Rating the champions

48 minutes ago, MacArab said:

For me Saints did a very professional job, despite not having the top budget in the league, consistently grinding out wins (sometimes with a bit of flair), and benefitted well from other teams’ inconsistency.

Not sure about the purpose of this thread is to be honest, but imo they are as good champions as any, and thoroughly deserved their title.

Shows what some decent players and a good manager can achieve.

Probably just some Morton fan mischief making. Bunch of scamps.

41 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Let me guess ether a Dunfermilne fan or Morton oh aye you have ton in your name. Our turnaround is nothing short of remarkable that is the bottom line. 

Cant' believe you figured it out so quickly, I'll have to set up an alias account to use in future.  

If you'd bother to read my post, instead of just stream of consciousness typing the minute your knees started jerking, you'd see I acknowledged the quality of the turnaround. However, the question is how decent this St Mirren team is, not how terrible they used to be.

6 minutes ago, k-ton said:

Cant' believe you figured it out so quickly, I'll have to set up an alias account to use in future.  

If you'd bother to read my post, instead of just stream of consciousness typing the minute your knees started jerking, you'd see I acknowledged the quality of the turnaround. However, the question is how decent this St Mirren team is, not how terrible they used to be.

I did read it and have read it before something along the lines of the league is weak and s.h.i.t.e.. That's fine if That's what the usual suspects keep writing I will take that any day of the week when we win the league.  As you support Morton it comes across as sour plumbs. Very rarely do I point the finger and write we have been so much more successful than Morton since the league began in 1877 most of us take you as the wee team down the road but I would  not write that :P would not want you to counter the facts because you can't. However respect for supporting your local club. 

42 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

I did read it and have read it before something along the lines of the league is weak and s.h.i.t.e.. That's fine if That's what the usual suspects keep writing I will take that any day of the week when we win the league.  As you support Morton it comes across as sour plumbs. Very rarely do I point the finger and write we have been so much more successful than Morton since the league began in 1877 most of us take you as the wee team down the road but I would  not write that :P would not want you to counter the facts because you can't. However respect for supporting your local club. 

Assuming you mean Plums, you'll find I'm on record offering unqualified congratulations elsewhere on this forum.  However, as my original post states, I thought it could be interesting the see where people would rate this St Mirren team vs some of the other teams who've won the league. 

Otherwise, great bantz re my team except for the bit where you come off sounding like an Old Firm fan.  No greater crime.

24 minutes ago, k-ton said:

Assuming you mean Plums, you'll find I'm on record offering unqualified congratulations elsewhere on this forum.  However, as my original post states, I thought it could be interesting the see where people would rate this St Mirren team vs some of the other teams who've won the league. 

Otherwise, great bantz re my team except for the bit where you come off sounding like an Old Firm fan.  No greater crime.

Jokes aside they are not world beaters but good enough to get out the division. Is the current team good enough for the premiership? Probably not it would be a fight to stay there. On the plus side for us we have brought in 1 million in transfer fees the same could come in again if Hibs sell John McGinn we have a 35% sell on clause. It's in the press to- day Ross, Scott, Fitzpatrick have been working for the past six month identifying players. Ross said 7 to 9 players will be brought in with quite a few being let go mostly fringe and players like Sutton. So hopfull for next season only time will tell. 

Its all about having the best team at that point in time. Saints have judged it perfectly. Yes in all probability the same side wouldnt have got promoted in any of the last 3 seasons but they put it together when it counted and you cant argue with that.

What everyone needs to remember is that this season’s Championship was mediocre, and we only won it because everyone else was shit. We also only won the 2013 League Cup because Hearts had teensy-weensy financial woes, and we only won the 1987 Scottish Cup because Dundee United had one eye on the UEFA Cup Final, plus, the Old Firm were pish. We also only won the 2015/16 Bells Irn Bru Ramsdens Petrofac B&Q Norn Iron & Welsh Diddies Diddy Challenge Cup because the Old Firm weren’t allowed in it either. Our 1980 Anglo Scottish Cup win was purely down to the Old Firm not being in that one either. Finally, all our Renfrewshire Cup wins are purely down to the fact Morton are pish.

Frankly, we’re a shower of Paisley basturts’ who are the jammiest thing since Robertson’s Jam.

Now, about this open top bus...

How far back do you go? I mean Hearts took the piss in 14/15, as did County in 11/12.

The front 4 of Rooney, Foran, Hayes and Odhiambo in the 09/10  ICT team was disgusting. Teams knew they were beat before the game even kicked off.

There’s 3 off the top of my head that are better than St Mirren this season and Hibs last season.

16 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

How far back do you go? I mean Hearts took the piss in 14/15, as did County in 11/12.

The front 4 of Rooney, Foran, Hayes and Odhiambo in the 09/10  ICT team was disgusting. Teams knew they were beat before the game even kicked off.

There’s 3 off the top of my head that are better than St Mirren this season and Hibs last season.

Real Madrid are better also :P What's the point its done and dusted if we have won the league because everyone else is poor and we are a better poor who cares honestly as we don't. Saints fans 20 years from now will look at our history and say we walked the league nothing will be wrote in history to say everyone else is crap. Im buzzing for Saturday to see that trophy being lifted by the team. From experience you know how good the party will be in Paisley on Saturday night think what it would be like on the streets if Scotland won the world cup well it's not too far off that mark partying in lots of pubs, clubs and in the streets, monuments draped in Saints flags , cars peeping horns its magic. 

