Old Petershill pic

williebhoy

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loved the old park-what is there now is a soulless atmosphereless sports centre sadly but I recognise that Peasy had no option just to ensure survival.

i always wondered-and you can’t really see it-if there was a full terracing down at the left of the photo?It was a flat end with nothing on it for all my days going there from late 70s.Otherwise a great ground when busy with a really big Glasgow style enclosure which created a great atmosphere-no more so than the Lok v Peasy Central league decider in June 1984 with a crowd of almost 4000 for a Monday evening league game which Lok won 1-0 but had to score another to take the title.

1 hour ago, Broomhill Ultra said:

Love it - record attendance?

19,800 against Bo'ness in the Scottish Junior Cup Quarter Final on March 3rd 1951. There was also around 20,000 of a crowd for the opening match between Rangers and Celtic in 1935.

52 minutes ago, Lokloyal said:

Loved the old park-what is there now is a soulless atmosphereless sports centre sadly but I recognise that Peasy had no option just to ensure survival.

i always wondered-and you can’t really see it-if there was a full terracing down at the left of the photo?It was a flat end with nothing on it for all my days going there from late 70s.Otherwise a great ground when busy with a really big Glasgow style enclosure which created a great atmosphere-no more so than the Lok v Peasy Central league decider in June 1984 with a crowd of almost 4000 for a Monday evening league game which Lok won 1-0 but had to score another to take the title.

I'm glad somebody does, even some of our own members struggle to realize that the old ground was becoming a financial millstone. The maintainance costs were growing all the time while crowds were getting smaller. It was far too big for what we needed and the terracing was starting to get dangerous in places. Ideally we would have stayed there and modernised, but the only way to secure the funding we got was for a new build. The atmosphere isn't just down to the ground, more the number of bodies that are there.

There was terracing at the far end going all the way round, as you say, it was demolished in the late 70s/early 80s to turn that part into a floodlit training area.

Thanks Peasy-and great to remind all that  The supporter base at that time was way beyond anything  known in the last 50 years at any club in the junior grade if not forever.The Peasy and Ashfield drew regular crowds as junior sides unequalled to this day by  any side

One of my main junior fitba regrets is not visiting it. I'd have had ample opportunity but wasn't really going to a lot of games in the period between moving to Glasgow and Peasy moving to the new place. 

Will try not to make the same mistake in future. Places like Benburb were in a bad way but definitely worth at least one visit before they dissappear forever. 

The next generation of grounds is needed to keep pace with modern expectations of what a facility should look like, but you have to wonder if, when their day comes to get modernised, anyone will be as attached to them as they were to the ones we're losing now. Hopefully they will! 

Spoke to a young 70 year old yesterday who said his grandfather ran a supporters bus from the corner of Angus St and Springburn Rd throughout the 1950s and into the 1960s. The bus even had it's own Wembley club. 

My old man was at the Old Firm game in 1935 at Petershill Park. Was there a similar game in the mid 1950s? Sure he said he was at both games.
Yep, they played another match in August 1954 to mark the opening of the covered enclosure, only 8,000 bothered to turn up for that one.

Without going into the politics of present day Junior football, Petershill would have been classic candidate for a pyramid system in the past. Springburn had at least two goes at forming a Senior club, Northern and Cowlairs, the catchment area from the city centre area upwards was easily a 100,000. Certainly in it's day Petershill could easily have been a Hamilton Accies or a Partick Thistle.

18 hours ago, williebhoy said:

Petershill Park, home of Petershill Juniors FC, 1935.

Dbkkp_Fx_X4_AA1udm_jpg_large.jpg

A great photograph indeed. The ground also hosted a visit by Arsenal in 1969. The Gunners played a Junior Scotland XI but as they were also on a scouting mission they asked the SJFA to only select players not provisionally signed by a Senior club. I have heard two different scores - both in Arsenal’s favour – 5:2 & 5:3 – I am fairly sure it was 5:2 but can anyone confirm please?  Also if anyone has an attendance (actual or estimated) that would be great to hear.

The Arsenal team included several players who went on to feature in their double-winning season of 1970/71 (Pat Rice, Sammy Nelson, Eddie Kelly, Charlie George and Ray Kennedy).

Found this one which seems to have been taken from roughly the same angle, but must be from even earlier as the "new" pavilion isn't there yet.

I think most people in their heart of hearts realise making the move was the correct one for the Peasy both logistically and financially. but it doesn't stop us missing the old gaff.

petershill.jpg

Found this one which seems to have been taken from roughly the same angle, but must be from even earlier as the "new" pavilion isn't there yet.
I think most people in their heart of hearts realise making the move was the correct one for the Peasy both logistically and financially. but it doesn't stop us missing the old gaff.
petershill.jpg.fb18e718d07e0c755b0aba04adcc6820.jpg
We aren't entirely sure where that was taken, but it wasn't at Petershill Park. The pavilion was there from day 1 when the ground opened. It was me who scanned both those originals and put them online, and your pic is much older than the 1935 one that the OP posted, which were taken just a couple of days before the ground was opened.

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

old Victoria Park, Newtongrange. A massive venue, never actually saw a game there, only attended a Junior Cup draw there in the Social Club in the early 90's

image.png.589791d58d0ff9d76c7c1d0a9db1638b.png

Remember many memorable games here. Plenty atmosphere in the stand but not so much out on the wilderness terracing. This was maybe due to the speedway track and stock car track. Also remember 1 match being abandoned with fog at ground level on the pitch yet if you were sitting in the stand you were above the fog level and could see the winter sunshine. 

Just now, peasy23 said:
48 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:
petershill.jpg.fb18e718d07e0c755b0aba04adcc6820.jpg

We aren't entirely sure where that was taken, but it wasn't at Petershill Park. The pavilion was there from day 1 when the ground opened. It was me who scanned both those originals and put them online, and your pic is much older than the 1935 one that the OP posted, which were taken just a couple of days before the ground was opened.

Weird - the chimney stack being in more or less the same position was what made me assume it was a pre-pavilion photo. Wonder where it was - the old Atlas Park maybe?

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

petershill.jpg

Is that not Hawthorn St?

Archived