tv coverage of Scottish Cup

bendan

On 22/05/2018 at 02:33, craigkillie said:

It was my understanding that UEFA and the EPFL agreed a new MOU in September last year.

Only just spotted this. 

You’re right, there is a new MOU, but it only applies to “top division matches”. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/20/2018 at 03:58, ancientnoise said:

I'm looking forward to the day when Liam McLeod stops being the BBC's #1 commentator. 

I'd prefer to watch games without being shouted at by a spitting hyperbolist. 

Just before kick off in the Mexico v Scotland game Liam McLeod said;

"...and not to mention the altitude of 7,200 feet above sea level. And when you consider Everest's peak is only another 1,600 feet above this level, you can see why so many visiting teams have been left mounted on the wall here."

Um, Liam, Everest isn't 8,800 feet high. It's over 8,800 METRES high. It's 21,800 feet above Mexico City. This haufwit really thinks that Mexico City plus Bennachie equals Everest???

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b5yd35/sportscene-mexico-v-scotland

17 hours ago, GordonS said:

Just before kick off in the Mexico v Scotland game Liam McLeod said;

"...and not to mention the altitude of 7,200 feet above sea level. And when you consider Everest's peak is only another 1,600 feet above this level, you can see why so many visiting teams have been left mounted on the wall here."

Um, Liam, Everest isn't 8,800 feet high. It's over 8,800 METRES high. It's 21,800 feet above Mexico City. This haufwit really thinks that Mexico City plus Bennachie equals Everest???

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b5yd35/sportscene-mexico-v-scotland

I'd almost forgotten that. I honestly think we ought to try just broadcasting games with the noise from the stadium and nothing else. Anything necessary can be put in text on the screen.

• 1 month later...
On 16/07/2018 at 19:43, The Master said:

The first draw has been made for this season’s competition and still no word of a TV deal.

Ian Maxwell said he hoped to announce something in a month or so - that was more than a month ago. One of the tabloids reported that Sky were dropping coverage, but hard to believe at least the BBC would not be continuing. It's interesting, given Maxwell's suggestion that a deal was under discussion, that Eleven Sports have also said they have agreed other rights (in addition to Serie A and La Liga) but have not announced them yet. Can't see it, but stranger things have happened. You'd have thought if it was going to be BT or Sky it would have been announced by now.

Saw someone say that BT Sport might not want the Scottish Cup as it would interfere with their FA Cup coverage. However it looks as though none of the rounds clash, and the final is even on a different weekend this year (there goes the Scottish/English/German Cup couch potato treble).  BT certainly have space in their schedule with no Serie A coverage...

http://www.thefa.com/competitions/thefacup/more/fa-cup-round-dates

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/william-hill-scottish-cup-2018-19-dates-confirmed/?rid=14258

• 2 weeks later...

With the advancements in technology and the ease in ‘webcasting/broadcasting’ there’s no excuse for the bbc or whoever not to at least show early round games live through their website and smart tv’s.

All it takes is a camera or two, laptop and a reliable internet connection for a basic output with graphics and transitions. 

4 minutes ago, pipedreamer said:

With the advancements in technology and the ease in ‘webcasting/broadcasting’ there’s no excuse for the bbc or whoever not to at least show early round games live through their website and smart tv’s.

All it takes is a camera or two, laptop and a reliable internet connection for a basic output with graphics and transitions. 

Considering the BBC down south do it for the FA Cup there's no excuse that BBC Scotland can't do the same up here apart from them being too obsessed by the Old Firm. We really get short changed.

20 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Considering the BBC down south do it for the FA Cup there's no excuse that BBC Scotland can't do the same up here apart from them being too obsessed by the Old Firm. We really get short changed.

Absolutely.

The BBC are covering the Haverhill derby in the FA Cup on their website this weekend.  How many people knew Haverhill existed, let alone they have two sides playing in the FA Cup until now?

