The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

I seen Derek Gaston left Morton, he would be a decent, experienced addition if he was willing to go part-time.

Quite content with business so far. Imagine Boyle and Cogill will be heading back South, hoping Cogill leaving has paved the way for Lang to stay though. Smith and Johnston add some depth in the final third which we lacked at times this season, and are both good players into the bargain. Pleased with Cuddihy, Lamont and Rankin extending their stays.

FAO Lang, Grant and McStay, nae pressure but I have a spare pen if yees need it. I suppose McNiff and Love deserve a shot of it aswell. 

Happy enough with those released. Currie had a poor season and without an obvious excuse. Stewart, albeit our best left-back in my opinion, has been injury prone and doesn't have the engine Lennon's looking for on that side; he's not the mirror image of Cuddihy, in other words.

Dissapointed we didn't give Cogill and Boyle deals. Having said that, there is a glut of quality in the squad, and I've been the very one saying we've an excess of centre-backs and midfielders. Someone had to go, and those two don't have the record that their competition do (e.g. Rumbsy, Lang; Syvertsen, Lamont, Banks).

Those two could be picked up by other clubs and do really well, IMO.
you just became public enemy no 1 for the Currie fan club [emoji23]

yours ex public enemy number 1 [emoji6]

like any team we will probably lose our better players
I can't see Lang or Mcstay getting better offers Grant I'm not sure there will be a queue of clubs for him ( hopefully ) he also does a lot of coaching with us so he might see that as a bonus to stay whatever happens we have to trust DL the squad is shaping up nicely Smith and particularly Johnstone are cracking signings
Currie divided opinion will be interesting to see if he gets a club above league 2 not bothered at all he has left good luck to him and all the players released .

Goalkeeper wise I was as big a supporter of Currie as anyone over the last two seasons but I think people need their heads checked if they don't think we can upgrade that position. We will lose out greatly his distribution, but he's the first goalkeeper I've ever seen who can't be described as a great shot-stopper, and he's never managed to start saving shots that bounce low right in front of him. We are moving up to what looks like a challenging division, his position is clearly one that can be upgraded from the team who started most of the second half of the season.

Centre half is a position where you pick up most injuries over a season so we really need four players. Rumsby had a great season but is probably the least talented of the four we had. McNiff has been playing left-back. Losing Cogill and Lang would be unthinkable; we are then looking for a couple of ball-playing centre halves, or a change of playing style.

Full backs we are sorted on the right with Cuddihy and Duffie and it wouldn't surprise me if the former is employed in midfield in some of the more challenging games. Not surprised to see Stewart leave as although he was a classy player, he doesn't really have one outstanding attribute; he's not particularly quick, not good in the air, didn't  overlap going forward. Plus he didn't ever seem fit last year. He'll definitely get picked up by a more defensive team and be a standout. Need to bring someone better in now.

Keeping Rankin and Lamont is obviously good, although I'm not convinced the former will make as big an impact next season. I don't see any value in keeping Nicoll, Lyon or Love and hopefully they are away on holiday and set to be released on their return. McStay and Grant are obviously very important or again we're looking for very specific players to fit in with the way we should be playing. Boyle going isn't a surprise at all; he had a run of games last season and didn't ever make himself undroppable. Quite simply, he didn't protect the ball.

Attacking-wise, I think Goodwillie, Smith, Johnston and Syvertsen is a great selection given it's not even the end of May. Wouldn't complain about one more but that's a strong start.

I have no idea where Fitzpatrick fits in. Can only assume he's a centre half.

Good luck to all of those released given their roles this season.

I thought Ross Lyon was a loan player, from Rangers, I think. If so,  we have no responsibility there, he simply returns to whence he came. 

See next post, thanks.

Edited by chas

2 minutes ago, nickCFC58 said:

Surely we haven’t ditched Currie for him

One of Stranraer's outstanding players in - and in the seasons before - they finished second in League One? 

Mitchell hasn't played much football at all in the last wee while but he's still got a good amount of experience and pedigree at this level. Perhaps not a massive upgrade on Currie, but an upgrade nevertheless.