Annan Athletic summer 2018

Good to see Peter Murphy is already securing players for next season, I’m sure he’ll want to keep at least a few from this seasons squad and Aidan Smiths certainly a good place to start.

We used to wait ages for any news from Chapman so it’s good to get some early news from Galabank!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to see the majority off the players signed for next season.
It would be good if we could get a couple of experienced players signed to help out the younger players.
I think most supporters were disappointed that Murphy didn’t play more games this season.

I would like to see the majority off the players signed for next season.
It would be good if we could get a couple of experienced players signed to help out the younger players.
I think most supporters were disappointed that Murphy didn’t play more games this season.

I am one of them, but let’s hope a season on the sidelines concentrating on his managerial role will stand him in good stead for next season.

I have to say that I would like to see most of the squad kept as on their day they are as good as anyone - as the recent 4-1 thrashing if Elgin demonstrated. We do need some journeymen players in though to steady the ship. The team would definitely benefit from a good experienced midfield general, and a proven striker to play alongside Aiden. Henderson was never going to cut it and we can't afford passengers. Look forward to developments. Mon the Annan.

So the club have so far announced 6 of the current squad that are staying. I’m sure the manager said in his speech he has seven signed so must be due another announcement. I’m hoping Swinglehurst, Sinnamon and Roberts all stay, and the young lad Sonkur has done well in the few games he’s had a chance.

Guest Landan Spiv
On 26/04/2018 at 21:07, annanbear said:

Heard that henderson has signed with edinburgh city for next season.

What was he like for you this season? I've seen him play a couple of times in the past and didn't look much but always seems to score goals in league 2.

To be fair a move to us makes sense for him as he is Edinburgh/borders based I'm led to believe.

Hes an affordable gamble for City in my opinion 

What was he like for you this season? I've seen him play a couple of times in the past and didn't look much but always seems to score goals in league 2.

Ok, it wasn’t this season, but during his season and a bit at Stirling, I found him to be one of the most frustrating players that I have witnessed in Scottish Football.

He does score scores, when he can be bothered I suppose. Take away his 1 good season at Berwick, he’s not a regular scorer then take away his penalties and you have someone who isn’t regular at all.

He seems to have this knack of not scoring for months, then pops up with 2 (or as we saw last week 3) in a game, then doesn’t score again. He moves slower than the HMS Queen Elizabeth, is dire in the air and hardly bothers his backside when his link up let’s him down.

Who knows what sort of wage he is on, he was rumoured to have cost us 5k from Berwick and would only sign if it was a 2 year deal, so o would of guessed that he was one of our top earners but who really knows what players gets these days?

Despite what he said in the press last week, he received a lot of support during his time at Forthbank but flattered to deceive. I’m really surprised that he has managed to get another gig at League 2 level but for the sake of Edinburgh City, I hope you can find the player that Berwick has because Annan and ourselves failed to find him.

1 hour ago, BB_Bino said:

Ok, it wasn’t this season, but during his season and a bit at Stirling, I found him to be one of the most frustrating players that I have witnessed in Scottish Football.

He does score scores, when he can be bothered I suppose. Take away his 1 good season at Berwick, he’s not a regular scorer then take away his penalties and you have someone who isn’t regular at all.

He seems to have this knack of not scoring for months, then pops up with 2 (or as we saw last week 3) in a game, then doesn’t score again. He moves slower than the HMS Queen Elizabeth, is dire in the air and hardly bothers his backside when his link up let’s him down.

Who knows what sort of wage he is on, he was rumoured to have cost us 5k from Berwick and would only sign if it was a 2 year deal, so o would of guessed that he was one of our top earners but who really knows what players gets these days?

Despite what he said in the press last week, he received a lot of support during his time at Forthbank but flattered to deceive. I’m really surprised that he has managed to get another gig at League 2 level but for the sake of Edinburgh City, I hope you can find the player that Berwick has because Annan and ourselves failed to find him.