Surely there would be just as much, if not more interest in say Auchinleck Talbot v Banks O' Dee.

1 hour ago, NorthernLights said:

Absolutely.

The BBC are covering the Haverhill derby in the FA Cup on their website this weekend.  How many people knew Haverhill existed, let alone they have two sides playing in the FA Cup until now?

Surely there would be just as much, if not more interest in say Auchinleck Talbot v Banks O' Dee.

Not even an announcement that they actually have any rights to the tournament this year. Not sure what the problem is, but even if they are not covering it, the SFA and William Hill should arrange their own coverage in the manner suggested above. The oldest trophy in world football yet the first few rounds are completely off the radar.

1 hour ago, NorthernLights said:

Absolutely.

Not sure I agree. I support Talbot  and will be at the game but realistically how many people would watch  a stream of the game. I doubt it would get a four figures audience.

Its just not cost effective IMO

3 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Not sure I agree. I support Talbot  and will be at the game but realistically how many people would watch  a stream of the game. I doubt it would get a four figures audience.

It would be interesting to see how many stream Haverhill Rovers v Haverhill Borough.

15 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

How does one calculate cost effectiveness? Are any BBC Scotland games cost effective, given that there is no advertising?

1 minute ago, bendan said:

How does one calculate cost effectiveness? Are any BBC Scotland games cost effective, given that there is no advertising?

I get what you are saying and I know BBC Scotland should be a public service broadcaster but they also have a duty to spend licence fee money wisely. 

Later rounds of the Scottish Cup do have a wider appeal and I have no problem with them being broadcast but these preliminary round ties have very little interest  apart from the teams involved in them. 

Would you watch a stream of Talbot v Banks O' Dee for example

15 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

I get what you are saying and I know BBC Scotland should be a public service broadcaster but they also have a duty to spend licence fee money wisely. 

Later rounds of the Scottish Cup do have a wider appeal and I have no problem with them being broadcast but these preliminary round ties have very little interest  apart from the teams involved in them. 

Would you watch a stream of Talbot v Banks O' Dee for example

Well, I can see that showing a preliminary round game live might be a step too far, but I think as a public service broadcaster they should have some coverage of the early rounds. Live coverage on the red button or iplayer could start before Round 4. I probably would watch a game like Talbot v BoD - the only way to find out how many would do so would be to try it.

Get real folks. SFA's own website doesn't even have this weekend's games listed in the fixtures section (incredibly it actually says "There are currently no fixtures available").

There have been precisely 2 articles in the News section since last season's Final - announcing the 'Goal of the Tournament', and a feature about Tynecastle before last month's draws.

There has been no activity whatsoever on the Scottish Cup twitter page since the draws were made almost 1 month ago. Believe it or not the Facebook page is even worse.

From what I can see, the only way that someone would actually have established from the organisers that Tynecastle v Shortlees is now on Sunday is by drilling into the ref appointment lists.

If the governing body and sponsor don't care enough to even recognise the early rounds existence then, realistically, the broadcaster isn't going to.

Fair point. They are shocking. Something really is seriously wrong with the admin and marketing people at the SFA. They haven't even got a broadcaster yet for this year's competition, so of course there's no prospect of any coverage at all of early rounds as things stand.

13 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Get real folks. SFA's own website doesn't even have this weekend's games listed in the fixtures section (incredibly it actually says "There are currently no fixtures available").

There have been precisely 2 articles in the News section since last season's Final - announcing the 'Goal of the Tournament', and a feature about Tynecastle before last month's draws.

There has been no activity whatsoever on the Scottish Cup twitter page since the draws were made almost 1 month ago. Believe it or not the Facebook page is even worse.

From what I can see, the only way that someone would actually have established from the organisers that Tynecastle v Shortlees is now on Sunday is by drilling into the ref appointment lists.

If the governing body and sponsor don't care enough to even recognise the early rounds existence then, realistically, the broadcaster isn't going to.

They have awoken...

Archived