Rating the champions

There’s been loads of chat about how this Brechin team is the worst to play in the Scottish 2nd tier.

That got me thinking about the other end of the table and how this year’s St Mirren team compare, at least to the champions from recent history. Obviously the turnaround from where they were at the start of 2017 is quite something but even in a weak league their points total isn’t going to surpass many of the recent winners.

Where would you rank them?

31 minutes ago, k-ton said:

There’s been loads of chat about how this Brechin team is the worst to play in the Scottish 2nd tier.

That got me thinking about the other end of the table and how this year’s St Mirren team compare, at least to the champions from recent history. Obviously the turnaround from where they were at the start of 2017 is quite something but even in a weak league their points total isn’t going to surpass many of the recent winners.

Miles ahead of any Morton team of the last generation or two !!!

46 minutes ago, k-ton said:

Five (5) places and tenty one (21) points ahead of Morton as things stand.

They've been the most consistent side in the league. That's the bottom line really. Every other team has had a rotten run at one stage or another, or are capable of having seriously awful off days.

Consistency is all that's required at this level. The good kind. Not the Brechin kind. So fair play to the Buddies.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

They don't come close to the Hearts side that won it a few years ago. I doubt many teams will tbh.

Not the greatest comparison though given the size of Hearts. Comparing them to the Thistle team that won it in 12/13 or Dundee in 13/14 is probably fairer. That Dundee team finished with 69 points, 2 ahead of Hamilton. Looking at that league I'm not sure it's as strong as this year, you had 3 part time sides and an absolutely rancid Morton team. Thistle ended up pissing the league and finished with 78 points but again the league had 3 part time sides in it. St Mirren can reach 77 points and whilst that's not an exact science to go by, I'd probably agree that they're better than that Dundee team and maybe not as good as the Thistle team, but I doubt there's much in it. 

I think it comes down to how competitive the league is this season. Look at us for example, we have not lost to St. Mirren (yet!!) and they have just won the league, yet we lost three times to Falkirk who are currently 8th. Also, Falkirk gubbed Dundee United 6-1 and it looks like they are going to finish in the playoffs. Between 2nd and 9th all the teams have taken points of each other, which is why St. Mirren have won the league so easily as they have had no real competition.

PS that doesn’t mean to sound like they don’t deserve to win the league, they are obviously the best team this season.

19 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Hibs weren't especially impressive last season and could finish 2nd in the Premiership.

Basically, it doesn't fucking matter.

Hibs only lost 3 games all season in the league. They pissed it in 2nd gear.

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Hibs only lost 3 games all season in the league. They pissed it in 2nd gear.

They drew a hell of a lot though and made life a lot harder for themselves than it needed to be.

Nobody was very impressive last season. Falkirk and Dundee United finished 2nd and 3rd and neither set of fans would class last year as very good.

1 minute ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

They drew a hell of a lot though and made life a lot harder for themselves than it needed to be.

Nobody was very impressive last season. Falkirk and Dundee United finished 2nd and 3rd and neither set of fans would class last year as very good.

Plus the fact we won our last game of the season on the 18th March and still finished 4th shows how bad the league was!!

For me Saints did a very professional job, despite not having the top budget in the league, consistently grinding out wins (sometimes with a bit of flair), and benefitted well from other teams’ inconsistency.

Not sure about the purpose of this thread is to be honest, but imo they are as good champions as any, and thoroughly deserved their title.

Shows what some decent players and a good manager can achieve.

2 hours ago, k-ton said:

Let me guess ether a Dunfermilne fan or Morton oh aye you have ton in your name. Our turnaround is nothing short of remarkable that is the bottom line. 

7 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Let me guess ether a Dunfermilne fan or Morton oh aye you have ton in your name. Our turnaround is nothing short of remarkable that is the bottom line. 

The remarkable turnaround was last season when you looked destined for 9th at best.

There won't have been many people that didn't fancy St Mirren to be top four this season, though.

Archived