Old Petershill pic

williebhoy

7 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Weird - the chimney stack being in more or less the same position was what made me assume it was a pre-pavilion photo. Wonder where it was - the old Atlas Park maybe?

Don't think it is Atlas Park either, as the hill in the background doesn't fit in with the area around where that ground was either.  I have it on my PC labelled as "unknown", as there is no info on the picture, we have others that have the date and venue written on the back. 

Here's one of Hawthorn Park, where we played from 1919 to 1934, the tenement in the background is still there on the corner of Hawthorn Street and Horne Street, with the Carron scheme and flats now on the hill on the left.

hawthorn park.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just looks like a slightly different angle. 
I have a 1910 OS Map, and on the other side of Hawthorn Street at that time was Possil Brickworks, which would certainly have had a chimney, so there is a very good chance that it is Hawthorn Park.

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

Found this one which seems to have been taken from roughly the same angle, but must be from even earlier as the "new" pavilion isn't there yet.

I think most people in their heart of hearts realise making the move was the correct one for the Peasy both logistically and financially. but it doesn't stop us missing the old gaff.

petershill.jpg

11 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Don't think it is Atlas Park either, as the hill in the background doesn't fit in with the area around where that ground was either.  I have it on my PC labelled as "unknown", as there is no info on the picture, we have others that have the date and venue written on the back. 

Here's one of Hawthorn Park, where we played from 1919 to 1934, the tenement in the background is still there on the corner of Hawthorn Street and Horne Street, with the Carron scheme and flats now on the hill on the left.

hawthorn park.jpg

The trees on top of the hill in the background of both pics look very similar.

One of my 1st awaydays as a young lad was to the old petershill park. It just seemed massive, remember the wooden tip up seats in the pavilion stand. I can appreciate why peasy rebuilt as nostalgia doesnt pay the bills

11 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Just like Rome, Springburn has 7 hills.

This thread gives you 1 of a start, can anybody name the other 6?

Balgrayhill..Sighthill...Barnhill...Keppochhill...Huntershill and William Hills on Springburn way

Look even at saracen park aka Ashfield stadium. Big seated stand and covered terracing. And unusually it has been done up (albeit primarily for speedway) but the ground survives and is being invested in.

Another big glasgow ground is pollok, again large covered terrace and good facilities. Coupled to a well maintained pitch, enjoy them whilst we can

Stobhill, Balgrayhill, Hawthornhill, Springburnhill, Keppochhill, Sighthill, Petershill.

Listed on the old Springburn website.

Huntershill is outside Springburn. Barnhill wasn't on the list or Paddy's Hill which was an old nickname for the hill New Petershill Park sits on.

Hawthornhill is basically Ratho Drive and Springburnhill is roughly where the present day health centre sits.

Most of them aren't as such hills as such but drumlins.

Here's a photo I got on P&B somewhere, sometime. No apologies for posting it again on this thread. I'm guessing the new park is roughly on the same site, maybe left a bit, but rotated sideways? It seems to line up with the ends of the streets.

IMG_0165.thumb.jpg.2fc36f13e6c9216af96447215c9a905f.jpg

56 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Here's a photo I got on P&B somewhere, sometime. No apologies for posting it again on this thread. I'm guessing the new park is roughly on the same site, maybe left a bit, but rotated sideways? It seems to line up with the ends of the streets.

IMG_0165.thumb.jpg.2fc36f13e6c9216af96447215c9a905f.jpg

Pretty much - I don't think there's any overlap between the old park and the new one - perhaps some of the current 5-a-side pitches to the east of the new ground do...not 100% sure.

The only thing surviving from the old ground is a 20 metre section of wall on Southloch St still with the crest attached. The old Tinto Park...well, you wouldn't even know it had ever existed now...

12350656823_2489ce4042_b.jpg

2 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Pretty much - I don't think there's any overlap between the old park and the new one - perhaps some of the current 5-a-side pitches to the east of the new ground do...not 100% sure.

The only thing surviving from the old ground is a 20 metre section of wall on Southloch St still with the crest attached. The old Tinto Park...well, you wouldn't even know it had ever existed now...

12350656823_2489ce4042_b.jpg

Cheers, never knew that, need to look for that next time I'm there. These things, like the Brockville turnstile at Morrisons, are worth a photo.

Archived