Montrose V Elgin

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well done Montrose.  Just shows you don't need to throw money at the team to do well in this league, just clear, sensible management.

And players who get what the manager wants, and carry it through

An extremely nervy ninety minutes. Any hope that Elgin would turn up in their flip flops and beachwear was quickly dispelled.

The first half was a strange, cagey, nerve-laden affair. Montrose had chances but they were of the half variety. The one clear effort we had on goal was when a fifteen yard drive from Milne (?) was brilliantly saved by the Elgin goalkeeper, who deflected what seemed a certain goal out for a corner with the bottom part of his right bicep. Outstanding reaction stop. Alan "The Seagull" Fleming had a couple of smart blocks to make at the other end, too.

Elgin were the kind of nuggety, hard-working, tough tackling side that is a nightmare for anyone chasing desperate points to face. They defended as though they were all facing imminent execution by firing squad at the full time whistle, if they had lost. Worse for us, they played us at our own game and won, in the first half. Defending in numbers and absorbing Montrose pressure like a white roll absorbs bacon grease, they also became more confident on the break as the half wore on. They nudged ahead of us in midfield and forced a few errors. Montrose sat far too deep, and their passing under pressure became ragged and uncharacteristically error-strewn.

Worse was to come just before half time. Elgin won a soft-ish free kick on the edge of our box, just to the right of the dee facing the goals. Shane Sutherland, who has scored against us more times than i care to remember, curled a quite beautiful free kick around and over the Montrose wall, and beyond Fleming's stretching right palm, into the top right hand corner of the net; 1-0, and there wasn't even time for the game to kick off again. Had it been a less serious matter I'd have applauded the skill and execution. At the time, it felt like a knife in the guts.

At this stage it looked as though the home team had every intention of evacuating their bowels in the championship bed. Half time was a bleak affair and more than one Dynamo regular voiced the opinion that they felt Montrose would blow it on the day.

However, before the engraver could begin carving the name of the Fishy Jailers on the coveted League Two chamberpot, Montrose emerged in the second half looking like the team that has dominated the league in the last few weeks. A combination of an injury to Lewis Milne just before half time- looked like a sprained ankle- and  the late Sutherland goal had a galvanising effect. The second half was largely all Montrose, playing towards the Dynamo. The Elgin keeper was in inspired form (if we are charitable and overlook his genuinely diabolical kicking- the worst I've seen this season from a senior keeper). He blocked and caught with stomach churning efficiency. But he was powerless just after the fifty minute mark. A surging Montrose attack down the Elgin right featuring Steeves, and the tireless Rennie, broke down in chaos in the City box. Twelve yards out, the ball fell to Jamie Redman who rifled the ball home past a wrong footed keeper and prostrate defenders. 1-1, and genuine bedlam around the park not seen since Garry Wood's piledriver three years ago, that preserved our league status.

Somehow after that, everything calmed down. Montrose kept pressing but Elgin defended really, really well and restricted our room for maneouvre and shooting opportunities. Elgin had a few half efforts after that but nothing that seriously troubled the Seagull in the Montrose goal.

After that it was all a bit of a blur. There was a roar of celebration as Edinburgh equalised late at Balmoor. Montrose worked extremely hard to press Elgin to the very end, keeping the ball in their half as much as possible; they had turned the table on the hard working visitors. Somehow Peterhead's late winner didn't appear to matter. The final whistle went, and the crowd of nearly 2,400 went berserk. Being on the park with old friends and thinking back to bleaker times; humpings at Ochilview; Ian Diack standing on the small Dynamo wall as Stenny went 3-0 up; shipping five goals at home to the likes of Dumbarton; leading Stranraer 4-2 with fifteen minutes to go, and losing 4-5;  meaningless ends of seasons trying to finish in seventh instead of eighth, standing sullenly and mutely as Hamilton, Morton. Stirling, and the "Livingston" Franchise all celebrated their sides' title wins at Links Park; the bleak years of the late nighties and early 2000s when managers were obliged to compose squads full of players who hadn't been signed by anyone else.

