The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

In possession today we were neat and tidy from time to time playing little triangles but there were 2 basic problems
First, many of the lads were misplacing passes and giving the ball away too easily when under no real pressure. That can be down to a bad day at the office but also possibly linked to the  severe lack of movement meaning the guy in possession had few good options,  usually in the final third. At the moment the build up play's too laboured, by comparison Stirling were creating some half chances after just a few simple passes
We've talented individuals but at times we look just that, a team of them instead of a cohesive unit all understanding their roles, and for whatever reason lacking in a bit of confidence at times. Maybe getting the late equaliser will give them a boost on the back of last week and they can kick on again.
The effort's there, they just look unsure at times exactly what they're about. But to pick out any specific player as the cause for all this is the usual P&B standard

Look at the game today carbon copy of queens park , cowdenbeath bullied in midfield apart from nicol everyone of them are pushed off the ball with ease yes we have players with talent but how many winners ? As for picking individuals isn't down to one individual , for this league we are lightweight , didn't think the defenders looked clever at the goal ( or the goalkeeper) Stirling didn't look like a team who are 8th in the league , but I will leave the analysis of the Stirling performance to Lennon

8 hours ago, cfcuk said:
10 hours ago, BrigtonClyde said:
In possession today we were neat and tidy from time to time playing little triangles but there were 2 basic problems
First, many of the lads were misplacing passes and giving the ball away too easily when under no real pressure. That can be down to a bad day at the office but also possibly linked to the  severe lack of movement meaning the guy in possession had few good options,  usually in the final third. At the moment the build up play's too laboured, by comparison Stirling were creating some half chances after just a few simple passes
We've talented individuals but at times we look just that, a team of them instead of a cohesive unit all understanding their roles, and for whatever reason lacking in a bit of confidence at times. Maybe getting the late equaliser will give them a boost on the back of last week and they can kick on again.
The effort's there, they just look unsure at times exactly what they're about. But to pick out any specific player as the cause for all this is the usual P&B standard

Look at the game today carbon copy of queens park , cowdenbeath bullied in midfield apart from nicol everyone of them are pushed off the ball with ease yes we have players with talent but how many winners ? As for picking individuals isn't down to one individual , for this league we are lightweight , didn't think the defenders looked clever at the goal ( or the goalkeeper) Stirling didn't look like a team who are 8th in the league , but I will leave the analysis of the Stirling performance to Lennon

We look static at times. That would apply to the goal we lost and the one disallowed, you could see what was going to happen before the ball was even crossed

But as I said, in possession, it's a problem meaning few clear chances being created. 

Just as a couple of examples, at one point Cuddihy's driving up the right, looks up and he's staring at statues. Nobody's offering a run and the two lads in the box are stationary. Tries his best to create something but gets outnumbered. 

Then just before we equalised we're on the attack and the entire Stirling team get back to defend, but we've still got 5 players on the halfway line casually strolling forward

That's a collective team responsibility. Yes at times we were a bit too easily knocked off the ball but more often than not that was caused by being caught in possession waiting for a decent option to make themselves available, or they hadn't taken up a good position in space in the first place.  Lack of movement, frustration sets in, they lose patience and end up trying shots from 25 yards with a defender in front of them

We're certainly missing Stewart at LB but overall they're not clicking as a team the way they did previously. Maybe it'll take a few results to build that, I don't know, but that seemed the main problem to me

16 minutes ago, Scotchpie said:

Certainly won't be making me hit the road to Elgin. Thats 4/5 without a win now and arguably we only played second half v Berwick and Citys defence was short so currently not impressed. We're fortunate still to be in a play off spot.

Stagnation since the 3_1 win in Edinburgh (late April).

On the Goodwillie thing; agreed he is off form, for his standards, but talk of dropping him is absurd.

What would that achieve? We are not blessed with cover anywhere near his quality.

Replace with who?

In any case as with all strikers who go through a lean patch, let him play through it and it will come.

Certainly won't be making me hit the road to Elgin. Thats 4/5 without a win now and arguably we only played second half v Berwick and Citys defence was short so currently not impressed. We're fortunate still to be in a play off spot.

City’s defence wasn’t short, they were missing Danny handling and mark laird, neither of whom are defenders.

Anyone calling for Goodwillie to be dropped must be having a laugh (and clearly missed last week when he ran riot). He is missing a few chances but when it clicks he will go on a scoring spree again. Our entire game plan needs to be focussed on playing to his strengths. Get Goodwillie decent service and firing and we will be sorted.

It’s the supporting cast that need to up it for me. Mcstay shows flashes of class followed by moments of utter pish, far too inconsistent. Lamont again looks very good at times but disappears completely regularly. The Norwegian lad fades badly after about 60mins, hopefully that will change with games under his belt. Karim is far too greedy at times and tries to be over fancy when simple would do fine. These are all good players but need to show more consistency and play as a unit more.

Our midfield got bullied at times again yesterday, after Stirling went 1 nil up there was a spell where they were winning every 50-50 and knocking our boys off the ball with ease. That needs addressed.

Finally shouts of ‘f**k off’, ‘get him tae f**k’ etc are not helpful. I understand people are frustrated but after going a goal down the atmosphere quickly turned with Mcstay and rankin getting the brunt of the abuse. (Mcstay was very poor, rankin did ok imo) but not sure how telling these guys to get to f**k helps.

We have a decent squad of individuals but Danny needs to sort the into an effective team unit, especially in midfield.

5 minutes ago, BW Charlie said:

Start by getting Currie learned to kick. Good keeper from the waist up but 99.5 % of what he kicks lands at the opposition or goes out of play. Dropping Goodwillie is crazy. Try giving him the ball to feet when he makes his runs. Best player at the club in years.

I thought everyone was going on about how GOOD his distribution is? And I’ve never seen a keeper more reluctant to put his hands above his shoulders. Before Edinburgh where he actually made a save or two- the last 8 attempts on target resulted in a goal conceded...... give Hughes a chance now.... pleaaaaaasssse

FFS what is going on here? 

Drop Goodwillie, wtf planet are some people on?

Drop Currie, omg, think he has been fine this season and as good as any other keeper in this division and as for anyone moaning about his kicking, jeezo, he is probably the best long ball passer we have in the entire team.

Some people need to get a grip, can you imagine our team without Goodie well i can,  remember the game he missed against Edinburgh, that was evidence enough for me, even Goodwillie not at his best is far better than not having him playing.

Edited by Pride Of The Clyde