The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

I'm not sure Ferns was bad as some people made out. Not a starter but I still think he offered something different off the bench.

That leaves us with only one striker and one winger, and given that Love has been playing through the middle we essentially have no other natural wide players now. Hopefully we have a couple of good signings still to come.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

I'm not sure Ferns was bad as some people made out. Not a starter but I still think he offered something different off the bench.
That leaves us with only one striker and one winger, and given that Love has been playing through the middle we essentially have no other natural wide players now. Hopefully we have a couple of good signings still to come.
It's very hard to judge him as I only saw him as a sub. The guy has two championship medals and a play off winners medal from this league which is quite impressive, only caveat to that is why he keeps returning to div 2 and hasn't progressed, well that's him away so time to get in a striker asap

12 minutes ago, cfcuk said:
23 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

It's very hard to judge him as I only saw him as a sub. The guy has two championship medals and a play off winners medal from this league which is quite impressive, only caveat to that is why he keeps returning to div 2 and hasn't progressed, well that's him away so time to get in a striker asap

It's staggeringly impressive given that he's only started 70 games in his career and he's 27! 

I can't recall Ferns running with the ball for 10 yards without standing on it or losing control.

I'm no expert but I sense that may be a problem for a winger.

At least Phil Johnston managed to run with the ball far enough to run it out of play.

13 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

But that's kind of the point JS, Love shouldn't be but is filling in there.  His natural position is wider, and we've also guys like Lamont and McStay playing out there. 

Our system is one up, with a new striker possibly the option of two. Neither usually includes traditional 'wingers' especially with fullbacks pushing on. We've plenty options out wide, the priority is at least one recognised striker

I'd also like a centre half with higher level experience to help organise and also bring on the younger lads, but with our budget that would probably be unrealistic

2 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

But that's kind of the point JS, Love shouldn't be but is filling in there.  His natural position is wider, and we've also guys like Lamont and McStay playing out there. 

Our system is one up, with a new striker possibly the option of two. Neither usually includes traditional 'wingers' especially with fullbacks pushing on. We've plenty options out wide, the priority is at least one recognised striker

I'd also like a centre half with higher level experience to help organise and also bring on the younger lads, but with our budget that would probably be unrealistic

Put your hand the your pocket then

28 minutes ago, BrigtonClyde said:

Obviously another striker is the priority but I would like some more wide options and Ferns leaving is a loss in that regard.

Going an entire season with one winger in the squad is hardly ideal. There will be plenty of games when we need to stretch teams out wide but don't have the players to do it. There's a reason we don't do particularly well against sides like Edinburgh who are good at defending narrowly and preventing our players finding space in middle of the pitch. Even when Love plays on the left he spends half his time cutting inside.

Lamont, McStay and Boyle can cover wide areas but will always look inside first, and they would have more space  when playing through the middle if we had natural wingers to stretch the opposition at times.

Stewart is our only leftback capable of getting forward and Cuddihy the only player on the right so any games they miss leave us extremely short-handed.

ETA: Obviously I'm not really expecting the budget left for that either, just what I would have liked to see.

Edited by Jaggy Snake