The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

1 minute ago, ColinTheColt said:

Broadwood is our home although just as Clyde have stated in the past in relation to moving south of the Clyde we are exploring other options.

As for other community work you are corrrect in what you say and in this respect I give you the Colts sleepout in support of Glasgow City Mission and the Simon Community not forgetting our annual foodbank collection in aid of The House of Bread in  Cumbernauld Town Centre. Oh, and the various outreach programmes we are involved in. Oh, and the GoFitba programme which is currently ongoing at Broadwood at the moment.

I suspect that the comments made in the previous tweet are bourne from the feeling that we have served our purpose as far as NLL are concerned and that despite constantly being referred to as stadium partners the reality is that we are just tenants and third in line to the the Clydes and SRUs of this world. A shame really. 

This meltdown can only lead me to believe that tweet was yours and you are absolutely raging that someone screenshotted it before you deleted it.

Diddy club with a diddy chairman.

Stay off the internet when you've had a beer.

Broadwood is our home although just as Clyde have stated in the past in relation to moving south of the Clyde we are exploring other options.
As for other community work you are corrrect in what you say and in this respect I give you the Colts sleepout in support of Glasgow City Mission and the Simon Community not forgetting our annual foodbank collection in aid of The House of Bread in  Cumbernauld Town Centre. Oh, and the various outreach programmes we are involved in. Oh, and the GoFitba programme which is currently ongoing at Broadwood at the moment.
I suspect that the comments made in the previous tweet are bourne from the feeling that we have served our purpose as far as NLL are concerned and that despite constantly being referred to as stadium partners the reality is that we are just tenants and third in line to the the Clydes and SRUs of this world. A shame really. 

Someone has a major chip on their shoulder.

I’ve lived in Cumbernauld all my life (30 plus years) and only know of Clyde engaging in schools when I was at school and even now with my kids being at school. That’s engaging in the community, as well as all the mental health initiatives etc. Having kids playing football through various levels in your set up is just running a football club. Were the terms of your grant Stewart not more about engaging in the community and not running a football club?

Fandabbywee78, what more do you want us to do?

" Colts sleepout in support of Glasgow City Mission and the Simon Community not forgetting our annual foodbank collection in aid of The House of Bread in  Cumbernauld Town Centre. Oh, and the various outreach programmes we are involved in. Oh, and the GoFitba programme which is currently ongoing at Broadwood at the moment."

Also, see our twitter account for details of the school based activities we are involved in.

P.S. there are more than just Stewart involved at the club!

Guys from the colts may do decent community work,but nowhere near what Clyde now do.

Suspect NLL have been monitoring who engages in worthwhile community involvement and has a sustainable community programme moving forward. By making their preference obvious- the colts - like Clyde previously have apparently spat the proverbial dummy.

Fandabbywee78, what more do you want us to do?
" Colts sleepout in support of Glasgow City Mission and the Simon Community not forgetting our annual foodbank collection in aid of The House of Bread in  Cumbernauld Town Centre. Oh, and the various outreach programmes we are involved in. Oh, and the GoFitba programme which is currently ongoing at Broadwood at the moment."
Also, see our twitter account for details of the school based activities we are involved in.
P.S. there are more than just Stewart involved at the club!

Clearly it’s not all schools in close vicinity to Broadwood then as my kids haven’t even heard of you. Neither had I until six years ago.

See the Clyde Community Foundation and Clyde FC twitter feeds for details of exactly the type of things you should be engaging in. Do you do anything to help children or adults with mental health issues, or physical/learning disabilities for example? The things you list above, whilst admirable, just don’t go far enough. I’m down at Broadwood multiple times a week and see no mention of a GoFitba programme so clearly you don’t do enough to advertise any good work that you do.

You are right about us not advertising our activities enough but we don't want to be seen as bragging about things we do in the community. For your information though, we do run a disability section and were, I believe, the first in the area to do so but because of the nature of it we don't feel that it is appropriate to promote it other than to those who it is aimed at.  See the OfficialCcolts twitter feeds for details of all our activities such as the Lunch Club and after school club in Eastfield Primary today.   

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

30 minutes ago, ColinTheColt said:

You are right about us not advertising our activities enough but we don't want to be seen as bragging about things we do in the community. For your information though, we do run a disability section and were, I believe, the first in the area to do so but because of the nature of it we don't feel that it is appropriate to promote it other than to those who it is aimed at.  See the OfficialCcolts twitter feeds for details of all our activities such as the Lunch Club and after school club in Eastfield Primary today.   

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Lowland League forum for this pish.

2 hours ago, fandabbywee78 said:

Clearly it’s not all schools in close vicinity to Broadwood then as my kids haven’t even heard of you. Neither had I until six years ago.

See the Clyde Community Foundation and Clyde FC twitter feeds for details of exactly the type of things you should be engaging in. Do you do anything to help children or adults with mental health issues, or physical/learning disabilities for example? The things you list above, whilst admirable, just don’t go far enough. I’m down at Broadwood multiple times a week and see no mention of a GoFitba programme so clearly you don’t do enough to advertise any good work that you do.