This is such a different Montrose now, and much credit must be given to the chairman, the re-shaped board and the work of the Links Park Community Trust behind the scenes. In the old days Montrose was little more than fifteen semi-pros, the badge and the league membership, living from month to month. Now we are a club embedded in the local community, back owning our ground, with a manager and a first team that everyone can be proud of. A day like this was impossible to imagine even three years ago. Now it's a reality. And, somehow I have a feeling there will be many more days like this to come in the seasons ahead. 

Next year we'll be in League One. I can't wait for the new season to begin already. It's such a wonderful feeling -for once- to have ended up at the top of the tree. This under-rated squad, much greater than the sum of its parts, has ensured instant legend status for itself. It was genuinely touching to see so many old Montrose players in the crowd urging their successors on to glory.

I've never been prouder of my club than tonight. And, to be honest, more seasons than not, I've doubted that I'd see a day like this. But, here it is.

#champions #wearethemo #goingup #seeyounextseason

We just don't do easy do we? But, we did it and as I said in an earlier post Elgin would not come to LP and just lie down - they certainly did not. I think Gavin Price is on the right lines there but today was Montrose's day. Yes it was a nervy day and not the usual fluent stuff we saw at Stenny and Stirling before that but frankly we have in my opinion struggled more at home than away. We need a couple of months break now to recover and re-build for next season. Who knows how the oncoming squad will be re-shaped but re-shaped it must be as some of the older players and some fringe players will depart. SP will start doing that straight away I'm sure but I only hope he is indeed still at LP to do the job as his street-cred must be high right now. 

Personally I'm already looking and thinking about next season already with different places to go for a change but tonight I'll just enjoy the feeling because it's been a long time coming and days like today have not come along often in my 60+ years of supporting the Mo through thin and thin, and thin. Put the kettle on luv I'm not going to bed for a while yet.

Rain it in mate, make a full week of it. You lot deserve it. Enjoy League 1, hope we'll be joining you!

What a day man, I think there's gonna be a lot of well deserved sore heads in the morning. Personally hope Peterhead come up but I wouldn't be upset to see you boys come up.

What a day man, I think there's gonna be a lot of well deserved sore heads in the morning. Personally hope Peterhead come up but I wouldn't be upset to see you boys come up.

Hope you lot have sore heads for a week. f**k them, Stirlings a better away day [emoji41]

What a day absolute shat myself first half!!!still pissed but f**k me how good was Martin Rennie yesterday!!!

This is basically word for word what I was coming to post.

As soon as you proper shagged us 5-0 at Forthbank i knew you weren't losing the title.

On paper Peterhead, Stenny and ourselves had better squads. But a brilliant manager and togetherness won you the title. I'm generally chuffed for you all, decades of utter shite. Hopefully Montrose - Stirling Albion will be a League 1 fixture next season.

4 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Any highlights from this game? Not sure if Montrose had someone filming but Elgin City are usually really good at getting good quality footage up... 

Yes there will be soon. Plenty of filming going on until nearly 6.30pm!

1 hour ago, JakeSAFC said:

As soon as you proper shagged us 5-0 at Forthbank i knew you weren't losing the title.

On paper Peterhead, Stenny and ourselves had better squads. But a brilliant manager and togetherness won you the title. I'm generally chuffed for you all, decades of utter shite. Hopefully Montrose - Stirling Albion will be a League 1 fixture next season.

Cheers mate.

From a purely selfish point of view I hope Stirling come up.

It's easy to get to on the train and there are good pubs in the town centre.

Any highlights from this game? Not sure if Montrose had someone filming but Elgin City are usually really good at getting good quality footage up... 

As far as I know the guy who does the filming was going down earlier and staying later to film some pre and post match stuff so it will take a bit longer to get the editing done but there will be highlights.

Good highlights.
I hope Sanny enjoys his retirement from football. No too was about it that he was a major part of this year's success. Rennie funnily enough looks he might be a direct replacement. Got stronger throughout the season and his game improved throughout.

Archived