The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

4 hours ago, Carl Jung said:

My oh my. It appears that after the last two disastrous outcomes with managers- wherein concerned supporters questioned the situations at reasonable stages in our collapses, to be reprimanded and in many cases, publicly lynched- a sizable number have learned absolutely nothing. 

Those defending Currie, are generally among the same group  supporting Ray Grant's secondment and yet lambasting Tom Lang, despite him undergoing the same shift from his natural position as the former. This seems rather strange given how merely asking a question of one thing, leads to a circling of the wagons for daring to criticise the manager's selections- and none of those for Currie are suggesting he's particularly great, just that he's the managers choice (by default as KH has been injured for a significant spell)- same as RG and indeed TL when coming in at right-back. Therefore, we must find reasons to suggest he's not at fault for any of our recent poor results. 

I don't know if 'toadying', or wishing not to cause offence is the main thing preventing open and honest discussion about Currie in particular (as i don't believe that many people actually rate him at all-), but given where sticking heads in the sand has gotten us in the previous full year before Lennon arrived,  i'd expect people to have their priorities concerning the club straight- that being its welfare on the pitch. 

Sao Paulo...?

Yes. It is clearly far more constructive to address known repeat issues with the collective group responsible for them than try to find issues where they don’t exist, or nitpick sporadic ones with an individual who is performing sufficiently well.

In terms of reviewing and addressing player reliability, Currie would be pretty far down my roster at present. I make it that in the 20 games he has featured this season he has conceded 21 goals and kept 5 clean sheets (I’m sure you’ll correct me if I’m wrong). Hardly a major cause for concern, and as has been stated already you won’t do much better at our level with our budget. Buffon he is not, yet he is far from blunder prone as we have been subjected to in the not so distant past. Like every player, he occasionally makes mistakes (against Elgin for sure) but given his position and the likelihood of conceding from them, there is far more of a critical analysis of them.

Put it this way, goalkeeping is the area of our game which should be causing least concern to Danny Lennon right now, and to suggest otherwise simply detracts from the real problems.

As for the player berating, I’m not quite sure where you sit if you don’t hear it frankly. Make no mistake, nobody is immune from warranted criticism, but frustrations run high all too often watching our performances on the park and with the underlying expectation of success, and as a result some people are far too eager and over the top in dishing it out. Speaking from a personal perspective, if I was having a bad day at the office and was fully aware of it then someone spewing abuse at me wouldn’t exactly motivate me into performing any better. Perhaps that’s just me though.
As I said Currie isn't the worst and goalkeeping isn't really the top priority, I still think he was at fault for the goal I have no real gripe which goalkeeper play but wouldn't bring Hughes in at the moment as I'm sure some woukd jump all over his performance good or bad
The problem we do have is some of the signings made that either don't start games or don't even make the squad last Saturday we had 6 of this season's signings ( resignings ) on the bench add (Boyle might be injured ) that woukd be 7
Tells me the recruitment in the summer/ early season hasn't worked out and that is a fairly reasonable slice of the budget being taken up add the two forwards that left it's almost an entire team I personally think we have too big a squad at the moment it's really been quantity over quality in some areas hopefully we find our best 11 soon and go on a run of victories

35 minutes ago, haufdaft said:
2 hours ago, maxruby said:
Which Montrose GK? Two played against us last season.

The one with the long hair.

He featured in the 3-0 thumping in March, i recall. 

All things being equal, Montrose clearly had  effectual quality in other areas to compensate for what you saw as a weak link- are we really going to assume they managed this by accident, and ignoring their deficiency? 

Montrose were of course involved in the first ever survival playoff three years prior to their league success- they have clearly learned not to bugger around with these things, and acted accordingly, and more than sufficiently to raise their level to a whole new (and more importantly higher) division. 

If our ambitions are, as they appear, along those lines- it's these small matters which need most attention. Disrepecting the league by assuming we'll manage along fine with inferior operatives is one of many reasons we remain anchored in it- and the wasted half a decade not even bothering to compete has bred a deeply negative attitude towards facing up to these realities. 

6 hours ago, cfcuk said:

As I said Currie isn't the worst and goalkeeping isn't really the top priority, I still think he was at fault for the goal I have no real gripe which goalkeeper play but wouldn't bring Hughes in at the moment as I'm sure some woukd jump all over his performance good or bad
The problem we do have is some of the signings made that either don't start games or don't even make the squad last Saturday we had 6 of this season's signings ( resignings ) on the bench add (Boyle might be injured ) that woukd be 7
Tells me the recruitment in the summer/ early season hasn't worked out and that is a fairly reasonable slice of the budget being taken up add the two forwards that left it's almost an entire team I personally think we have too big a squad at the moment it's really been quantity over quality in some areas hopefully we find our best 11 soon and go on a run of victories

I'd argue Clyde have regressed since the win versus Edinburgh on the 21/04. Added 3 forwards, Rankin kept Cogill and Boyle and let's not forget extended Goodwillie's contract who was easily the best player in the league last season. Big big game tomorrow

Edited by TheBigGuy

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Correct. 

Word of warning, if you're going to try to rejoin the site as a previously-banned alias, at least make the effort to use a different email address. 

What’s this person done? I’ve enjoyed his recent posts- well thought out and expressed.

I once commented that Clyde fans seemed somewhat capricious.  Reading some more recent posts would suggest they can also be a tad vicious and vindictive towards fellow supporters.
Not good for forming a united front.
Think you are being somewhat generous in your assessment [emoji23]

7 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Previously banned for offensive posts, under a different username.

Was it personal towards you? Why else would you be so keen to have them banned again? To repeat myself- I think the recent posts have been really insightful and enjoyable to read- maybe the ban has served to produce a bettter poster- is everyone not due a second chance?

14 minutes ago, HughieMc said:

Was it personal towards you? Why else would you be so keen to have them banned again? To repeat myself- I think the recent posts have been really insightful and enjoyable to read- maybe the ban has served to produce a bettter poster- is everyone not due a second chance?

No. I don't recall ever having any dealings with him. When someone pointed out that he might be banned I checked him out. You do have to behave fairly atrociously to get banned from here.

He had already had a second chance, and more. 

I've no doubt plenty of previously-banned posters continue to post on here. But if you make it obvious, you'll stay banned. 

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

No. I don't recall ever having any dealings with him. When someone pointed out that he might be banned I checked him out. You do have to behave fairly atrociously to get banned from here.
He had already had a second chance, and more. 
I've no doubt plenty of previously-banned posters continue to post on here. But if you make it obvious, you'll stay banned. 
Good to know you are the moral compass for the Clyde support keep up the good work sure you will receive a big pat on the back from the broadwood stasi next time your up for game [emoji106]