Sign in to follow this  
south fan 5

Who wins the league?

Bit of an irony about the fact that Threave's top scorer is from Lockerbie and played for Mids in pre-season before Threave come calling for him. Good Luck to Mids on Monday night against the mighty Threave. 

Bit of an irony about the fact that Threave's top scorer is from Lockerbie and played for Mids in pre-season before Threave come calling for him. Good Luck to Mids on Monday night against the mighty Threave. 

Money talks I’d say ££££

Going along to this one tonight as a neutral and hoping for a cracker. Was at Mids against Lochar recently and Mids were all over them. I think this one will be a bit closer.

Does anyone know if Threave win the league whether they intend to take the step up to the Lowland league or not? Hopefully they will as it would be good to see another team from the region in it, assuming Dalbeattie will be safe from relegation (fingers crossed).

7 hours ago, evh78 said:

Going along to this one tonight as a neutral and hoping for a cracker. Was at Mids against Lochar recently and Mids were all over them. I think this one will be a bit closer.

Does anyone know if Threave win the league whether they intend to take the step up to the Lowland league or not? Hopefully they will as it would be good to see another team from the region in it, assuming Dalbeattie will be safe from relegation (fingers crossed).

I’m fairly certain they would take it and would like to go up, but sadly for them I just don’t see it happening. 

Rumours emanating elsewhere tonight seem to suggest that Lothian are set to get their club license in time.

I know Threave beat Kelty in a cup earlier in the season but I just think when it really matters, either Kelty or Lothian will play a completely different level of football to Threave when they playoff. 

10 hours ago, Bundesliga Boy said:

I’m fairly certain they would take it and would like to go up, but sadly for them I just don’t see it happening. 

Rumours emanating elsewhere tonight seem to suggest that Lothian are set to get their club license in time.

I know Threave beat Kelty in a cup earlier in the season but I just think when it really matters, either Kelty or Lothian will play a completely different level of football to Threave when they playoff. 

As far as I understand, LTHV needed to have their license in place by 31st March to be eligble for promotion to the Lowland League. It wouldn't, however, surprise me if goalposts were moved slightly.

3 hours ago, Deeside Dynamo said:

As far as I understand, LTHV needed to have their license in place by 31st March to be eligble for promotion to the Lowland League. It wouldn't, however, surprise me if goalposts were moved slightly.

I believe that two clubs put their bid in for a license by the March deadline. Rumour has it that they were both looked at on merit and both have passed. Hopefully one is Lothian, Dalkeith possibly the other? 

Was a good game last night for the neutral, first half more so. Threave could probably been more than 2 up at the break, Roman Soltys missing a sitter and having a couple more good chances that on another night may have gone in.

That being said I don't think the wind and the wet surface helped either team and apart from right at the end I don't recall Mids having a shot on target.

2 hours ago, evh78 said:

Was a good game last night for the neutral, first half more so. Threave could probably been more than 2 up at the break, Roman Soltys missing a sitter and having a couple more good chances that on another night may have gone in.

That being said I don't think the wind and the wet surface helped either team and apart from right at the end I don't recall Mids having a shot on target.

I’d hoped to come down for the game but couldn’t manage in the end so appreciate the match report. 

Is there any rumours on threaves thoughts on promotion? Are they planning on playing the playoff game and would they accept automatic promotion if LTHV win the league and don't get licenced?

Why wouldn't they? Spent the first few years of the Lowland League being cannon fodder and wanted relegation to refresh things. I'm sure they'd like the challenge of stepping up, get to renew rivalries against Dalbeattie, Gretna and Edusport.

Plus with all the rumours of the South of Scotland's place in the pyramid and how things might go over the next year, they get to escape that uncertainty.

As you say they were Canon fodder and needed to regroup, I just wondered if they see their future as remaining in the south or not

5 hours ago, calmac25 said:

As you say they were Canon fodder and needed to regroup, I just wondered if they see their future as remaining in the south or not

Think they're probably at a happy medium with a proper promotion and relegation mechanism for them. Get a decent team together and see how high they can climb, beginning of a downturn they're a big enough to compete for the SoS and regroup.

Again, being in the Lowland League with everything going on with the pyramid might be their preference next year. It'll provide them with more choices with what might lie ahead.

I think threave be happy to play in south for another season at least, you have seen how hard it is to recruit enough quality of a squad to compete in lowland ie dalbeattie have had a tough league campaign is there enough players to have two teams from same area competing in lowland league i dont think so ...