New kits; 2023/24 Edition (bits and bobs from overseas)

Regardless of what the Saint Johnstone top will end up being, rest assured on one will have to walk around in salmon like my Singaporean club Hougang United do. Pinkish body with regular orange sleeves for the 2018 season, and no less than four cheetahs in their crest for good measure;

https://club25football.wordpress.com/2018/06/05/hougang-united-2018-home-shirt/

5b1915ce43cfd_whatsapp-image-2018-06-01-at-14-10-561.jpeg.ba722eff80602a545f8687ce65032715.jpeg

On 6/7/2018 at 11:32, Savage Henry said:

The BLK website is quite fun.  You can design your own monstrosities,

what a marvellous thing

i've just cum...

:wub:

hellas.thumb.jpg.38dea7ca380b601a5765344710c0388f.jpg

edit: that collar's awful - going to have to change it.....

Edited by Herman Hessian

I've been doing a bit of counting; if all EFL Championship clubs that haven't announced their shirt sponsors yet stick with the companies they had on their tops last year, 17 out of 24 clubs will have some form of bookmaker or betting site adorning their chests.

Hull City is one of them, but at least their new Umbro top is pure, pure sex. Love the new twist on the stripes, and the black sleeves work really well here (click to enlarge the pics);

drrr.thumb.jpg.860ecc036c423c80c092ade6b21f357c.jpgdrrr2.thumb.jpg.3617f41919f8033667d80b10672ccaf2.jpgdrrr3.thumb.jpg.1e9835eb60420720f076d9a374778d95.jpgdrrr4.thumb.jpg.3afba9af19758ddec4234969d9090ba5.jpg

I don't like the contemporized Terrier, but then I'm a hardass when it comes to (temporarily) replacing traditional crests anyway. Inferior effort to the Hull kit, which remains pure sex on the eyes.

Meanwhile, Under Armour had a gaffe and leaked the new home shirt for Southampton; where Umbro managed to include stripes on the back for both Hull and Huddersfield, the Saints will be playing with a solid red back. This is their third home shirt in partnership with Under Armour, and the third to utilize black as an accent colour. An okay effort, although broadening the right most stripe to accommodate the UA logo really doesn't make for a good look;

5b1b9e141fa47_DfNLFxcWAAAYXKs1.jpg.94b1663f5be0079996d9cd6cca323bb2.jpg5b1b9e1ea28fc_DfNLFxdW0AAG2bd1.jpg.a24c3403d50d7673efeddfdbbbf320e0.jpg

I don't like the contemporized Terrier, but then I'm a hardass when it comes to (temporarily) replacing traditional crests anyway. Inferior effort to the Hull kit, which remains pure sex on the eyes.
Meanwhile, Under Armour had a gaffe and leaked the new home shirt for Southampton; where Umbro managed to include stripes on the back for both Hull and Huddersfield, the Saints will be playing with a solid red back. This is their third home shirt in partnership with Under Armour, and the third to utilize black as an accent colour. An okay effort, although broadening the right most stripe to accommodate the UA logo really doesn't make for a good look;
5b1b9e141fa47_DfNLFxcWAAAYXKs1.jpg.94b1663f5be0079996d9cd6cca323bb2.jpg5b1b9e1ea28fc_DfNLFxdW0AAG2bd1.jpg.a24c3403d50d7673efeddfdbbbf320e0.jpg
that wider stripe for the UA logo completely ruins the look of the kit. very poor effort

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Gather round, young whippersnappers, 'ere's another kit lesson by ol' pappa Dutch;

Technical suppliers love money; so much so they'd love to introduce four home shirts a season (Borussia Dortmund did this some years ago). As this is obviously outlawed by reasonable FA's and critical fanbases, the Nikes, adidases, and Pumas of this world seek different ways to maximize income off their client teams. One of the most common tricks in their playbook is to do so by introducing a continuity-breaking home shirt.

With continuity-breaking, I mean a shirt that tends to look nothing like anything a team's worn before in living memory, yet sticks to traditional colours. This practice achieves what any commercial football shirt needs to achieve, namely rendering the replicas of the previous years obsolete so that fans won't be tempted to skip the overpriced new shirt. After all, if you change very, very little between years, punters can still show up to the stadium in last season's top. This is why, in just this thread, we've seen West Ham drop their blue sleeves, Chelsea show up with red and white flashes across their shirt, and Hibs slap every shade of green they could onto their new strip.

Sometimes, though, clubs go waaaaay overboard with this to ensure you really can't go back to previous shirts; a prime case of that presents itself today with Watford taking the pish out of their fans with a yellow 'n black striped top. At first glance this isn't such a strange design choice, as Watford go by the nickname Hornets anyway, but then you look to their past and realize they haven't ever worn black stripes with yellow. It's like Man United deciding to play in red and white stripes or Southampton in full red (they did this a few seasons back).

