Girth

Anyone been?

Going there next week for a few days as I have a break in-between jobs.

Any recommendations? Anywhere to avoid etc.?

Ideally looking for punk stuff, museums, history, decent food and drink.

The Old Town is cool to wander around. Rebuilt after the war from scratch IIRC.

The Palace of Science & Culture is impressive in that very Soviet-era way from the outside, but the views aren't anything special from the top. 

3 hours ago, Girth said:

Anyone been?

Going there next week for a few days as I have a break in-between jobs.

Any recommendations? Anywhere to avoid etc.?

Ideally looking for punk stuff, museums, history, decent food and drink.

I was only there for a few hours between planes which I mainly spent trying (and failing) to find this place which was recommended as a bit punk/alternative.

http://www.spottedbylocals.com/warsaw/pawilony/

The War Museum is highly rated. I found the "Old" Town a bit underwhelming, maybe it was the wrong time of the year, just groups of tourists walking around in circles.

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I was only there for a few hours between planes which I mainly spent trying (and failing) to find this place which was recommended as a bit punk/alternative.

http://www.spottedbylocals.com/warsaw/pawilony/

The War Museum is highly rated. I found the "Old" Town a bit underwhelming, maybe it was the wrong time of the year, just groups of tourists walking around in circles.

That is exactly what I was about to recommend.

The Nowy Swiat Pavilions is a slightly run down shanty town of punky counterculture bars. They are tucked away at the bottom of Novy Swiat street.

If you can find this artificial palm tree you are almost there...

artificial-palm-tree-in-the-middle-of-th

The bars are through an alleyway just on the right at the very bottom of the street as you walk away from the palm tree towards the old town.

Aside from that the Warsaw uprising museum is well worth a visit. It's quite possibly the best military history museum i have been to.

Pilsudski square just behind the start of the old town (next to the Sofitel) is also good to see as they have their tomb of the unknown soldier which is guarded 24/7, they change the guard around 12pm I think and it's another wee bit of "culyur".

As previously mentioned Nowy swiat and Swietokrzyska areas are good for Bars and Restaurants, there's also a few small but interesting Clubs scattered around with various types of music but the bottom line is that the people are friendly, the prices for food and drink are dirt cheap, the level of service is great and generally Warsaw and Poland is a great destination.

Enjoy !!

If you have a day free and you've done the stuff you want to in Warsaw, I'd consider a day trip to Gdansk. There's a fast train, 2 hrs 40 mins, and it's a great place for sitting drinking by the river. The Solidarnosc Museum is worth a visit too.

Its a fantastic place - people very friendly - old town amazing. Go on a couple of the "free" walking tours where you chuck in a couple of quid or whatever at the end. Bars fantasti. Go to the main stadium wlaking distance from old town and have the tour - oh and think the most you will pay for a beer is about 12 zloty (roughly £2.50)but thats if you want to drink in the expensive bars !!!

The 'herring and vodka'  option on a Polish lunch menu consists not of herring in some sort of vaguely vodka spiked dressing but rather herring, the standard pickled accompaniments of eastern Europe and bread with a large shot of vodka on the side.  I'd thoroughly recommend it but it's a setup worth knowing a bout before you order.

Was just there over the weekend. Not much to add to what's been said above.

Assuming it's sunny, get yourself down to the river and have a couple of pints in the sun. Aim for approximately in line with the national stadium but the other side and you'll have a few good options. Would echo the praise for the old town as well. Hala Koszyki is quite cool for a drink, it's like an old food market. 

It was my second trip and I much preferred it this time around with the good weather. Decent place.

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...