Echo your comments re Henderson a frustrating player who after a bright start in the League Cup at home versus Elgin when he scored a hatrick, just simply failed to deliver on that opening promise. It was no surprise that he mentioned in an newspaper article that he did not like the Stirling fans during his time with us and you cannot blame the fans for having a go at him during his time with us. Not surprised Annan let him go and as a previous poster says "he`s an affordable gamble for City"  Just hope City can get the best out of him as I think next stop will be the Lowland League playing for Gala or Selkirk. 

Stirling fans really need to let it go about Hendo. You're shit supporters and rather than backing an out of form player you got on his back. He's since gone on to have a decent season for Annan. He'll guarantee 15 a season, much as he's done this year - the BBC make it an average of one in less than every 2 games. A good signing that yer da types won't like because he doesn't 'run enough'.

1 hour ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Stirling fans really need to let it go about Hendo. You're shit supporters and rather than backing an out of form player you got on his back. He's since gone on to have a decent season for Annan. He'll guarantee 15 a season, much as he's done this year - the BBC make it an average of one in less than every 2 games. A good signing that yer da types won't like because he doesn't 'run enough'.

We did let it go when we punted him and it looks like Annan have decided the same despite his decent season at the Club. Enough said from a Berwick Supporter who when he was with Berwick, seem to recall your fans giving him dogs abuse on here. 

We did let it go when we punted him and it looks like Annan have decided the same despite his decent season at the Club. Enough said from a Berwick Supporter who when he was with Berwick, seem to recall your fans giving him dogs abuse on here. 
Aye, ok. Stalking threads and furiously bashing your keyboard wherever he's mentioned, but you've definitely let it go.

15 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

sounds like the sort of player City signed last summer...  :rolleyes:

An important point well put Athletic 1. Could it be that, because of his size, he has been asked to play a role that is not beat suited to him. He is in fact a very good “sniffer” in front of goal and can snap up a half chance very well. Five goal in the last two games for Annan speaks volumes.

Three top scorer awards in last three seasons! Not his biggest fan but 55 goals in 110 games at this level is pretty decent for someone who isn’t a “regular scorer”

Valid point Athletic1, but can I just point out that in my original post I said that if you take away the good season at Berwick and the number of penalties that he he has scored over the years, then he’s not really a “regular scorer”.

Ok, I get that Annan fans are going to try and defend him and fans of his previous clubs are going to be critical of him, that’s football. If Annan are happy to keep him or Edinburgh want to sign him then well done to Blair. Football is all about opinions and my opinion is there are better options out there than Blair Henderson for both clubs.

Going by his Twitter account last night and his comments in the paper last week, he’s obviously just happy doing what he is doing picking up a good pay packet doing it, I think that says more about his attitude than anything else, but is happiness not what we are all searching for in life?

Valid point Athletic1, but can I just point out that in my original post I said that if you take away the good season at Berwick and the number of penalties that he he has scored over the years, then he’s not really a “regular scorer”.

What's next you going to take away the goals he scored from inside the box? His record at Stirling was poor but scoring 23 for Berwick and 16 for Annan is a decent return regardless of how he scored them.

Ok, I get that Annan fans are going to try and defend him and fans of his previous clubs are going to be critical of him, that’s football. If Annan are happy to keep him or Edinburgh want to sign him then well done to Blair. Football is all about opinions and my opinion is there are better options out there than Blair Henderson for both clubs.

Going by his Twitter account last night and his comments in the paper last week, he’s obviously just happy doing what he is doing picking up a good pay packet doing it, I think that says more about his attitude than anything else, but is happiness not what we are all searching for in life?
You're actually thick as f**k [emoji38] But, but, but the penalties!!! There are probably 3 players that can boast a similar scoring record at this level. He's won 3 top scorer awards in 3 seasons. You're trying to claim he isn't a regular scorer.

Out of interest, what is it you actually want him to be doing in addition to scoring every 2nd week and being happy collecting the wages he's earnt?

Archived