There's a second, cynical advantage to continuity-breaking, however, one with a payoff that comes one season later; any new design will have its critics (case in point, me typing all this out) and beg and moan for a return to tradition. So, when the season is over, adidas could trot out another plain yellow shirt in this case and win plaudits for listening to the fans, as well as build hype for a return to tradition whilst again rendering the old shirt obsolete (because if you return to plain yellow, what fan will turn up in the stripes still?). It's a terrible cycle of consumption and corporate trickery, but it does bring money in the till. I can forgive this type of behaviour when it comes to anniversary kits, but in this case it's wholly unexcusable.

tl;dr corporate pish

The shirt itself is okay, but I see Vitesse, Harrogate Town, and Beitar Trump Jeruzalem in this before I see Watford. Crest is nicely lined up alongside the stripes, and it's nice to see the sponsor fit into the club's usual colour palette. 1.5/10 For the effort.5b1e750b5aef8_DfaHP8MXcAApqmG1.thumb.jpg.f71f77426d85ee04adadd944a4d9be3e.jpg

Was just coming on to post that, but you were far more eloquent than I would have been.

Basically, WTF?  I'd knock your 1.5/10 off for not having stripes on the back.

Still I suppose it'll excuse them for wearing their away kit at Newcastle and Bournemouth next season.

43 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:

Was just coming on to post that, but you were far more eloquent than I would have been.

Basically, WTF?  I'd knock your 1.5/10 off for not having stripes on the back.

Still I suppose it'll excuse them for wearing their away kit at Newcastle and Bournemouth next season.

Biggest surprise being that the fans actually seem to like it.

In non-league news, tamworth have been stuck with the Macron tartan template that has been worn by everyone and their nan by now;

5b1e82d5c2c48_DfalNfoWsAAgcit1.thumb.jpg.72ae8f03c70eacd60bf1b6419b754674.jpg

1 hour ago, DutchBorderer said:

Gather round, young whippersnappers, 'ere's another kit lesson by ol' pappa Dutch;

Technical suppliers love money; so much so they'd love to introduce four home shirts a season (Borussia Dortmund did this some years ago). As this is obviously outlawed by reasonable FA's and critical fanbases, the Nikes, adidases, and Pumas of this world seek different ways to maximize income off their client teams. One of the most common tricks in their playbook is to do so by introducing a continuity-breaking home shirt.

With continuity-breaking, I mean a shirt that tends to look nothing like anything a team's worn before in living memory, yet sticks to traditional colours. This practice achieves what any commercial football shirt needs to achieve, namely rendering the replicas of the previous years obsolete so that fans won't be tempted to skip the overpriced new shirt. After all, if you change very, very little between years, punters can still show up to the stadium in last season's top. This is why, in just this thread, we've seen West Ham drop their blue sleeves, Chelsea show up with red and white flashes across their shirt, and Hibs slap every shade of green they could onto their new strip.

Sometimes, though, clubs go waaaaay overboard with this to ensure you really can't go back to previous shirts; a prime case of that presents itself today with Watford taking the pish out of their fans with a yellow 'n black striped top. At first glance this isn't such a strange design choice, as Watford go by the nickname Hornets anyway, but then you look to their past and realize they haven't ever worn black stripes with yellow. It's like Man United deciding to play in red and white stripes or Southampton in full red (they did this a few seasons back).

There's a second, cynical advantage to continuity-breaking, however, one with a payoff that comes one season later; any new design will have its critics (case in point, me typing all this out) and beg and moan for a return to tradition. So, when the season is over, adidas could trot out another plain yellow shirt in this case and win plaudits for listening to the fans, as well as build hype for a return to tradition whilst again rendering the old shirt obsolete (because if you return to plain yellow, what fan will turn up in the stripes still?). It's a terrible cycle of consumption and corporate trickery, but it does bring money in the till. I can forgive this type of behaviour when it comes to anniversary kits, but in this case it's wholly unexcusable.

tl;dr corporate pish

The shirt itself is okay, but I see Vitesse, Harrogate Town, and Beitar Trump Jeruzalem in this before I see Watford. Crest is nicely lined up alongside the stripes, and it's nice to see the sponsor fit into the club's usual colour palette. 1.5/10 For the effort.5b1e750b5aef8_DfaHP8MXcAApqmG1.thumb.jpg.f71f77426d85ee04adadd944a4d9be3e.jpg

That's an absolute cracker.  Reminiscent of the the WBA kit that all their fans hated, but was actually a modern classic.  Adidas do stripes well, usually.

7 minutes ago, DutchBorderer said:

In non-league news, tamworth have been stuck with the Macron tartan template that has been worn by everyone and their nan by now;

So close to really pulling that off.  The Ross County away kit is a nicer version of what that should have been, unless they really need the white in their kit.

Really hope Aberdeen ditch Adidas when the contract is up and go back with umbro, some of my favourite Dons kits were the umbro 90's ones

Sent from my E5823 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

Aberdeen kits of late have been really decent, the new one is a belter tbf. That said, so much love for Umbro. Saints had an Umbro kit back in the day with diamonds down the sleeves. One can only dream of a kit like that these days.

I can see why their fans like it as a shirt, just not as a Watford kit. My first thought was that it looks almost exactly like an old Fenerbache Jersey (when they had very dark blue which was a bit darker than their traditional navy).

Sent from my SM-G950F using Pie and Bovril mobile app