The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

I suppose one of the things with McStay is that he came over from Australia at the turn of the year (where he’s been since he was young). There’s no guarantee he was ever set to stay in Scotland, long term. Hopefully, I’m proved wrong mind you.

6 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

I suppose one of the things with McStay is that he came over from Australia at the turn of the year (where he’s been since he was young). There’s no guarantee he was ever set to stay in Scotland, long term. Hopefully, I’m proved wrong mind you.

As far as I know, through mutual acquaintances and the like, he's only been in Australia since he was 14 or something like that. When he initially came over (late last year, I'm assuming), he was on trial with Celtic. I'd imagine he's probably hoping for full time football, and nobody could begrudge him that if the right opportunity came along. Hopefully, for our sake, it doesn't. Having had a bedding-in period, and with a full pre-season behind him, he would be an outrageous player at this level. 

I would imagine mcstay going to cowdenbeath (In daylight) put him off ever coming back...

Joking aside both have been offered but more n likely Grant if any of the both im led to believe...

More concerned Goodwille off to Full time team. Going to be a long few months considering you could be looking at one of say 6 in champ and handful of premier league teams would no doubt fancy his services...

Would hate to lose him but we could never stand in his way for what hes done in the last season and a bit for club particular the 9th placed season

As discussed endlessly, he (Goodwillie) is obviously more than capable of starting with 90% of teams in Scotland. Before anyone pitches in from other sides, this is based on watching him in virtually every game he has played for us. He is a terrific player with an unbelievable attitude. 

The issue (apart from the obvious) is that the higher up the leagues he potentially goes just increases the amount of negative press he will get. We are in a forgotten league and it still reaches the papers (even if it is lazy journalism) so can’t see any team outside L2 being prepared to risk the flack. Great for us but unfortunate for the player I’m afraid. 

If he does go however, he would do with my eternal thanks for his immense contribution in probably saving my club from oblivion.

Edited by FREDDYFRY

As discussed endlessly, he (Goodwillie) is obviously more than capable of starting with 90% of teams in Scotland. Before anyone pitches in from other sides, this is based on watching him in virtually every game he has played for us. He is a terrific player with an unbelievable attitude. 
The issue (apart from the obvious) is that the higher up the leagues he potentially goes just increases the amount of negative press he will get. We are in a forgotten league and it still reaches the papers (even if it is lazy journalism) so can’t see any team outside L2 being prepared to risk the flack. Great for us but unfortunate for the player I’m afraid. 
If he does go however, he would do with my eternal thanks for his immense contribution in probably saving my club from oblivion.

In addition to the negative publicity there is the fact that any interested club would also have to pay us a reasonable fee for him. Those 2 factors together work in our favour but even still I will be delighted if we manage to hold onto him for another season.

Class act. With a guy with pace signed in Hopkirk, the best thing we can do is get him the ball quick and on the half turn. Grant will do that. He undeniably took a bit of time adjusting (similar to the two Huddersfield guys saying there was a huge difference playing real matches) but he was physical enough after his first few matches, and his reading of the game wins us possession without having to commit to a tackle