The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

I appreciate it’s pre-season but Hamilton have looked an absolute shambles. Wee Dougie looks miles past it now. We’ve played quite well so far. Hamilton are fielding a second XI in the second half which sounds like it is mostly young boys.

7 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

I appreciate it’s pre-season but Hamilton have looked an absolute shambles. Wee Dougie looks miles past it now. We’ve played quite well so far. Hamilton are fielding a second XI in the second half which sounds like it is mostly young boys.

Is George Stanger playing for accies ? 

We look right on it. Even fitter and stronger than last season. Much better options with Love almost like another new signing. The pressing and countering in the first half was like something from MOTD.

How have we set up the last few weeks? Haven't managed to make it to either game. Was fearful that Love would be marginalised a wee bit given the abundance of central midfielders we've got, but glad he's figured quite prominently in the two friendlies. How did Rankin and Hughes look?

5 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

How have we set up the last few weeks? Haven't managed to make it to either game. Was fearful that Love would be marginalised a wee bit given the abundance of central midfielders we've got, but glad he's figured quite prominently in the two friendlies. How did Rankin and Hughes look?

Cuddihy started at right back today for some reason. Rankin made some good blocks/tackles and did well defensively. Hughes looks like a decent shot stopper from that game, but flapped at the ball from crosses

We lined up with Cuddihy at right back, rest of back four self explanatory. Rankin and Grant in front of the back four, but not at the same time. Lamont off Goodwillie with McStay and Love either side, but plenty of movement between them. 

First goal came after 5 dominant minutes, a cross from the right wing towards Love whose effort was well saved, before Goodwillie tapped in the rebound. Similar chance at the other end with a shot pushed out by Currie but Rankin made a superb block from the rebound. The second Clyde goal was a cracker; superbly flighted diagonal ball from Stewart from deep and a great touch and footwork from Goodwillie to finish. The whole of the first half we played like it was a cup tie, whilst Hamilton were out for a stroll. We won the ball high up the pitch, kept possession well and more than deserved our lead.

The second half Hamilton changed almost their entire side and unsurprisingly the part-time team struggled to play with the same intensity. I can't remember Currie having a save to make though, with our defence well organised and playing high enough up the pitch to keep them at arms length. Hamilton must have sent 20 or 30 crosses in the box but nearly all were over-hit. We were noticeably tired late on and Hamilton hit the bar, had an effort that was well saved by Hughes and had a few other close things. DIdn't ever think we wouldn't win though.

Positive individual performances were McNiff who was outstanding, Lamont before going off injured with a sore knee pre-halftime. Love as a sort of inside-forward gives a bigger goal threat. Goodwillie best striker on the pitch. Grant/Rankin tandem has a bit of promise. Cuddihy natural footballer, can play anywhere. 

Negatives would be Gorman's distribution again (decent defender though) and Eddie Ferns, who lost possession when he had it and didn't track McMann at all the other way. Unlike other seasons though, neither will be playing if they don't improve.

I thought Rankin was neat and tidy and did a lot of talking. When we sat back after the break he was pulling people into position to keep the shape. Two outstanding blocks as well. I think he'll make Grant an even better player.

Cup games are going to be great but I absolutely can't wait for the league season. Lots of wins and good football ahead.

Ditto what David wrote.

We were excellent: fit, superbly organised, skilful in possession, unyielding in defence. You can't usually say that a friendly had an intensity about it but we brought that. And to that extent, it wasn't a match played like a friendly. Hamilton won't have counted on us treating the game the way we did and were obviously a bit wrong-footed by it all in the first-half. Having said that, I'd still be a little worried if I were an Accies supporter. Quite a guileless lot that showed up to today. Reminded me of Kilmarnock in the game they narrowly won at Broadwood under Barry Ferguson: a team with lots of lads imported from England's lower-leagues who weren't quite alive to the pace of football up here. Just a bit flat and not very aggressive about their game.

As for one up front. I'm dying for another forward or two. However, the form we came up with last season, and our performances against Alloa and Hamilton have all been predicated on Goodie leading the line with a busy five man midfield behind him. More than that, if we've only got two in the centre of the park, we'd be a far more vulernable team for it. But stick Grant, McStay and Rankin out with Love, Lamont or Boyle? That's a really tough midfield to play through. And a really tough one to stop playing, too. I think Rankin, McStay and Grant will be our best midfield three. Who you pick around and about them, I don't know. Spoiled, really. But with Grant and Rankin we get two really savvy players who'll waste nothing, organise us and snuff out so much. On the flipside, McStay gets the platform he deserves and three players to attack alongside him: Goodie, Love, Lamont or Boyle. It's outstandingly the best balance we could strike.

Worried about Miller being there today. Subtract Goodwillie and our way of playing is undermined entirely. We'd be doing really well to replace him with a forward capable of playing up front himself and contributing in the way Goodie does.

Edited by Sao Paulo

You’re never happy Shedboy !![emoji4]

Haha true. Just felt so many times last year Goodwille would run onto a pass and was total isolated , by the time he held the ball up for support the other team got back in numbers. Stirling Away without doubt springs to mind.Perhaps Hopkirk (Where ever he is) might partner him in some games if hes still with us...

RE Miller: It’s worth noting that Livi have Hamilton in the League Cup a week on Tuesday. They have signed Hardie again and Miller himself is a player-manager so they have some options up top.