitely not the case for us, right now. 

I'd say our current defensive options are the strongest we've had at any time in this division, Rumsby included. The only recent-past team Lennon's Clyde would remotely have any problems against would be Duffy's last lot, but they'd still beat them fairly comfortably. Ferguson's three or four teams would each get 3 or 4 goal spankings by comparison. 

1 hour ago, Clyde85 said:

I see Gary Harkins  has been released by queens. Would be a great signing for any club at this level.

I’d agree he’d be a good player down here but I’n not sure he’d fit in our squad currently anyway as we already have so many midfielders (that’s if he’d be interested of course).

25 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

He's signing for Edinburgh City, by all accounts. Heard that he has signed a two and a half year, £800 per week deal with them. Crazy.

I hope that is true. Given sufficient rope they will hang themselves. Unless someone is so wealthy they can prop up for years to come of course.

1 hour ago, the_bully_wee said:

He's signing for Edinburgh City, by all accounts. Heard that he has signed a two and a half year, £800 per week deal with them. Crazy.

That's mental surely they can't continue paying players that much! Balatoni will probably be on the same an all.