The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

The prize money for the Betfred Cup is just as lucrative as the Scottish cup. Indeed, losing the shootout to Edinburgh cost us at least £2000.
So the crowds for a league cup tie match the Scottish cup ?
And the prize money is identical ?
A good Scottish cup run dwarfs the league cup.

Ive said many times I won't go near this competition while the U21's etc are in it. However I have to admit I was embarrassed when I seen the score. If we had a youth team in then ok but that was our 1st team squad!

Not going to go overboard about it as our starting 11 is nowhere near that, still I hope some of these guys tonight have a right good look at themselves as equally Lennon and Moore do. I realise move squad movement is not really possible at this stage but as I say not good enough sorry.

Just now, cfcuk said:

So the crowds for a league cup tie match the Scottish cup ?
And the prize money is identical ?
A good Scottish cup run dwarfs the league cup.

The prize money is very similar (more guaranteed money in Betfred) and you are almost guaranteed the share of a gate with a Premier league side in the Betfred (Our two biggest home gates since playing Rangers have been in that competition).  

Well yes, as we actually had a cup run. 

In that season, we made 30k in prize money for getting three wins in the Scottish cup.

If we had won three League cup ties (not impossible given matches v Berwick/Albion and a Killie game we should have won with Linton's missed penalty) and qualified from the group section then we would have got 30k in prize money. And given the seeding, a far greater likelihood of a more money spinning tie than a trip to Ayr.

The only difference will have been the couple of replays that brought in a wee bit extra (625 and 987 people split gates). And we'd be daft to be relying on replays.

We will have made approx 30k from the Bet Fred Cup this season. 17k for finishing 4th and 12.5k for the televised game. The money from the Bet Fred Cup is more than we will make from the Scottish Cup most seasons now unless we win through 3 rounds in the Scottish or get lucky with a decent draw.

Not bothered about going out the Challenge Cup tonight as the Colts sides have ended any euthasism I have for it. The result was pretty embrassing though considering this was players from our first team squad.

2 hours ago, haufdaft said:

When did Clyde become so big that two of the three national cup tournaments are beneath us?

We haven't got too big, it's the cup competitions that have changed.

There are good elements of the new League Cup format. Notably the financial boost, competitive games in generally decent weather and the high probability of playing a Premiership team. However, with only Group Winners and half of the runners-up progressing, the chances of a bottom-tier getting through are very small. Realistically, we were virtually out of it after the first game.

As for the Challenge Cup, I feel, as do many, that the addition of the Colts has irredeemably fucked it.

It's hard to get too worked up about one competition that we have next to no chance of succeeding in and another that has been royally shafted by its own organisers.

If, and it's a big "if", we can get promoted and maybe more, our chances of putting a decent run together in one or both will increase. Until then we will focus on the league and hope for some decent draws in the Scottish Cup like just about every other team in our division.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Obviously a poor result, however not bothered about going out as we have to focus on the league.

Bloomfield was able to hold the ball up, bring others into play for accies. Compared to our anonymous striker. Millar isn’t good enough and never will be. 

7 hours ago, cfcuk said:

Team wins first two league games don't concede a goal .Team loses challenge cup game and the manager and his assistant have to take a good look at themselves. emoji23.png

Sorry poor English from me; I meant the Management team have a good look at the players who came in last night. 

From looking at my post again it does look like I was having a go at the manager and assistant, of course that is far from the case.

6 hours ago, SLClyde said:

Obviously a poor result, however not bothered about going out as we have to focus on the league.

Bloomfield was able to hold the ball up, bring others into play for accies. Compared to our anonymous striker. Millar isn’t good enough and never will be. 

Was the biggest lesson last night. A striker who played others in & one who wore a kit and breathed in & out for 70 mins. 

29 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

Bloomfield is on loan from Norwich. Makes a bit of a mockery of the idea of giving the premiership youngstars a game against league opposition.

Apart from him and Phillips the rest were youngsters. And some very impressive ones at that. Standouts were Stanger the CB and Young McCann the LB who I believe is only 17. Clyde simply couldn't cope with Accies pace and movement. Only player who kinda stood out for you guys in flashes was the pacy winger, no. 7 I think?