Falkirk vs Champions | Farewell Alex Smith

Better team by some distance in the first half. Second half even. Morgan missed the best chance of the game (well, another good save from Mutch) on about 85 mins, then Falkirk hit one in off the post a few minutes later.
Falkirk have beaten the champions twice in the last 3 games, but they look woeful, and if they think that those two victories against a Saints team who’d already won the league, and with 8 and 6 changes, mean they don’t have a massive amount of work to do next season, then they’ll struggle again.
Doubt Hartley is that daft though.

We’ve picked up nearly 40 points since Christmas but people still think we are woeful.
We ain’t great, but not that far short of St Mirren either tbh.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Think if Saints had played usual team in the last two games against Falkirk then it would have been nearly 34 tbh:blink:

We both agree today was a meaningless game. Both clubs played under strength teams today.
Saints deserve to win what has been a poor league this season. But 75 points in a league that includes easy points against Brechin and Dumbarton is good, but not great tbh.

2 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

We both agree today was a meaningless game. Both clubs played under strength teams today.
Saints deserve to win what has been a poor league this season. But 75 points in a league that includes easy points against Brechin and Dumbarton is good, but not great tbh.

Sons ended Saints home record  , Falkirk drew with Sons 3 times and even with Brechin , did you just "Whoosh" yourself?

Sons ended Saints home record  , Falkirk drew with Sons 3 times and even with Brechin , did you just "Whoosh" yourself?

I think you just whooshed yourself tbh.
I pointed out we ain’t great and we know that we were especially poor pre Xmas and even since we’ve improved I haven’t suggested that Saints are not still better than ourselves.
However Saints ain’t much better, and the fact that you lost to Sons pretty much backs up my point.

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

I think you just whooshed yourself tbh.
I pointed out we ain’t great and we know that we were especially poor pre Xmas and even since we’ve improved I haven’t suggested that Saints are not still better than ourselves.
However Saints ain’t much better, and the fact that you lost to Sons pretty much backs up my point.

No definitely you.

49 minutes ago, gav-ffc said:

I was out in the garden all afternoon and it was roasting, only 0.5 mile away.

47 minutes ago, keithgy said:

I was bloody freezing,decided not to take a jacket(bad mistake)

I'm sure that stadium was built on a Pictish burial ground or something, unnaturally cold. 

55 minutes ago, Sittìng on the fence said:

Think if Saints had played usual team in the last two games against Falkirk then it would have been nearly 34 tbh:blink:

Mind u as was said previously in the season opener we couldve had the game won after 20 mins and a draw was a fair result in the second game . Both those featured the worst falkirk lineups for many a year. Weve not been world beaters since xmas but pre xmas we were honking.

Jeez, it’s not that difficult. You just need to apply the  ‘1967 Scotland v England’ rule, and maybe extend it a bit. Here’s how it works...

St Mirren stormed the league beating all in their path and and were therefore the best team in the Championship. Respect due, and all that. From this point, St Mirren are effectively a Premiership team. (Don’t believe it? Just look how those play off games are described) . Today Falkirk beat  St Mirren and are therefore obviously the best Championship team, having beaten the winners of that league. And extending the 1967 rule, also remain unbeaten by Premiership teams too. So, until a Premiership team beat Falkirk, Falkirk are basically the best team in Scotland.

I think that’s how it works, isn’t it? 

20 minutes ago, Sputnik said:

Jeez, it’s not that difficult. You just need to apply the  ‘1967 Scotland v England’ rule, and maybe extend it a bit. Here’s how it works...

St Mirren stormed the league beating all in their path and and were therefore the best team in the Championship. Respect due, and all that. From this point, St Mirren are effectively a Premiership team. (Don’t believe it? Just look how those play off games are described) . Today Falkirk beat  St Mirren and are therefore obviously the best Championship team, having beaten the winners of that league. And extending the 1967 rule, also remain unbeaten by Premiership teams too. So, until a Premiership team beat Falkirk, Falkirk are basically the best team in Scotland.

Seems fair enough to me. Best wishes for the Champions League group stages. :thumsup2

Big shout out to the prank caller with the "Billy Abercrombie to the nearest steward" call.

Was expecting a stream of St's 87 cup winners to follow. #gutted.

Still wouldn't top the "Tupac Shakur please phone home" at Alloa though.

Aye, cos making things up is how this works.
No one said St Mirren did not deserve to win the league, nor did we say that Falkirk are better.
Both teams picked up similar points since Xmas so it stands to reason that whilst you do have the better team, the gap is not as large between the teams as you want to believe. Nor are you as good as the sides who won automatic promotion over the last few season. It’s been a poor league this season and the best of a poor lot have been deservedly crowned champions.
Sorry, these basic facts appear to wind you lot up so much.

6 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Big shout out to the prank caller with the "Billy Abercrombie to the nearest steward" call.

Saints fans did that same thing down at Somerset Park donkeys years ago. The stadium announcer just kept relaying them over the tannoy.... Would Tony Fitzpatrick please contact the nearest steward.... name after name. The game was up when he actually announced ‘Would Gudmunder Torfason please contact the nearest steward’. :)

13 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Abercrombie would've been too easy to find. Just check any bar in the hospitality suites.

3 hours ago, roman_bairn said:

We’ve picked up nearly 40 points since Christmas but people still think we are woeful.
We ain’t great, but not that far short of St Mirren either tbh.

Apparently Falkirk had the reserves out today, so the woeful tag is not deserved.

However at St Mirren Park less than two weeks ago I believed you had a strong team out, and against a Saints team who were still drunk and had made 8 (EIGHT) changes, you were indeed.... woeful.

Stats will show of course that you won both games, but if your management puts any weight on those results you could be in for a rubbish season next year too.

Archived