The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

You'd be very hard-pressed to find a keeper with better kicking and passing ability than Currie outside of full-time clubs in Scotland. Distribution is by far the strongest part of his game, and he's not exactly a bad keeper outside of that, although prone to the occasional lapse (unfortunately maybe twice vs Peterhead). 

2 minutes ago, cfcuk said:

going for the league let's start a point scoring exercise about the merits of the goalkeeper emoji23.png

On 28/04/2019 at 17:56, cfcuk said:
On 28/04/2019 at 17:21, FREDDYFRY said:
Rumsby has been immense for us this season. Whether its Lennon’s coaching or confidence who knows, but he just does what a CH at this level does, in addition he rarely gives free kicks away which is unusual at this level, is physical enough and in actual fact his distribution has been very good. Him and Lang compliment each other really well. Lang also has just about rid himself of the casual streak that threatened to ruin him game.
Always liked Grant but again has added a bit of physicality to his game.. important player.

by casual you mean taking the ball and passing to the midfield rather than shelling the ball up the park into a corner Rumsby has been solid no more no less you get what you see as you say what you need at this level, since the new year the defence has been terrific

By casual I mean he was playing at full back and for some reason gave the ball away and was casual in possession. The reason being, he was in position he couldn’t play, a fact obvious to everyone.

Since moving to what it seems is his natural position he has been immense. Power, pace and dominant in the air.. probably now best CH in the league.

5 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

By casual I mean he was playing at full back and for some reason gave the ball away and was casual in possession. The reason being, he was in position he couldn’t play, a fact obvious to everyone.

Since moving to what it seems is his natural position he has been immense. Power, pace and dominant in the air.. probably now best CH in the league.

I wasn't getting at you! Your post was only quoted when I was just making the point that cfcuk himself was doing with Lang just the other day what others are now doing with Currie. Lang's been a revelation since he's come in but he does have a tendency to suffer a drop off in concentration a few times within a game. I don't completely understand the golden boy status he appears to hold with some, but he's a very good player and one I'd hope we can hold on to.

I wasn't getting at you! Your post was only quoted when I was just making the point that cfcuk himself was doing with Lang just the other day what others are now doing with Currie. Lang's been a revelation since he's come in but he does have a tendency to suffer a drop off in concentration a few times within a game. I don't completely understand the golden boy status he appears to hold with some, but he's a very good player and one I'd hope we can hold on to.
glad you monitor my posts [emoji6]

It's all a bit of fun really that's why I had the [emoji23]

I agree that he can occasionally drop off but I haven’t seen that as much in recent games. He’s held in such high esteem because his ability on the ball, his control, confidence and distribution on top of his defensive duties surpasses that of most CBs in the lower tiers. Not one CB we’ve had since Higgins could lace his boots imo

On 29/04/2019 at 19:12, FREDDYFRY said:

I actually thought his distribution was one of his main attributes to be honest.

I just remember him blazing quite a few goal kicks or punts straight out the park over the last few games I've been at.

Maybe being harsh on him because I dont see him play every week.

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

52 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

I just remember him blazing quite a few goal kicks or punts straight out the park over the last few games I've been at.

Maybe being harsh on him because I dont see him play every week.

I think that stemmed from trying to find McNiff out wide with his kick outs (kicks out?) - more so against certain opponents.  Lennon has them avoiding an agricultural punt up the park as much as possible and that sometimes results in the above.  Some fans get annoyed by this but don’t seem to see what’s behind it (i.e. avoiding giving the ball away when we don’t have a big target man to play route one football).  The margin for error is far smaller when Currie is aiming for a guy on the touch line, compared to a safe punt to the middle (where it’s 50/50 at best that we keep possession).  That’s my take on it anyway.

29 minutes ago, WBR said:

I think that stemmed from trying to find McNiff out wide with his kick outs (kicks out?) - more so against certain opponents.  Lennon has them avoiding an agricultural punt up the park as much as possible and that sometimes results in the above.  Some fans get annoyed by this but don’t seem to see what’s behind it (i.e. avoiding giving the ball away when we don’t have a big target man to play route one football).  The margin for error is far smaller when Currie is aiming for a guy on the touch line, compared to a safe punt to the middle (where it’s 50/50 at best that we keep possession).  That’s my take on it anyway.

That's a very good breakdown. McNiff is arguably- no, IS- our best aerial threat, and going to the left with kicks out, going up against wide rights/fullbacks undoubtedly increases our chances of retention than going central. And, of course, it works.

1 hour ago, WBR said:

Good point. Would agree with that as well.