The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

And just like that there are the reasons, however much as it's just talk, to pay for a pricier season ticket early. Ambition, pride and focus. 
The last four months have sent a clear signal to players of other teams and potential loaning clubs that we mean business.
As an aside, isn't it great to have a manager who people are worried about leaving? 

Spot on [emoji122]

On 29/04/2018 at 15:40, KieranClyde said:

Champions

On 29/04/2018 at 17:07, haufdaft said:
On 29/04/2018 at 15:40, KieranClyde said:
Champions

Promoted as Champions. I wouldn't want it any other way.

9 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

At a canter.

Good to see that you guys have learned from past pain and taken a more cautious view of things by waiting until the 13th (an omen?) post of this thread before making the usual proclamations. Who knows - at the 10th attempt, and this time with a more than capable management team at the helm, this time I might even believe it myself. More chance of that than a Clyde-QP friendship derby, assuming you've forgiven Berwick for Saturday's audacity?

28 minutes ago, David W said:

As an aside, isn't it great to have a manager who people are worried about leaving? 

you mean that Duffy's return (with Speirs as his assistant) isn't already a done deal?

I read about your comments on the rise to your walk up prices next season. My fear in this is that other clubs will also follow suit as that’s the way it tends to happen.

I help coach one of the Academy team at Stirling and only 3 of the 18 children in my age group go to Stirling games or have any interest in the first team. After our round of matches on Saturday 4 parents approached me to ask about our game against Stenny in the afternoon.

I told them all about it and ultimately the question was asked “how much is it get in?” I said that children are free and adults are £13. There was a few grumblings about how it wasn’t worth it and off they went.

My argument to them was, where else can a Father and Son have an afternoon out for £13? There view was they weren’t paying that for lower league football and that they would be closer to £20 by the time they leave.......again, where can a Father and Son have an afternoon out somewhere for £20? It’s safe to say none of them turned up that afternoon.

I know I’m probably boring you all now and you are thinking “so what?” but how many other floating fans are no longer coming to games because of the pricing and matchday experience? We all play in half empty, if not more, stadiums surely Clyde and everyone else can be doing more to get people through the gates.

If we lose the Play Offs I have no doubt Stirling will also put their price up to £14, as will others in League 2, but even though it’s only a single pound more expensive, the whole picture is enough to turn people away and keep away supporters at home.

5 minutes ago, Sao Paulo said:

Be some signing if he's still reasonably fit. Him and Goodie up top in this league!? Phh.

I'd be guessing that Goodie will be taking his place at St Mirren.

John Sutton released as expected by StMirren as i suggested would happen on other thread , Still.only 34. He.d do for starters....??!

Your predictions are becoming Nostradamus like in accuracy. But then you knew I would say that, didn’t you?

On 5/1/2018 at 07:10, BB_Bino said:

I read about your comments on the rise to your walk up prices next season. My fear in this is that other clubs will also follow suit as that’s the way it tends to happen.

I help coach one of the Academy team at Stirling and only 3 of the 18 children in my age group go to Stirling games or have any interest in the first team. After our round of matches on Saturday 4 parents approached me to ask about our game against Stenny in the afternoon.

I told them all about it and ultimately the question was asked “how much is it get in?” I said that children are free and adults are £13. There was a few grumblings about how it wasn’t worth it and off they went.

My argument to them was, where else can a Father and Son have an afternoon out for £13? There view was they weren’t paying that for lower league football and that they would be closer to £20 by the time they leave.......again, where can a Father and Son have an afternoon out somewhere for £20? It’s safe to say none of them turned up that afternoon.

I know I’m probably boring you all now and you are thinking “so what?” but how many other floating fans are no longer coming to games because of the pricing and matchday experience? We all play in half empty, if not more, stadiums surely Clyde and everyone else can be doing more to get people through the gates.

If we lose the Play Offs I have no doubt Stirling will also put their price up to £14, as will others in League 2, but even though it’s only a single pound more expensive, the whole picture is enough to turn people away and keep away supporters at home.

The point that was missed by some on the other thread was that it's not just about one club, or that in theory a club isn't justified to increase prices from time to time - inflation alone would be one reasonable cause.  But it depends on the starting position.

