The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

Len McCluskey spotted lunching with Tommy Sheridan in the Westerwood. Two prolific strikers, right there. 

To take it seriously for a second, unless we can source a player perhaps on the fringes a league or two above, with a reasonable record behind him, i don't see any harm in either Syvertsen taking the mantle, or even Boyle/Love rotating the position, as they'd still have Rankin beavering away in behind, and RG and CMS controlling the centre of the park, not to mention Lamont. Lyon may also creep in from off the bench. If the rumours come to pass, of course its a blow, but we're well stocked to carry on as we are. 

Lennon will just have to ensure this doesn’t have a big mental effect on the team. Wonder if he will look at a short term loan deal with someone. Experienced player returning from injury or not starting with a “bigger “ team for example? Easier said than done I suppose.

End of the day these things happen and suppose have to be thankful it’s not an Easton type knee injury etc. Goodwillie hasn’t missed many games at all so going to happen at some point... over to Danny now to see what we can do.  Just have to try to keep the brilliant positive attitude the team has, fortunately no game this week so a wee bit of time to look at alternatives.

We're in a far better place to absorb this blow (and it is a dreadful blow) than we were back in August. There's no doubt that Lennon got the team wrong against Edinburgh with a very flat midfield, with Grant and Nicoll centrally, and basically trying to plug Love into Goodwillie's role, with a lost Boyle alongside. The latter is now in decent form, and we're now playing a fluid midfield that will get people in and around the box. Syvertsen I reckon probably won't run in behind but has shown in flashes that he can drop off the front and play with his back to goal and link up with runners moving off him. Straight swap in my eyes but Love likely to come in as well at some point if it's a long absence.

The timing could be worse (even though we don't know the timescale) but I reckon Stirling away will be the hardest game we have outside of the top two so hopefully there's a wee bit of frost that morning.

Alternatively, find this year's Stevie May.

9 hours ago, Officer Barbrady said:

Len McCluskey spotted lunching with Tommy Sheridan in the Westerwood. Two prolific strikers, right there. 

To take it seriously for a second, unless we can source a player perhaps on the fringes a league or two above, with a reasonable record behind him, i don't see any harm in either Syvertsen taking the mantle, or even Boyle/Love rotating the position, as they'd still have Rankin beavering away in behind, and RG and CMS controlling the centre of the park, not to mention Lamont. Lyon may also creep in from off the bench. If the rumours come to pass, of course its a blow, but we're well stocked to carry on as we are. 

Possibly big M sNiff ?

It is a tough one do we try and get someone in who could disrupt the team spirit that we have at the moment or do we keep trust with the players. I'd like the Norwegian boy to get a chance to play there he's big, strong and direct. There's no way Boyle should play upfront far too small and lightweight.

Agree not Boyle, not his game to play as a lone striker, nor Ally Love, again like him but didn't work last time when Goodie was missing (Edinburgh game). In saying that we are miles better now from that game. 

Suppose depends on how long Goodwillie will be out might determine if Lennon attempts to get someone else in. I tend to think he will try Syvertsen at least once to see how we go.

52 minutes ago, Clyde85 said:

It is a tough one do we try and get someone in who could disrupt the team spirit that we have at the moment or do we keep trust with the players. I'd like the Norwegian boy to get a chance to play there he's big, strong and direct. There's no way Boyle should play upfront far too small and lightweight.

Classic thinking there, regarding Boyle's height and/or physicality. 

Goodwillie i'd say is FAR from direct, ergo neither is our regular playing style. Why we should move from that, for any reason, would be simply insane, when we have what we do. It's completely against both our tactics and the development of our players to do so. 

Syvertsen's best work has been on the ball, not in the air. We must have wasted a dozen high balls at Edinburgh using what i'd call The Duncan Ferguson theory, that a tall man is automatically going to be good in the air so must have the thing shelled at him, despite an obviously more suited skill set available. 

Added to this, a large part of our possession based game involves drawing defenders out. Boyle and Love can do this. I'd arguably even consider Lamont moving further up, alongside them and playing as part of a rotating trio as an alternative, with a flat middle three (picks itself) to compensate. Going for a 'target man' solution, using a player who is nothing of the sort, will have us on the back foot from losing possession from such a strategy. I say we should press even harder in DGs absence, not less. 

Edited by Officer Barbrady

I think we might be getting way too much ahead of ourselves here, we don't know how serious the injury is - it may be just a hairline fracture and with the proper caste may not mean any time out at all - we just have to wait to hear what the proper diagnosis is and what advice the club and DGW has received. Just hope the club keeps us properly informed.

1 hour ago, chas said:

it may be just a hairline fracture

At a guess, if he was able to play the second half it suggests that.  Usually anywhere up to 6 weeks, but until there's another announcement we can't know for sure.

Think the term target man's been misunderstood.  That doesn't mean reverting to launching it long, we don't play that way.  It can be someone with the savvy and strength to hold the ball and bring others into play, largely what DGW's been doing.  Love, Boyle etc have benefited from playing off a lead striker.  If Kriss can fill that role, ideal, but if not, they'll likely need to try & bring someone in.  I don't see how bringing in someone who could fill that specific role would cause disruption to the team spirit, don't follow that theory.

Peterhead & Edinburgh remain pretty consistent so we have to maintain a must win attitude for every game.  But both these teams have to play each other twice, we've still got two shots at Edinburgh and one at Peterhead.  If the Elgin game is re-arranged into March that would mean 7 of our remaining 11 matches would be at home.  So as long as we remain in the hunt by early March, by which time the hope would be DGW's back, certainly in with a shout.   Whether someone new is brought in to replace DGW or not, January & February will probably define whether we're title contenders or it's playoffs.

Every player who has come in due to injury has done a job so far this season and more and more our subs are having a positive impact. This could be the opportunity for someone to step up. That said (injury to DGW or not) I would like another striker brought in.

From what I’ve seen of Syvertsen, I don’t think he’s been overly effective out wide, however hasn’t done much wrong either. 

I’d give him a few games through the middle to see what he’s like, he’s definitely got the skill to hold it in and bring others into play, even take a run at defenders and beat them.