Pretty sure the power chair team are still going (and doing well). 

image1.thumb.jpeg.b018e3dd2d6c58340b67ac65296b5ddc.jpeg

image2.thumb.jpeg.1e9ee9685b6089ea7aff92a71ee96a58.jpeg

image3.thumb.jpeg.ec52e315e48d82219a1cc30dc299c4ad.jpeg

You’ve just invalidated your own argument. Why not advertise your community activities? If the community don’t know they’re there then they can’t utilise them! It’s not bragging, that’s just plain common sense - letting your local community know what’s available to them! Again lunch and after school clubs in one primary school doesn’t mean active ongoing community engagement. There are multiple schools in Cumbernauld! It also cuts out full time working parent families who can’t access services after working times. I can see why the relationship with NLL has broken down if the club can’t take constructive criticism and guidance over their current community engagement.

Having a nephew who is registered disabled, there are lots of charities in the area. They all advertise in the community because desperate parents want to know of these services being available to them. It’s also vital for these charities because they potentially need future parent volunteers to keep the services going. Not all “disabled” children are in assisted learning schools, many children on the autism spectrum, for example, are in mainstream schooling but they might not be able to cope with “mainstream” football coaching sessions with large groups of kids, so advertising openly (and not just targeted) helps reach these children and their parents too.

Volunteer staff and coaches are again admirable but all football clubs at this level need them, otherwise they wouldn’t be able to meet operating costs. Clyde openly advertise for them on an ongoing basis. The only paid people at that club are players and management/back room staff to the team. Even the players, who are part time, have full time jobs to juggle. Directors, photographers, website designers, lottery agents, supporters liaison officer and fundraisers etc are all voluntary positions, again with these people also having full time jobs.

Having  recently taking on the role of Club Development Coach for Cumbernauld Colts this thread has been an interesting read!

Think all clubs who do any sort of community engagement should be commended... in our own league Spartans are certainly excellent in what they do as well as a couple of others. I am aware of a lot of the work Clyde do and am friendly with Craig Peattie, who runs Clyde's PowerChair team. Also know Tom Elliot a little. In my opinion both clubs do more than most in their respective leagues in terms of community engagement.

We recognise that we have perhaps not advertised/marketed ourselves as well as we could have in the past and are taking steps to address this.

Just for a flavour of our #ColtsInTheCommunity involvement, we have...

- ASN/Disability Class, a Tuesday night class (ASC) for children on our waiting lists or not involved in team football, our 2013s Academy, GoFitba/FooTea project which provides free football, food and nutrition info to children from deprived areas, Mini-Kickers classes and another P1-7 weekend class similar to that which takes place on a Tuesday.

- In terms of schools we have been in a number for visits/health weeks/blocks in recent year but that had admittedly slipped - this was due to work/training commitments for our previous Club Development Coach. As you will see on our Twitter (@OfficialCColts) we are beginning to ramp this up again at St Michael's PS and Eastfield PS. Also happy to report that we're in discussions with Baird Memorial PS, Westfield PS and a couple of others. Even got two schools in South Lanarkshire (Blantyre and Hamilton) interested in having us in.

- We also, as aforementioned, have our annual foodbank collection and ran the #ColtsSleepout event, which will hopefully become an annual occurance. North Lanarkshire Leisure were very supportive in terms of the organisation for this event and also gave us an extremely generous donation, which went towards giving £1500 each to Glasgow City Care and The Simon Community Scotland. Every so often we also send kits and equipment to 3rd-world countries in Africa.

All of this, of course, is on top of our football teams where 100+ volunteers provide pathways for 600+ boys and girls from ages 3-adult, including two amateur teams and an Over 35s team as well as our Lowland League side.

Having only entered senior football three seasons ago, I would hazard that that may be why locals only still know of us (if at all) as a 'Boys Club'.

As Club Development Coach I am personally happy to take on any suggestions in terms of improving club advertising/promotion and/or community engagement ideas.

As above, keep up-to-date with all our work on Twitter at @OfficialCColts or online at www.cumbernauld-colts.com

Best of luck to Clyde in the new season, Danny Lennon is an excellent manager and a nice guy to boot. Indeed, only the other week he was lauding the excellent set-up that the Colts have. 

Cheers

Chris

Edited by CMcLaughlin

8 hours ago, KieranClyde said:

What about Stewart McKenzie posting about lifting the pitch and chucking Broadwood on twitter? 

As mentioned by CTC, probably a heat-of-the-moment tweet borne out of frustration at recent talks re the pitch/stadium usage. 

Won't pretend to know the full details but I know that talks re the future of the pitch and Colts/Clyde/Rugby at Broadwood have been taking place on and off for some time.

Part of me wonders if NLL regret giving Colts such full and wide-ranging access when we moved in, particularly in terms of stadium pitch lets, now that Clyde/Rugby are both on the up again. However (again I'm not privy to full details) there will have been certain agreements made and contracts signed re this. Some of which relate to the lifespan of the current 'grass' surface on top of the pitch, and others which are tied to the lifespan of the foundations and groundworks underneath the stadium pitch.

As mentioned by CTC, probably a heat-of-the-moment tweet borne out of frustration at recent talks re the pitch/stadium usage. 

A chairman should not be tweeting in the "heat of the moment".

I do not agree with everything our chairman says in regards to Clyde but I do know that it is considered and calm.

Your chairman represents the club. He should realise he is in a position of trust and should act like it.