The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

14 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Out of interest, I’ve never heard about the massive bank loan before. When was this taken out and any idea how much it was? 

I am mildly surprised any bank would see us as a good bet for repaying a loan given the history of the past 15 years. Assuming they did I am mildly concerned that failure to get promoted will leave us in debt again.

The statement should have started by saying the aim is to be a competitive Championship side with higher ambitions on a sustainable basis, and here's what it's going to take....

He inherited an absolute shambles of a club driven into the dirt for years, so is describing a longer term rebuild across the board.

Identifying Cumbernauld and the surrounding area as key, he's nailed the colours to the mast committing our future there.  Tied to this is the improved relationship with NLC & NLL which was always going to be the case.   The rugby money has underwritten NLL's concerns, organisations are just people who come and go, new people have no baggage with each other.  It's reversed the original argument as to why we had to leave on the basis we couldn't make any money out the stadium.  But it's still just a starting point.

The only realistic way of building the fanbase is from the local area, similarly in terms of additional revenue streams from local businesses, so he has to put the club at the heart of the community.  A big task, especially when previously the club were very vocal in appearing desperate to leave while taking shots at the very people they're now trying to engage with,  so he'll need to put clear blue water between the club now and the previous regime.

There's then the club itself.  On the footballing side a full time manager to oversee all aspects of the operation, and again based on the idea of sustainability, an appropriate youth policy so the manager can bring through the style of player he wants.

As for the structure, does the existing CiC model best fit the purpose, or should it be customized, or replaced entirely?  At least he recognises the need to have the existing fanbase on board, so puts proposals out there to gauge reaction.

Initiatives like Club 200 in themselves don't represent a business model, going back to the same well year after year, but at least if there's progression elsewhere  it gives people something to buy into, even if a short term stop gap.    

There's also an inference that 1 or 2 people may be brought in to help shoulder some of his responsibilities as areas of his own business have been neglected.  Linked to that, while there's an appreciation for volunteers, expertise is probably needed moving forward.

In the main I agree with what he's outlining, but talk's talk and credibility is based on actions.  Due to the past couple of decades, understandably we've a sceptical fanbase, so each year he'll need to progress what he's describing to convince people.  But it's a much needed 360 turnaround in mentality from where we were 3 or 4 years ago.  

The statement should have started by saying the aim is to be a competitive Championship side with higher ambitions on a sustainable basis, and here's what it's going to take....

He inherited an absolute shambles of a club driven into the dirt for years, so is describing a longer term rebuild across the board.

Identifying Cumbernauld and the surrounding area as key, he's nailed the colours to the mast committing our future there.  Tied to this is the improved relationship with NLC & NLL which was always going to be the case.   The rugby money has underwritten NLL's concerns, organisations are just people who come and go, new people have no baggage with each other.  It's reversed the original argument as to why we had to leave on the basis we couldn't make any money out the stadium.  But it's still just a starting point.

The only realistic way of building the fanbase is from the local area, similarly in terms of additional revenue streams from local businesses, so he has to put the club at the heart of the community.  A big task, especially when previously the club were very vocal in appearing desperate to leave while taking shots at the very people they're now trying to engage with,  so he'll need to put clear blue water between the club now and the previous regime.

There's then the club itself.  On the footballing side a full time manager to oversee all aspects of the operation, and again based on the idea of sustainability, an appropriate youth policy so the manager can bring through the style of player he wants.

As for the structure, does the existing CiC model best fit the purpose, or should it be customized, or replaced entirely?  At least he recognises the need to have the existing fanbase on board, so puts proposals out there to gauge reaction.

Initiatives like Club 200 in themselves don't represent a business model, going back to the same well year after year, but at least if there's progression elsewhere  it gives people something to buy into, even if a short term stop gap.    

There's also an inference that 1 or 2 people may be brought in to help shoulder some of his responsibilities as areas of his own business have been neglected.  Linked to that, while there's an appreciation for volunteers, expertise is probably needed moving forward.

In the main I agree with what he's outlining, but talk's talk and credibility is based on actions.  Due to the past couple of decades, understandably we've a sceptical fanbase, so each year he'll need to progress what he's describing to convince people.  But it's a much needed 360 turnaround in mentality from where we were 3 or 4 years ago.  

Spot on [emoji122]

Can only add there has been clear improvements since innes took the reigns as chairman for years people harked on about

A place at the stadium to have pre match drink or tea refreshments etc =Arria going by reports it's busy before games plus it host all our club functions meaning any profit straight into our coffers. Looking around the support ( and my two grown up sons ) the merchandise is selling well again complaints for years over over strips that bore no resemblance to a Clyde strip and of very poor quality Finally and more important for me the existing fan base has bought into it 200 club The Glasgow branch sponsoring games / match ball players strips and the whole Santa theme players over at the end was fan engagement at its best I agree this isn't a business model but it's very important as to where the club is just now. It's clear from the message innes sees this as just the start and that he simply can't do it all himself which it looks like the case so far.

