The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

Not on the back of the last two scores from a cup that had saw Annan beat Hamilton,Montrose win at Falkirk and Spartans nearly beating StMiren in 90 though Been saying till im blue in the face we need to get someone in to help and most importantly play alongside Goodwillie..

One up front at this level doesnt work for several reasons(Fitness and ability to name just two) & Seems tonight again not any different to last season and last sat with texts i was receiving or reading updates on twitter with one example of ferns crossing to no takers which he will do all game with the pace he has to burn..

Hopkirk maybe could and should have been the answer,Quicker he returns or leaves the better and get a replacement in

Finally Suppose this format and early starts lets Danny see team in a competitive action & what needs fixed before league campaign starts, Just hoping his audio from sat night refers to the scoring goals dept cause god forbid if we lose DGW to cash or injury

Not on the back of the last two scores from a cup that had saw Annan beat Hamilton,Montrose win at Falkirk and Spartans nearly beating StMiren in 90 though Been saying till im blue in the face we need to get someone in to help and most importantly play alongside Goodwillie...

One up front at this level doesnt work for several reasons(Fitness and ability to name just two) & Seems tonight again not any different to last season and last sat with texts i was receiving or reading updates on twitter with one example of ferns crossing to no takers which he will do all game with the pace he has to burn..

Hopkirk maybe could and should have been the answer,Quicker he returns or leaves the better and get a replacement in

When was the last time we actually had a shut out we would need 3 tonight to get a draw , think the defence is a problem
We do need another striker , but we have to stop conceeding still don't understand why so many defenders were retained

Tonight showed again that we need help for Goodwillie. We are too one dimensional.
I thought tonight was poor. Only Currie impressed.

Goodwillie showed for the through ball many times for it to come late or not at all. McStay needs to be aware of these runs quicker.
I do realise that it was against a team two leagues above but the chances to slip Goodwillie in were there to be taken and weren't.

Add this to dreadful crossing from players under no pressure, it was a poor performance.

Struggling to take many positives from that other than it’s early in the season and Queens are a strong side with a couple of very good players (much better than we will face week in week out).

However, Duffie and fearns were absolutely dreadful. And when Rumsby came on he spent the last 15 minutes charging out of position and selling himself with big lunging block tackles.

Currie was outstanding, Nicol and Cuddihy played well. Stewart was ok. Goodie was pretty anonymous. The rest ranged from meh to honking.

I don't think there was a lot to take from tonight's game but there's not too much to criticise either.

As has been said, you could see from the teamsheet Lennon is looking to give all the players some game time and try a few things out.

Currie was fantastic and Cuddihy did a good job battling away in midfield. Nicoll had a good game and I thought McStay looked decent too, as particularly in the first half he showed how easily he can find space.

Ferns and Love are very much League 2 players and were unlikely to get much out of a Championship side. In saying that, Love should have scored from a great cross from Ferns early on.

I thought that was one of Duffie's better games which maybe says enough in itself.

I'm still assuming we'll revert back to McNiff and Cogill at centreback once the league starts, and hopefully tighten up at the back.

I don't think there was a lot to take from tonight's game but there's not too much to criticise either.
As has been said, you could see from the teamsheet Lennon is looking to give all the players some game time and try a few things out.
Currie was fantastic and Cuddihy did a good job battling away in midfield. Nicoll had a good game and I thought McStay looked decent too, as particularly in the first half he showed how easily he can find space.
Ferns and Love are very much League 2 players and were unlikely to get much out of a Championship side. In saying that, Love should have scored from a great cross from Ferns early on.
I thought that was one of Duffie's better games which maybe says enough in itself.
I'm still assuming we'll revert back to McNiff and Cogill at centreback once the league starts, and hopefully tighten up at the back.
Quite clear we are using these games to give players game time .that said you would expect queen of the South to beat us most times at present Good solid championship team with an excellent striker. Listened to Danny Lennon post match doesn't seem too bothered at losing laughing at the end of the of the interview .
Let's hope we have a settled line up for the start of the league campaign.

I've felt that there is a strong over reliance on Goodie to produce throughout the team for a while. Far too often when they are playing badly or struggling in midfield we resort to punting long balls to Goodie in the hopes he can do something. Its to his credit that he has been able to do so but its clear that if the opposition manage to cut his options we become toothless. the problem is there doesn't ever seem to be a plan B which we can fall back on to change our style of play and give ourselves more options.  I still feel we can have a good season but the danger signs are there and if something happens to Goodie we're pretty much screwed.

12 hours ago, SLClyde said:

We kept plenty of clean sheets after January so I wouldn’t worry about that too much. 

True. but there were times that was more down to poor finishing than great defending.  We still look likely to give away goals cheaply, not always the most organised and it's an area they'll need to address, whether with existing players or an experienced head brought in.  Again they look better in that position than previously, but it's still not quite right, even for League 2 level.

Up at the other end, there must be something going on with Hopkirk because he's given every other player a run out except him.  I've no idea the background to it all, but if there was some serious problem that looked likely remaining one, it needs dealt with now.  

The LC is pretty much formal pre season friendlies, but maybe need to be a bit careful they don't take a dent to confidence and fall into a losing mentality at the end of it. I'd have expected a little bit better from both games so far, but still a long way from panic stations just yet.

5 hours ago, BrigtonClyde said:

True. but there were times that was more down to poor finishing than great defending.  We still look likely to give away goals cheaply, not always the most organised and it's an area they'll need to address, whether with existing players or an experienced head brought in.  Again they look better in that position than previously, but it's still not quite right, even for League 2 level.

Up at the other end, there must be something going on with Hopkirk because he's given every other player a run out except him.  I've no idea the background to it all, but if there was some serious problem that looked likely remaining one, it needs dealt with now.  

The LC is pretty much formal pre season friendlies, but maybe need to be a bit careful they don't take a dent to confidence and fall into a losing mentality at the end of it. I'd have expected a little bit better from both games so far, but still a long way from panic stations just yet.

I feel as if if there was some sort of situation as has been speculated r.e. Hopkirk, there would have been some sort of action taken, or at least murmurings been spread from a credible source. In the absence of either, I can only assume that he is probably injured.

Spot on [emoji122]

To be fair thought it was a much better performance than Edinburgh game, Not curries biggest fan but he had a great game made 2/3 proper saves, Goodwillie isolated to f**k, I know it’s early days but I don’t think we should be gettin our hopes up for a title party :lol: some signings this season for me have been very strange

Bearing in mind killie we were 2-1 up until an hour or so. Still decent to finish 3rd in the group given there was 3 higher division teams in it. 

As long as we are ready for August 4th, cowdenbeath will be a hard game.