League Champions Thread

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, endieinreekie said:

Hands off

Okay - you can have another season. Our manager has fairly turned things around anyway in the last 10 games. 

Pleased to see Petrie doing well. Had a great 10 years or so at East End and got better each season.

Delighted at Montrose winning the league title.
I used to train up at Links Park with your goalkeeping coach and sometimes join Mark Peat & Stuart (I've forgotten his surname but the big guy who was the understudy for a season or two) so I felt quite close to the club then and genuinely wanted you guys to do really well. It was really genuinely disappointing when that era didn't herald results as there seemed to be a lot of promise and it was even worse when it looked like falling out of the league system was a real prospect.
No disrespect to other teams in the league who might feel suffering but I think you guys must have a serious case of being the longest suffering fans in pretty much-getting nothing of note (apart from a semi-final in the playoffs). It'll always be tough to adapt after promotion but I'm pretty sure Petrie will put together a good side next season and you'll have a good season.

Stuart McKenzie is the chap you're thinking of. Good chance he'll be back in League 2 next season with Cove Rangers.

Compared with the tension of last week and much of the end of the season, things seem very chillaxed this week. It seems ages since Saturday now.

Still coming to terms with the juxtaposition of "Montrose" and "winners", after decades of lazy epithets from hack (poor excuse for) journos: "strugglers", "lowly", "basement", "losers" etc.

One thing I really sense, is what a massive relief it is not to have to undergo the purgatory of the playoffs. It seems to me to be as much a punishment for not winning, as it is an opportunity or second chance. A minimum of 360 minutes more football, spread over almost two weeks and often as not hundreds of miles of travelling to get promoted.

Sod that for a game of soldiers!

Unlike World Cups: playoffs, one competition, I am delighted my team is sitting out.

3 hours ago, gableender said:

So apparently behind Rangers with 83 points, we have won League 2 with the second highest points tally, 77 to be exact. Amazing! Mon ih Mo

Has news of this just broken in this weeks Mearns Leader

5 minutes ago, gableender said:

Bitter?

No not at all, we had plenty chances to take it but did,nt take them, will have to check if The Buchanie reported that we ended the season with the highest points total for a 2nd placed team. :wub:

4 hours ago, gableender said:

So apparently behind Rangers with 83 points, we have won League 2 with the second highest points tally, 77 to be exact. Amazing! Mon ih Mo

It was still the third division when Rangers won it. East Fife won it with 88 points in 07/08.

17 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

It was still the third division when Rangers won it. East Fife won it with 88 points in 07/08.

And Gretna had 98 points in 04/05.

A fantastic achievement from Montrose regardless, of course.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

And Gretna had 98 points in 04/05.

A fantastic achievement from Montrose regardless, of course.

So really, what you're saying is that Montrose are the only proper team to have won it with such a high points tally, other that East Fife, who won it when it was called something different.

The local rag here, which sadly last time I was back,  had degenerated from a half decent paper to a "Merge Angus" effort, is the Montrose Review. The southern part of the Mearns had the Kincardineshire Observer, known as the "two minutes silence". The Mearns Leader was the paper for Stonehaven and northern end up to Portlethen.

Don't know if they have survived as separate entities. I suspect not.

Sad to see demise of decent local papers but think it's inevitable in this www.world.

Archived