On pitch things have clearly improved although wasn't a good summer in terms of signings for the manager but we are still up near the top ( I will give him another couple of month [emoji6])

30 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

What he said......

1 hour ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

I am mildly surprised any bank would see us as a good bet for repaying a loan given the history of the past 15 years. Assuming they did I am mildly concerned that failure to get promoted will leave us in debt again.

Two concerns:

1. Taking out a bank loan to fund the playing squad isn't something we should be taking lightly,  especially on the back of a £60k loss. It does seem like we have gambled heavily on promotion and takes some gloss off what we have been told is increased revenue streams allowing us to challenge at the right end of the league.

2. In the news article of July 31st it was mentioned that Norrie Innes's company had been granted planning permission for a cafe and restaurant at Broadwood. I am uncomfortable about a serving Director benefiting financially from the club remaining at Broadwood which would undoubtedly be the case if this was to go ahead. I seriously hope he rethinks this. The proposed plans are on NLCs website. ETA: I don't think there is anything underhand going on here but I think it's unwise and creates the conditions for judgements to be clouded by other factors than what is the right decision for the club. He has my backing in what he is trying to do but this project is a mistake in my opinion.

Edited by Fat Sally

On the subject of the loan; it was raised and discussed at length the recent AGM. I am not a financial person in any way shape or form but my understanding from the discussion was that the loan was non secured and in fact a couple of contributors from the floor, who seemed to have a financial or business background were actually congratulating the board for being able to acquire such a loan from the bank. It appears that such loans with the terms agreed are not easy to acquire nowadays and was seen as a good business decision.

David D.. as ever, seems to have all the finances planned and in control. He is someone who I trust given his previous great work for the board / club.

33 minutes ago, Fat Sally said:

Two concerns:

1. Taking out a bank loan to fund the playing squad isn't something we should be taking lightly,  especially on the back of a £60k loss. It does seem like we have gambled heavily on promotion and takes some gloss off what we have been told is increased revenue streams allowing us to challenge at the right end of the league.

I don't know about the bank loan, but the bit I don't understand is there's an inference it's specifically to get us out this league in order that we get "moneyspinning" fixtures against the likes of Stranraer, Brechin, Forfar, Montrose, Dumbarton etc etc next year??

Or is it offset by money received for getting promoted ?  I don't follow the logic in why there appears to be such financial importance placed on getting into League 1, though obviously it's preferred as part of  progression upwards. 

Can anyone suggest the additional financial benefits - I genuinely don't know ?

10 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

I don't know about the bank loan, but the bit I don't understand is there's an inference it's specifically to get us out this league in order that we get "moneyspinning" fixtures against the likes of Stranraer, Brechin, Forfar, Montrose, Dumbarton etc etc next year??

Or is it offset by money received for getting promoted ?  I don't follow the logic in why there appears to be such financial importance placed on getting into League 1, though obviously it's preferred as part of  progression upwards. 

Can anyone suggest the additional financial benefits - I genuinely don't know ?

The figures mentioned, along with what are clearly longer-term plans, i'd think are NOT centred on facing the glamour opposition you describe, but obtaining those fixtures being a means of the club setting about attaining where Norrie stated where he wishes the club to be, at the AGM, and that is in the second tier. Making us competitive for when we land in L1 is obviously something which is imperative in these projections. It's not quite in Alex Smith's 'five year plan' category, but arranging financial commitments within a reasonable timeframe isn't overly concerning, in my opinion, as Freddy Frye has already outlined. If we were to fail like we did under Smith in this, of course that would be different but it wouldn't change the fact that if the Chairman sees these opportunities, despite how it was run into the ground, and in a short timeframe has turned several outlets around, it's a perfectly reasonable avenue to go down. 

I'm not even sure if there is any actual money in the Championship, either, with the exception of increased travelling supports, but even at that, they're not as great as they used to be. Certainly nothing to base a business model on. Even so, if we were to get there, and stay competitive, having followed these projections and grown the club to such a position it is attractive for fans,  players, sponsors and restores our reputation, and does so carrying fully manageabe debt utilities, the success in getting there would still be clouded by people's paranoid bullshit, by still listening to, and endorsing, the "previous incumbents" agendas, even with the evidence staring them in the face. 