Basic economics relies on two things, costs / profits and price structure in relation to quality and demand.  You can slash and burn costs all day long but if the pricing is inappropriate then demand disappears, organisations reduced to relying on the loyalty of what they already have.  Sport generally is bad for this kind of thing.

Take the example you've just given.  If clubs had a brain, they'd realise that an adult bringing kids to a game is effectively doing their job for them.  These could be potentially new long term supporters and no doubt they'll buy something while at the ground - programme, food / drinks, maybe even some merch.  It's positive that certain age groups get free admission, but if anything, adults bringing kids to the game should get a discount on their own admission on a sliding scale.  Bring two kids, adult admission goes down to £10,  3 or more, down to £8 for example.  It doesnt matter how well you argued the case, your friends found the package unattractive and your club missed out.  For your club, read everyone else's.

Football and sport generally in this country can't constantly moan and question what can they do, be given the answers, then revert to their archaic conservative mindset and dismiss it as unworkable.  Every other industry had to adapt.  All clubs could reduce walk up prices very easily if they wanted to, at least 25% - 30% would begin to bring it in line with the quality, but they won't and round and round they'll go.     And that, Bino, is when you'll start to get the begging letters, what more YOU need to do.  Unbelievable.

The point that was missed by some on the other thread was that it's not just about one club, or that in theory a club isn't justified to increase prices from time to time - inflation alone would be one reasonable cause.  But it depends on the starting position.
Basic economics relies on two things, costs / profits and price structure in relation to quality and demand.  You can slash and burn costs all day long but if the pricing is inappropriate then demand disappears, organisations reduced to relying on the loyalty of what they already have.  Sport generally is bad for this kind of thing.
Take the example you've just given.  If clubs had a brain, they'd realise that an adult bringing kids to a game is effectively doing their job for them.  These could be potentially new long term supporters and no doubt they'll buy something while at the ground - programme, food / drinks, maybe even some merch.  It's positive that certain age groups get free admission, but if anything, adults bringing kids to the game should get a discount on their own admission on a sliding scale.  Bring two kids, adult admission goes down to £10,  3 or more, down to £8 for example.  It doesnt matter how well you argued the case, your friends found the package unattractive and your club missed out.  For your club, read everyone else's.
Football and sport generally in this country can't constantly moan and question what can they do, be given the answers, then revert to their archaic conservative mindset and dismiss it as unworkable.  Every other industry had to adapt.  All clubs could reduce walk up prices very easily if they wanted to, at least 25% - 30% would begin to bring it in line with the quality, but they won't and round and round they'll go.     And that, Bino, is when you'll start to get the begging letters, what more YOU need to do.  Unbelievable.

But if you reduce prices to that extent all the evidence is that your income levels go down and thus you have less money to invest in the team which then loses and reduces crowds going forward. Clubs tend to try to price at an equilibrium level and have to manage short and medium term finance as well as looking to the long term.

9 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

But if you reduce prices to that extent all the evidence is that your income levels go down and thus you have less money to invest in the team which then loses and reduces crowds going forward. Clubs tend to try to price at an equilibrium level and have to manage short and medium term finance as well as looking to the long term.

Clubs Like Cowdenbeath? Hows that going for you?

19 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

I understand your point, but it's an argument that's been made for years and doesn't stack up.

For a start, I understand that the League themselves set the equivalent of the RRP (or used to).  How they came to these figures only anyone can guess.

Secondly, what you've said is exactly my point of clubs being reduced to having to draw from the same well. The Stirling lad's example is typical of what's happening, how are you supposed to attract new people to attend when they've basically voted with their feet when looking at the standard compared to asking price ?

Third,  all walk up prices far exceed the rate of inflation.  If you take just the lower leagues, how can that be justified ?  How has the cost basis of lower league teams that you're referring to increased way beyond RPI ?  What are the additional costs they have now compared to the 90's ?

In the last 10 years, the majority of industries have managed to do the very thing you're asking, finding ways to address costs while keeping pricing competitive and attractive in order to survive and progress.  But apparently that's not possible in football?  95% (at least) of all Scottish teams don't win anything, the standard is poor, and a far superior product is available on tap through Sky & BT Sport packages.  So how is having an overpriced product going to help clubs develop ?    The majority of grounds are just about empty, do you think doing the same thing over and over again's going to change that?  It'll ultimately  end one way.