tv coverage of Scottish Cup

bendan

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have checked an i can see that the deal runs out at the end if this season for both Sky and the BBC.

There is however no news abiut any negitiations so i wouldnt ex0ect it until later thus year. The televised games will most likely start in 2019 so there is still plenty of time for the sfa to f**k it all up.

Sky will no doubt continue to get it. 

Program starts 10 minutes before kick-off, they'll cram in two sets of adverts the game starts and they'll end the show 10 minutes after kick-off to switch to live coverage of Day 62 of South Africa v West Indies in the Cricket.  If you want interviews with players/managers etc, tune in to Sky Sports News a few hours later.

It would be great if they could get a new deal which includes some sort of coverage (either full games or at least highlights) of the early rounds too - there's some great stories there which basically get completely ignored.  It's difficult to even get goalscorer information for some of the the 1st Round games.

Yes, the lack of interest in the early rounds is annoying. William Hill (or perhaps it's the SFA) put out some decent round ups on Youtube this season, but it would be nice to see our public service broadcaster showing more interest.

49 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Hopefully BT Sport pick up the rights to this,  SKY and their half hearted coverage and patronising attitude to Scottish football can get tae f**k.

I suspect BT will put a bid in to televise cup games. Might even go as far as to sponsor the competition as well so their advertisement target audience is made wider.

BBC Alba have lost their Friday night rugby and will be looking for cheap sports to fill the vacuum. I would like to see lower league football fill that slot, and definitely the early rounds of the cup are ripe for broadcasting.

We also have the new BBC Scotland channel broadcasting from later this year.

Tiny budgets for sport on both channels but they need content. You never know!

Yes, the new BBC channel would be an appropriate home for more extensive coverage of Scottish sport, but I won't be surprised if they just end up repeating Sortscene later in the week.

Used to love the Scottish Cup Final build up on BBC when I was a kid.

Used to start late morning I'm sure, had camera's at team hotel, showed pipe band on the centre circle etc.

First one I can really remember watching was the Aberdeen-Celtic final in 1990 that went to pens.

Coverage of the earlier rounds could be good. Something like BBC Alba showing 1 tie from R1-R3. After all they show shinty and the Junior Cup Final (though possibly that's subsidised IIRC).

However most important IMO is retaining games on BBC. It's getting to the stage where youngsters will never see football on TV unless their household has a satellite sports package.

On 4/23/2018 at 10:29, craigkillie said:

It would be great if they could get a new deal which includes some sort of coverage (either full games or at least highlights) of the early rounds too - there's some great stories there which basically get completely ignored.  It's difficult to even get goalscorer information for some of the the 1st Round games.

All the results, scorers, teams, substitutions etc from every cup tie is on the SFA website - https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish-cup/fixtures-results/

Also every goal (from Round One) onwards is in the Scottish Cup YouTube channel.

Obviously not quite the same as TV coverage but I think the SFA do a pretty good job of covering the earlier rounds in lieu of that.

That's a fairly new innovation too - that has only happened since the new website was introduced earlier this season.  There are still games from previous (recent) seasons where I haven't been able to get full starting line-ups.  And the highlights are great, and getting better, but still don't have commentary or any sort of graphics.  The SFA are more or less doing what they can, but it would be great for someone external to pick it up.

• 4 weeks later...
Used to love the Scottish Cup Final build up on BBC when I was a kid.
Used to start late morning I'm sure, had camera's at team hotel, showed pipe band on the centre circle etc.
First one I can really remember watching was the Aberdeen-Celtic final in 1990 that went to pens.

Absolutely, as a 12 year old Dundee United supporter living in Shitsville, Aberdeenshire I remember absolutely lapping up the hours of build up to the ‘91 final.

21 minutes ago, Broomhill Ultra said:

I’ve still got no idea what that shit was but boy do the weegies like to talk about it.

Everybody who grew up in the Grampian TV region just stares blankly at them when they start going on about it.

Adverts for Codona's Carnival and Telly On The Blink, 123 Tomnahurich Street, Inverness, now you're talking.

Archived