1 hour ago, Officer Barbrady said:

The figures mentioned, along with what are clearly longer-term plans, i'd think are NOT centred on facing the glamour opposition you describe, but obtaining those fixtures being a means of the club setting about attaining where Norrie stated where he wishes the club to be, at the AGM, and that is in the second tier. Making us competitive for when we land in L1 is obviously something which is imperative in these projections. It's not quite in Alex Smith's 'five year plan' category, but arranging financial commitments within a reasonable timeframe isn't overly concerning, in my opinion, as Freddy Frye has already outlined. If we were to fail like we did under Smith in this, of course that would be different but it wouldn't change the fact that if the Chairman sees these opportunities, despite how it was run into the ground, and in a short timeframe has turned several outlets around, it's a perfectly reasonable avenue to go down. 

I'm not even sure if there is any actual money in the Championship, either, with the exception of increased travelling supports, but even at that, they're not as great as they used to be. Certainly nothing to base a business model on. Even so, if we were to get there, and stay competitive, having followed these projections and grown the club to such a position it is attractive for fans,  players, sponsors and restores our reputation, and does so carrying fully manageabe debt utilities, the success in getting there would still be clouded by people's paranoid bullshit, by still listening to, and endorsing, the "previous incumbents" agendas, even with the evidence staring them in the face. 

I understand what you're saying, so it puts to bed the idea that we absolutely must get promoted this season for specifically financial benefits next season.

Also agree with what you're saying about a financial model based on larger travelling support.  It obviously helps, but you have to take care of your own business which again relates back to building in and sourcing that from the local community.  Clearly that's helped with a better standard, but can also be done if the longer term aims are presented.  Another reason that if / when we reach the second tier, far better the infrastructure is strengthened beforehand to make that sustainable as opposed to being a one season wonder.   The bottom league's a hard sell and while the one above isn't much better, it's one step away from a credible level.

His theory's sound enough but clearly a lot of work to do given what was inherited.  If the theory is turned into action at a steady rate year on year, it's far likelier to deliver a much stronger position in the medium to longer term.  People won't be slow to recognise a club that's finally getting its act together.  

27 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

I understand what you're saying, so it puts to bed the idea that we absolutely must get promoted this season for specifically financial benefits next season.

Also agree with what you're saying about a financial model based on larger travelling support.  It obviously helps, but you have to take care of your own business which again relates back to building in and sourcing that from the local community.  Clearly that's helped with a better standard, but can also be done if the longer term aims are presented.  Another reason that if / when we reach the second tier, far better the infrastructure is strengthened beforehand to make that sustainable as opposed to being a one season wonder.   The bottom league's a hard sell and while the one above isn't much better, it's one step away from a credible level.

His theory's sound enough but clearly a lot of work to do given what was inherited.  If the theory is turned into action at a steady rate year on year, it's far likelier to deliver a much stronger position in the medium to longer term.  People won't be slow to recognise a club that's finally getting its act together.  

This, this, exactly this Brigton. 

On footballing matters, we certainly look ready and able to make the first step up this year. Even if we were to wait a year for that, we appear a more attractive option than before, but in getting to L1, i believe we'd be in a stronger position to exert our rightful authority on the coastal/Angus clubs by being able to recruit better quality - and that's where the infrastructure pays dividends. 

It's no secret that getting to this point has taken a significant effort, as he outlines several times. But that's a basic, 101 for all clubs. Dundee Utd, Thistle, Falkirk and Raith took the eye off the ball for maybe no more than a couple of months or two or three bad decisions, and look at the complete mess they're all in. Hibs too not that long ago, and even Killie for a while until Johnson buggered off (spot the common link there!). The fact that everything, absolutely everything has always been a struggle for us, could be a major bonus in remaining focused to delivering what Norrie sees as a realistic outcome. 

Edited by Officer Barbrady

I am not sure I can be bothered with a long and rambling debate on this as frankly I doubt anyone outside the Board has the full and complete answer, so one extended question on it just in case there is sufficient public awareness.

Good, if surprising news , that the club was able to get a bank to provide an unsecured loan.

Question - what is the loan income being used for, and if we do not get promotion within 18 months will we be able to repay it? 

If the answer to the second part is yes, then will it likely be at  the expense of the more expensive type of player we see with the qualities of Rankin and Goodwillie for example?

3 hours ago, You Only Live Twice said:

So let me get this straight;

We beat Peterhead away

Edinburgh shat it at home to Stirling

Queen’s drew with Lolbion at Hampden

My oh my, whit an afternoon! emoji23.png

You forgot the Mankynecks chucking it at Tannadice. That particular day of reckoning draws ever nearer. 

We might even get Falkirk as well for a wee bonus. We're going to need a bigger mantlepiece to fit them all on when this is all over.