Dunfermline v Dundee United | Dundee United v Dunfermline

As said that sums up our season. On our day we are as good as anyone in the league but can't last 90 mins. I don't know if this is poor tactics, substitutions or fitness. 

Squad depth. Our backup players aren’t good enough. Look at our bench last night and on Tuesday, none of those players are capable of coming on and improving the team/changing a game. We fade out of games, once substitutions come into effect. Poor summer recruitment has been the issue, as we’ve been stuck with those players being backup, since improving our starting 11 in January.

Improve the quality of cover/increase competition for places, and we could have a good year next season.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And Livvy or Saints have better squads than us?

For the start of the season yes our midfield was a joke, only one person to blame for that. Same story as the season before. Hutton as a backup keeper and then bailing out the squad in January with Clark, McMullan and Herron. We need to be ready from the start of the season. 

Well we had good days like beating St Mirren at home 3-1 and bad days like losing 3-2 after being two goals up at your ground.
I think it's fair to say on our day we can beat anyone but lack consistency for entire games and for spells of games like last night.
Would like to see certain games again this season and try to figure out why? For the most part it was getting overrun in midfield or losing concentration. So many frustrating goals and chucked away when there was options available like away to Livvy when they were down to ten men and we played the same formation with no wingers then brought on a youngster when Cardle was on the bench.
Things like that have cost us ten to fifteen points and I reckon even Jim Duffy would have corrected most of it. 

3-1, When did that happen? I was at a 3-0 pumping of the eventual champions.

That was watching the Pars to a tee.

First half, we were excellent. Totally bossed it and deserved to be ahead, but I said at half-time I hope we don't rue the missed chances, more so McManus one-on-one than Clark off the bar.

Once United scored (typically scrappy goal for us to concede, but predatory stuff from McDonald) it put us on the back foot. I actually thought we'd weathered much of the storm just before the second goal, but them's the breaks. I could've understood the M'Voto sub with 5 to go rather than 15, but we just didn't look like fashioning anything. I felt we had some players physically and mentally tired - they gave everything.

Aside from not being more clinical, I can't really complain about how our guys went about it. It wasn't to be and, fair play to United, they turned the tables well after the break. It was a keenly contested tie over the two games but we've just come up short. I didn't think we'd have come right through the play-offs anyway but it's hard to take.

A lot of decisions in terms of our squad will need to be made now, but that's for another day. It's been an up-and-down season - when is it not watching Dunfermline - with some high points, like the Inverness game.

Disappointed it's over and sad for the 2,000 plus Pars fans there last night, who were absolutely superb.

Good luck to United moving forward. Hopefully if you sod off to the Premiership, we might be able to beat you next time we meet! [emoji23]

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

Gotta feel for Dunfermline. From a Saints point of view they, along with Livi, were easily the most competitive in the league. A 20 minute drop of performance over the season sees them dumped out? That's gotta hurt.

Utd won more points against St Mirren than both Livi & Dunfermline (6 vs 4 and 3). In a mini-league of the final top 4, Saints come top with 22 pts, Utd on 20, with Pars & Livi  back on13 and 12. You may just be recalling us being terrible generally in games against you, which is fair enough. Most Arabs agree we have been awful for most of the season.

We were the better team by a mile until that first Utd goal, bit of a pain but if you don't take your chances you're going to get punished. 

To top it all off the train home was delayed by about half an hour, sakes. 

And Livvy or Saints have better squads than us?
For the start of the season yes our midfield was a joke, only one person to blame for that. Same story as the season before. Hutton as a backup keeper and then bailing out the squad in January with Clark, McMullan and Herron. We need to be ready from the start of the season. 

We signed Clark in August. McMullan was there all season I think no?

Watched the highlights. Counted at least six times Higginbotham was visibly seething throughout. Delicious stuff.

Got a link to them?

Need cheering up

Just now, Back Post Misses said:

Loads of if Ma Auntie had baws coming from the mutants

It's  Fife, they probably do.............................

sorry cheap joke, couldn't help myself. :ph34r: 

17 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

It's  Fife, they probably do.............................

sorry cheap joke, couldn't help myself. :ph34r: 

I’ve heard that comment six times.  

Or ‘a handful’ of you’re a Fifer.

Archived