League Champions Thread

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, A Username With Mo In It said:

I think this is probably one of the best days of my life! Seeing the Mo win the league after almost 50 years of watching so much dross over the years has been almost overwhelming.

I felt such a fool when I burst out greetin at full time, only to realise that I was surrounded by sobbing Mo fans! :D

Forget your glory hunting Premier league pish - winning the league after such a long wait with a team like the Mo is the ultimate football experience.

Thanks to SP, the players and everyone else involved with the club. Season 2017/18 really has been the perfect season and I doubt it will ever be bettered.

I love this post!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend ! 

After apologising for butting into the Top of the League thread a while back when we appeared to be in contention for a play-off spot it just shows how after watching years of dross it was hard to imagine a celebration like yesterday. But it happened. I could say 'Oh ye/me of little faith' but honestly after following the Mo home and away for many years maybe you can imagine how it's been hard to seriously think we would finally end up with the trophy.

A final word for Peterhead fans. Your club really made it hard but with the points total we both collected normally it would have been good enough to win a league title. Hope your lads are back up for it in the play-off though no disrespect meant to Binos, Stenny and QP fans.  The helicopter pilot said he had his machine pointing this way and that way right to the wire.

Hope the mighty Mo fans had a great night, you've had a long wait for success, 20 odd years in the same division, what dedication, you'll have plenty of new numpties to chew the cud with on here next season.

From the PFC website:

Peterhead manager Jim McInally:

“It was not a great performance, especially in the second half, because we went out on to the pitch on a high and then word filtered through quickly that Montrose had scored.”

“We were just nervy but the players deserve credit because the place was flat and they got a goal to go and win the match.”

“We set them the target to go and win all six games after the Montrose defeat and they have done that, which is terrific.”

“Sadly it was not to be but credit to Montrose and I mean that from the bottom of my heart.”

“If we were going to lose the title to a team, I am glad we have lost it to them because they have a good manager and good people at their club.”

“They will have a good night but hopefully we can join them by winning promotion through the play-offs.”

“Our players need to get over the disappointment quickly because 76 points usually wins this league so they can be proud of their efforts.”

“It is hard to win 24 games out of 36, 19 points per quarter.  They are good statistics but sometimes you have got to hold your hands up and say that Montrose deserved it.”

1 hour ago, Blue-Toon said:

From the PFC website:

Peterhead manager Jim McInally:

“It was not a great performance, especially in the second half, because we went out on to the pitch on a high and then word filtered through quickly that Montrose had scored.”

“We were just nervy but the players deserve credit because the place was flat and they got a goal to go and win the match.”

“We set them the target to go and win all six games after the Montrose defeat and they have done that, which is terrific.”

“Sadly it was not to be but credit to Montrose and I mean that from the bottom of my heart.”

“If we were going to lose the title to a team, I am glad we have lost it to them because they have a good manager and good people at their club.”

“They will have a good night but hopefully we can join them by winning promotion through the play-offs.”

“Our players need to get over the disappointment quickly because 76 points usually wins this league so they can be proud of their efforts.”

“It is hard to win 24 games out of 36, 19 points per quarter.  They are good statistics but sometimes you have got to hold your hands up and say that Montrose deserved it.”

Respect to Jim. I know he's had his critics but 76 points can't surely be criticised fairly by anyone even though it fell one short of the ultimate prize. Eight other teams in the division came nowhere near 76 points.

Congratulations to Montrose.

Put us to the sword when it counted and held their bottle to take the title.

Now we have the play offs and after 3 failed play offs under Jim it might be 4th time lucky?

20 hours ago, A Username With Mo In It said:

I think this is probably one of the best days of my life! Seeing the Mo win the league after almost 50 years of watching so much dross over the years has been almost overwhelming.

I felt such a fool when I burst out greetin at full time, only to realise that I was surrounded by sobbing Mo fans! :D

Forget your glory hunting Premier league pish - winning the league after such a long wait with a team like the Mo is the ultimate football experience.

Thanks to SP, the players and everyone else involved with the club. Season 2017/18 really has been the perfect season and I doubt it will ever be bettered.

Too true. Nothing beats it. I remember a fellow supporter saying he just wanted promotion when we were last going for the title. I could not understand that view. I honestly never thought we would ever win a title in my lifetime and there we were in with a chance of a second one in 6 years. Promotion is good, but nothing beats winning a title. No matter what happens, I was there when we actually won something. Like you, all those years watching dross. Dreaming of even faintly challenging for a title. Then having a replica top with a winners badge on it.

