Disgrace of Scottish TV rights

13 hours ago, strichener said:

I am not sure about the breakdown of the games but 60 games could theoretically include  The Rangers and/or Celtic in every game.

Fair point; I was still thinking of the deals prior to Setanta first upping it to 60 games. Those were 38, which was effectively every Celtic and Rangers (RIP) away game. Occasionally one would be dropped in favour of an Edinburgh or Dundee derby.

I think, though, that even with the increase in games the limits on Celtic and Sevco home games are actually stricter than other teams - not for their benefit, but to avoid the situation you describe. Most teams are obligated to allow 6 games to be broadcast, while for those two it's only 4.   That means only 6 "extra" games over and above their away games (2 of the 8 will be them playing each other).  Which still leaves at least 16 games not involving either of them.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, The Master said:

Fair point; I was still thinking of the deals prior to Setanta first upping it to 60 games. Those were 38, which was effectively every Celtic and Rangers (RIP) away game. Occasionally one would be dropped in favour of an Edinburgh or Dundee derby.

I think, though, that even with the increase in games the limits on Celtic and Sevco home games are actually stricter than other teams - not for their benefit, but to avoid the situation you describe. Most teams are obligated to allow 6 games to be broadcast, while for those two it's only 4.   That means only 6 "extra" games over and above their away games (2 of the 8 will be them playing each other).  Which still leaves at least 16 games not involving either of them.

The obligation is the minimum number that must be allowed.  I am sure there was some carry-on last year with Hibs(?) refusing to allow cameras at a game as they had already fulfilled their obligations.

3 minutes ago, strichener said:

The obligation is the minimum number that must be allowed.  I am sure there was some carry-on last year with Hibs(?) refusing to allow cameras at a game as they had already fulfilled their obligations.

Celtic and Sevco hate their home games being broadcast - cf. Celtic refusing to sell the home rights to European games before the centralised deals kick in - so their 4-game minimum obligation is a de facto maximum. 

On 5/11/2018 at 17:25, strichener said:

Whilst there may not be a linear correlation, there is certainly a link between the quality of players and the money.  So it then goes back to what came first and there is can be no argument that it was money.   The reason that I say that it is not linear is that I am pretty sure that all the footballers that have went to China or the MLS have done so for the quality rather than the money. :whistle

To an extent I agree, although English lower leagues are still better supported than the SP. Of course that's down a lot to population. The fact of the matter is we are in the position we're in now. We can talk about the past, that's fine but it won't change. And the bottomline is we get what we deserve and for me a big part of that is decades of mismanagement by the SFA and SPFL (I know the names have changed over the years but never the ideas) 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/13/2018 at 23:05, Adam101 said:

I've had a quick skim through the thread and it's an interesting discussion but I would agree that Scotish football has been undersold to broadcasters and the broadcasters have ripped us off.

There is no doubt in my mind that the days of sky are limited and when English football realises it needs cash quickly from somewhere it will turn to online services, Scotland has to be ahead of the curve and get Netflix or Amazon Prime (or our own broadcasting company, this is not something I would go for as the best option) onside, testing kit, building an audience base before traditional T.V. dies and charge them the value that its worth.

Amazon only record in 4K so might be difficult to transport that type of kit to every ground but these companies are expanding much faster than BT or Sky are and sport is really uncharted territory for them. I would be really unhappy if we signed up to a deal with BT longer than 2 years and we really need to get the BBC to chip in far more than they do MOTD pay £50 per viewer which is outrageous. We should be insisting that we get BBC one coverage of games in the early rounds of the Scottish cup like in England (broadcast across the UK) as well as the 22.30 slot on a Saturday night, these measure I think would go along way to future-proofing our game and I would increase the prize pot for winning each of the divisions rather than large increases in the Premiership and modest increases in the lower divisions.

They should have been banging their door down but instead our esteemed leaders likely sat back and waited for SKY/BT to come calling because I imagine they have the words "SKY/BT are the only game in town' tattooed on their sloping fucking foreheads.

Amazon have picked up 20 EPL games today, paying God alone knows how many multiples of what the SPFL are paid for 60 games.

£30m a year for three years.

Also those 20 games cover only two match days, one bank holiday Monday & one midweek round, where all 10 games will be streamed simultaneously & you can choose which one to watch.

