Morton v ICT

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Not too optimistic for this last game, we will run out of puff at some point.

I just think the amount of games over the last couple of weeks will tell and a heavy footed performance is incoming.

Hope not.

FAO Morton fans, will Baird be signing for you next season and would you be happy if he did?

Duffy loves signing strikers that don’t score many goals so probably. I won’t be happy if we do. 

3 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Baird was stripped and ready to come on at 0-0. We scored. Duffy proceeded with the sub instead of being tactically astute and telling him to sit the f**k down.

You don't know why the substitution went ahead any more than I do. Might have been injury or tiredness, might have been an attempt to be tactically astute and waste time and wind down the clock, we can only speculate. We all have 20-20 vision in hindsight but we'll never know if that decision cost us 2 points or not. Suits your agenda of course to say it's 100% Duffy's fault, but he wasn't on the pitch. 11 players were and Duffy subbing one for another shouldn't have had much impact on the last minute or so of stoppage time. Like I said, I doubt Baird even got a touch of the ball after he came on and we'll never know if Murdoch would've in that last minute had he stayed on. Shit can happen, and it did.

This isn't a defence of Duffy as I'm as pissed off as anyone else about what's happened since that game, but it's way too simplistic to blame him 100% for that equaliser.

I was just looking to see who Duffy signed, and it really is hard to imagine how we ended up with the relegation squad. An utterly bizarre collection of no-marks, shitebags and wasters.

5ae20a7ebeac2_ScreenShot2018-04-26at19_20_08.thumb.png.577af4fc7214f6457444697bc8042d0f.png

24 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

You don't know why the substitution went ahead any more than I do. Might have been injury or tiredness, might have been an attempt to be tactically astute and waste time and wind down the clock, we can only speculate. We all have 20-20 vision in hindsight but we'll never know if that decision cost us 2 points or not. Suits your agenda of course to say it's 100% Duffy's fault, but he wasn't on the pitch. 11 players were and Duffy subbing one for another shouldn't have had much impact on the last minute or so of stoppage time. Like I said, I doubt Baird even got a touch of the ball after he came on and we'll never know if Murdoch would've in that last minute had he stayed on. Shit can happen, and it did.

This isn't a defence of Duffy as I'm as pissed off as anyone else about what's happened since that game, but it's way too simplistic to blame him 100% for that equaliser.

It's way to simplistic to also take this one moment in isolation. Some of us are using the events demonstrated throughout the season to constructively assess important moments.

You forget that this match came just 3 days after a match in which we were 3-0 down away to Falkirk inside 30 minutes and Duffy refused to make any substitutions because 'there was no point, the players that got us into that position should have to get us out of it.' That worked well. His assessment that substitutions wouldn't have made an impact failed miserably and so we moved onto the next substitution situation in question.

The decision to sub a midfielder for a striker was the correct decision, with 3 minutes plus stoppage time of 5 minutes to go, at 0-0, and searching for a goal. At 0-1, scoring when the sub was ready to come on as happens at games all the time, it's pretty common that the substitution is temporarily delayed while they assess if it's the right thing to do at 0-1 with 2 minutes to go plus injury time. Substituting a midfielder for a striker in this situation is not the right thing to do, and in many cases the manager would have either cancelled the substitution or changed what substitution was being made (defensive player for a striker if the aim is to contain, striker for striker if the aim is to just waste time with minimal impact). It wasn't 'the last minute or so of stoppage time'. Baird was on the field for at least 5 minutes.

You say we'll never know if Murdoch staying on would have had any impact, missing the fact that the goal came from a Livingston player running at our defence in the area where Murdoch's role would have been to close him down.

It was preposterous to carry on with such a substitution based on the situation changing with us scoring. The fact we lost an equaliser might have had a degree of bad luck, but Duffy brought all the flack he received for it on himself with such foolish decision making (or lack of actual decision making based on the situation changing).

I always find the demise(?) of Archie Campbell an odd one; a player who, on his day, looked a competent player in a Premiership chasing-team, has suddenly ended up struggling to break into the starting XI in the East of Scotland League.

The Rae's have never and never will be prepared to take Morton into the premier even if we had Pep in charge the sooner the fans except that and try and do something about this the better.

15 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

It's way to simplistic to also take this one moment in isolation. Some of us are using the events demonstrated throughout the season to constructively assess important moments.

You forget that this match came just 3 days after a match in which we were 3-0 down away to Falkirk inside 30 minutes and Duffy refused to make any substitutions because 'there was no point, the players that got us into that position should have to get us out of it.' That worked well. His assessment that substitutions wouldn't have made an impact failed miserably and so we moved onto the next substitution situation in question.

The decision to sub a midfielder for a striker was the correct decision, with 3 minutes plus stoppage time of 5 minutes to go, at 0-0, and searching for a goal. At 0-1, scoring when the sub was ready to come on as happens at games all the time, it's pretty common that the substitution is temporarily delayed while they assess if it's the right thing to do at 0-1 with 2 minutes to go plus injury time. Substituting a midfielder for a striker in this situation is not the right thing to do, and in many cases the manager would have either cancelled the substitution or changed what substitution was being made (defensive player for a striker if the aim is to contain, striker for striker if the aim is to just waste time with minimal impact). It wasn't 'the last minute or so of stoppage time'. Baird was on the field for at least 5 minutes.

You say we'll never know if Murdoch staying on would have had any impact, missing the fact that the goal came from a Livingston player running at our defence in the area where Murdoch's role would have been to close him down.

It was preposterous to carry on with such a substitution based on the situation changing with us scoring. The fact we lost an equaliser might have had a degree of bad luck, but Duffy brought all the flack he received for it on himself with such foolish decision making (or lack of actual decision making based on the situation changing).

Thankx for clearing it up that you're being  constructive here, I wouldnt have known otherwise.......

Nae idea why you're bringing the Falkirk game into it. The only point I was making is that the eleven players on the pitch should have been capable of seeing the game out, but they weren't.  Duffy wasn't on the pitch; to blame him 100% for the goal necause of the substitution is just plain daft, end of.

13 hours ago, smpar said:

I always find the demise(?) of Archie Campbell an odd one; a player who, on his day, looked a competent player in a Premiership chasing-team, has suddenly ended up struggling to break into the starting XI in the East of Scotland League.

It's no coincidence that his best form came when partnering either Peter Weatherson or Peter MacDonald up front.

Archie's a proper poacher, and almost certainly a roaster, so seems like he really needed that support & experience alongside him.

On 26/04/2018 at 14:39, cornbeef said:

To all those calling for a new manager I ask... to what end ?

No one disputes that we have off-field problems going deeper than the manager. The suggestion that means changing the manager can achieve nothing is baseless. St Mirren over the last 18 months under Jack Ross, Kilmarnock under Steve Clarke, even Clyde under Danny Lennon are proof that one managerial appointment can transform a club and immediately improve things on the park regardless of what's going on off the pitch.

3 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Tam O’Ware playing his last game for us today. 

No surprise.

Tam MacManus saying that it's looking likely Duffy will be away at the end of the season. Not sure how much you can believe MacManus though. Is he normally on the ball?

Tam O’Ware - I’m leaving after this game.
Duffy - your not in the team, not even on the bench.

He must’ve picked up a knock or something, especially looking at the bench. Surely.

Archived