I always used to think most other smaller clubs won titles every handful of years, but not us. It is only when you check that you realise there are clubs like ours who rarely win the league.

You guys can strengthen and who knows, win League 1 next season. You have to keep believing. 

Absolutely over the moon!!

Losing that goal before half time, you could only think ‘well this is where it all falls away, after all we are Montrose’
I dunno what SP said in the half time talk but it worked!!

Sobbing my heart out at the final whistle.

Amazing night at the EOS doo too, which woulda been a far more somber affair if it hadn’t gone our way.

Well done Montrose. Better all round X1 team for the season for me. I was rooting for you to win it over Peterhead. The signing of Milne was always going to be a massive signing for you.

Hope you enjoyed your night

After waiting so long it was great to finally get over the line. Told my grandson to savour every minute as they don't come along that often.

Has been a long 33 years wait for a second title. 1985 on the pitch celebrating with then manager Ian Stewart on my shoulders and had the great pleasure to meet the man again on Saturday after the game. Too many grown men greeting at full time myself included and hugging for far too long.

Big thanks to SP Rosco JB Paul and the boys for making an old man very happy and extremely emotional.

A final happy retirement to the wonderful octopus Big Chris Temple man and thanks for the memories.               Enjoy it Sanny and see you at Legend's Day in years to come

For the first time in my 20 year lifetime, the Mo have FINALLY pulled themselves up out of the depths of League 2. What an amazing feeling. Congratulations to all involved with the Mo. Class of the boys to also make sure they celebrated in Montrose afterwards with the Gable Endies. Busbys was bouncing!! 

Delighted at Montrose winning the league title.

I used to train up at Links Park with your goalkeeping coach and sometimes join Mark Peat & Stuart (I've forgotten his surname but the big guy who was the understudy for a season or two) so I felt quite close to the club then and genuinely wanted you guys to do really well. It was really genuinely disappointing when that era didn't herald results as there seemed to be a lot of promise and it was even worse when it looked like falling out of the league system was a real prospect.

No disrespect to other teams in the league who might feel suffering but I think you guys must have a serious case of being the longest suffering fans in pretty much-getting nothing of note (apart from a semi-final in the playoffs). It'll always be tough to adapt after promotion but I'm pretty sure Petrie will put together a good side next season and you'll have a good season.

Congratulations to Montrose very well deserved and held their nerve despite Peterhead breathing down their neck for most of the season. To go from bottom in season 15/16 to top this season is some turn around.

I would like to say a special word of thanks to whoever it was made the decision to install an all-weather pitch.

Not only has this allowed the first team to play almost all their matches, avoiding mid-week rescheduled games and helping maintain momentum, it has also provided a wonderful foundation for the community trust work.  This has helped make the club, far more than "a badge, 15 semi-pro. players and league membership".

Hope to join in the Monday night "Just Play" sessions when I get back to Montrose in a few weeks time. A great initiative for " (never) has beens" like me.

"Steve: Stanley Matthews was playing First Division football when he was fifty.

Paul Ashworth: I'll bet you any money you like you're not playing First Division football when you're fifty.

Steve: [looks at his cigarette] Well, no. It's the smoking.

Paul Ashworth: It's NOT the smoking, Steve. It's the crapness."

(Fever Pitch (1997))

What a weekend it's been for Montrose Fc enjoyed every minute off it.The player's where in great form Saturday night in the town was superb to see.
Great to see Templeman sign off his career with a medal,what a signing he has been and a superb guy.

I fucking love Big Temps. There were signs towards the end of the season that he was finished but what a signing he has been for us. His goals have been crucial but more importantly was his ability to control a ball, hold it up and bring teammates into the game. His touch for being a big gangly b*****d was superb. We'll miss him, but Martin Rennie looks like a decent replacement and should be better with a full pre-season with us.

It's early doors yet but I'm sure SP is already thinking about his squad for next season. Defence should take care of itself with Dillon, Matty, Bolo and steeves. Might need a replacement for Cammy but who knows, might depend on what happens with Utd in the next couple of weeks. Would love him to stay tho. Midfield, and much as I hate to say it, Watson is probably gone. Love the guy but he hasn't played much this season. Milne and Redman should be okay in the 1st but could do with more depth. Up front is where we will need signings.

I still can't believe we did it! I was in tears on Saturday. There's a heavy price to be paid though as it was our 10th wedding anniversary and we were supposed to be going away for it. But as I told her I've loved the Mo for much longer than her.

Archived