Regarding the Scottish contract, a theory I read recently is in that each of the last two contracts (including the current one) we have been locked into prices set at the time of Rangers going bust. Although we avoided "armageddon" by maintaining more or less the existing rights values and cashflow from TV at that time, there has been an opportunity cost because the contracts in other countries (not just England) have been going up in the meantime. The theory goes that the SPFL *should* get a much better contract next time, when they are no longer covered by those deals.

3 hours ago, EdTheDuck said:

They should have been banging their door down but instead our esteemed leaders likely sat back and waited for SKY/BT to come calling because I imagine they have the words "SKY/BT are the only game in town' tattooed on their sloping fucking foreheads.

Amazon have picked up 20 EPL games today, paying God alone knows how many multiples of what the SPFL are paid for 60 games.

Sky and BT aren't shelling out huge sums of money for other rights though. Sky refused to pay 15m a year for la liga, for example- a sum that wouldn't even get them two EPL matches a year. 

The massive sums of money spent by sky bt and Amazon on the epl is not in itself evidence that the SPFL can't negotiate a decent deal for Scottish clubs. 

2 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Sky and BT aren't shelling out huge sums of money for other rights though. Sky refused to pay 15m a year for la liga, for example- a sum that wouldn't even get them two EPL matches a year. 

The massive sums of money spent by sky bt and Amazon on the epl is not in itself evidence that the SPFL can't negotiate a decent deal for Scottish clubs. 

The SPFL is made up by the clubs, so basically we can't negotiate a decent deal for ourselves so to speak.

Too much tv money will put us back into the dark days, Scottish Football is in a good place just now, loads of young talent coming through because most clubs are focusing on their youth instead of wasting cash on foreign duds. Celtic are a prime example of this just now, their home grown talent won them the league last season. Look how much money they wasted on expensive flops.

• 2 months later...

Apparently some talks have been had with Amazon,  Apple and Facebook, if the paper is to be believed. Hope there has been some positives to take from them. I like the idea of not going down the same old played out routine of pretending we have other suitors and then letting Sky and BT shaft us. I guess time will tell if this will be different.

10 minutes ago, Spring Onion said:

Apparently some talks have been had with Amazon,  Apple and Facebook, if the paper is to be believed. Hope there has been some positives to take from them. I like the idea of not going down the same old played out routine of pretending we have other suitors and then letting Sky and BT shaft us. I guess time will tell if this will be different.

The general P&B opinion is that BT sports genuinely cares about Scottish football, I can't see how they'd try to shaft us.

2 hours ago, bennett said:

The general P&B opinion is that BT sports genuinely cares about Scottish football, I can't see how they'd try to shaft us.

2 hours ago, bennett said:

So you have BT in your bedsit?

Snazzy!!!

The ideal deal would be less games (No Friday night or Saturday lunch time please) with 1 or 2 games on a Sunday afternoon.

Go for quality but have some slots available for the second tier.

30 league games plus full coverage of the play offs . However I've a feeling the league structure , TV deal and league sponsorship may all come under one big deal. 

3 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

The ideal deal would be less games (No Friday night or Saturday lunch time please) with 1 or 2 games on a Sunday afternoon.

Sunday kick offs are fucking shite so no thank you. It also clashes with 'super sunday' which is going to detract some of the audience.

Friday night kick offs are great and is the best TV option IMO (in my opinion) Saturday lunch times are a decent second option.

1 minute ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

Sunday kick offs are fucking shite so no thank you. It also clashes with 'super sunday' which is going to detract some of the audience.

Friday night kick offs are great and is the best TV option IMO (in my opinion) Saturday lunch times are a decent second option.

We need to ignore Super Sunday and promote our own game.

Friday night games end up with smaller away supports or people having to take time off work.  

I can see the 3pm Saturday slot protection going in time if the English have their way. Then it could be a free for all. 

11 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

Go for quality but have some slots available for the second tier.

30 league games plus full coverage of the play offs . However I've a feeling the league structure , TV deal and league sponsorship may all come under one big deal. 

5 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I'm with Scotty. I fucking love a Friday night game. Sunday lunch times are pish. 

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm with Scotty. I fucking love a Friday night game. Sunday lunch times are pish. 

I end up feeling like it's an international weekend if we play on a Friday night. 

I'd stay away from Saturday or Sunday lunch time and if we are not tied to Sky have a 2pm or 3pm Sunday game to end the football weekend.

17 minutes ago, realmadrid said:

We need to ignore Super Sunday and promote our own game.

That sentiment is nice, but when it comes down to deciding between watching Super Sunday with the Sky hype machine pushing it, or a game from Scotland, which do you think a casual fan would tune in to?

Archived