2 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Real Madrid are better also :P What's the point its done and dusted if we have won the league because everyone else is poor and we are a better poor who cares honestly as we don't. Saints fans 20 years from now will look at our history and say we walked the league nothing will be wrote in history to say everyone else is crap. Im buzzing for Saturday to see that trophy being lifted by the team. From experience you know how good the party will be in Paisley on Saturday night think what it would be like on the streets if Scotland won the world cup well it's not too far off that mark partying in lots of pubs, clubs and in the streets, monuments draped in Saints flags , cars peeping horns its magic. 

There's no doubt St Mirren are the best team.  Great at the back and lethal in the forward areas.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

What everyone needs to remember is that this season’s Championship was mediocre, and we only won it because everyone else was shit. We also only won the 2013 League Cup because Hearts had teensy-weensy financial woes, and we only won the 1987 Scottish Cup because Dundee United had one eye on the UEFA Cup Final, plus, the Old Firm were pish. We also only won the 2015/16 Bells Irn Bru Ramsdens Petrofac B&Q Norn Iron & Welsh Diddies Diddy Challenge Cup because the Old Firm weren’t allowed in it either. Our 1980 Anglo Scottish Cup win was purely down to the Old Firm not being in that one either. Finally, all our Renfrewshire Cup wins are purely down to the fact Morton are pish.

Frankly, we’re a shower of Paisley basturts’ who are the jammiest thing since Robertson’s Jam.

Now, about this open top bus...

Mate, the only reason we've ever won any game ever is because the opposition were putting in their worst performance of the season.

Overall they've been the best team in the league. They have strength in every area - back, midfield and forward. One criticism of them I have is their tendency to go down easy. I watched them do that recently at Tannadice and the following game v Livi. Maybe my criticism should really be directed at our useless officials though since it's them who encourage it.

Jack Ross does deserve praise for the way he turned the club round. It's not that long ago the Saints fans were on here tearing their hair out at a succession of dud managers.

I have to put in a word here though for my own wee team and manager who work on a fraction of Saints budget. To date Saints have lost 7 games to Livi's 6. The big difference has been in too many draws for us. We failed to kill teams off. 

Anyway, good luck in the big league. If you keep Ross you're in with a chance.

Tier 2 Champions and how they've fared their 1st season in the top flight.

2017/2018 - St Mirren (?)

2016/2017 - Hibernian (Realistically anywhere 2nd-5th) 

2015/2016 - Rangers (3rd) (Europa League) 

2014/2015 - Heart of Midlothian (3rd) (Europa League) 

2013/2014 - Dundee (6th) 

2012/2013 - Partick Thistle (10th)

2011/2012 - Ross County (5th) 

2010/2011 - Dunfermline (12th) (Relegated) 

2009/2010 - Inverness Caledonian Thistle (7th)

2008/2009 - St Johnstone (8th) 

2007/2008 - Hamilton Academical (7th)

2006/2007 - Gretna (12th) (Relegated)

2005/2006 - St Mirren (11th) 

2004/2005 - Falkirk (10th)

2003/2004 - Inverness Caledonian Thistle (8th)

2002/2003 - Falkirk (LOL)

2001/2002 - Partick Thistle (10th)

2000/2001 - Livingston (3rd) (Europa League)

1999/2000 - St Mirren (12th) (Relegated)

1998/1999 - Hibernian (6th) 

1997/1998 - Dundee (5th)

19 hours ago, Im_Rodger said:

Tier 2 Champions and how they've fared their 1st season in the top flight.

2017/2018 - St Mirren (?)

2016/2017 - Hibernian (Realistically anywhere 2nd-5th) 

2015/2016 - Rangers (3rd) (Europa League) 

2014/2015 - Heart of Midlothian (3rd) (Europa League) 

2013/2014 - Dundee (6th) 

2012/2013 - Partick Thistle (10th)

2011/2012 - Ross County (5th) 

2010/2011 - Dunfermline (12th) (Relegated) 

2009/2010 - Inverness Caledonian Thistle (7th)

2008/2009 - St Johnstone (8th) 

2007/2008 - Hamilton Academical (7th)

2006/2007 - Gretna (12th) (Relegated)

2005/2006 - St Mirren (11th) 

2004/2005 - Falkirk (10th)

2003/2004 - Inverness Caledonian Thistle (8th)

2002/2003 - Falkirk (LOL)

2001/2002 - Partick Thistle (10th)

2000/2001 - Livingston (3rd) (Europa League)

1999/2000 - St Mirren (12th) (Relegated)

1998/1999 - Hibernian (6th) 

1997/1998 - Dundee (5th)

The flaw in this is that in most cases its not the same players playing for these teams in the top flight that got them up there. Some players, not all.

St Mirren will need a substantial rebuild job in the summer to have a chance of being competitive in the top flight in much the same way we did when he got promoted under Hartley. Does it really matter though? They can only beat what's in front of them, didn't have anywhere near the biggest budget, and came back from a disastrous season the year before. Unbelievable achievement and I'm sure Jack Ross will be working on bringing a whole host of new players in to complement the ones he does keep around.

This coming pre-season will be an extremely exciting one for most St Mirren fans as it was for Dundee fans the year we came up again. Look forward to coming up against you lads (If we stay up that is!), much preferable to away days such as Hamilton and Ross County.

Archived