England's Glorious Failure

It's a catchy tune and if I was an England fan I'd be singing it at most games. It creates a decent atmosphere and most folk can join it.

There's absolutely no doubt though that the media and the pundits were absolutely getting carried away thinking they could win it. Even when they were knocked out, all the pundits were saying how they are 'back' and are 'contenders again' (again; :lol:). There have been plenty of media articles saying the same thing. It's not just getting carried away though. Most football fans do that. It's the arrogance of the media and pundits, that they somehow belong at the top level and should always have been there, despite only ever being in one final in their entire history. So many of the pundits are smug wankers with a sense of entitlement.

There's also been some sensible articles as well mind, but I am finding them to be in the minority. 

As for the fans, it's what fans do. The excitement of getting to a semi final must have been huge, and I don't really blame them for dreaming and getting a bit carried away. I didn't really get a sense of arrogance from most of the England fans, unlike the media and pundits.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It' totally understandable that they got carried away, and totally understandable why everyone would ram it down their throats when they failed.

I mean, I was cocky as f**k about Scotland going to the Euros after we beat Holland 1-0 at Hampden. I was absolutely heads gone when they pumped us 6-0 in Amsterdam and if anyone had thrown all my words back at me, that'd be absolutely fair enough. I imagine more than a few English fans were rubbing salt in the wounds that night as well.. also fair enough.

3 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I mean, I was cocky as f**k about Scotland going to the Euros after we beat Holland 1-0 at Hampden.

Really? Had you watched the other qualifiers?

It' totally understandable that they got carried away, and totally understandable why everyone would ram it down their throats when they failed.
I mean, I was cocky as f**k about Scotland going to the Euros after we beat Holland 1-0 at Hampden. I was absolutely heads gone when they pumped us 6-0 in Amsterdam and if anyone had thrown all my words back at me, that'd be absolutely fair enough. I imagine more than a few English fans were rubbing salt in the wounds that night as well.. also fair enough.
The 6-0 saw the true nature of Scotland fans (in direct contrast to the English nature). In the pub I was in we were starting to cheer and ole with every completed pass in the second half, and similar self depracating nonsense about only needing 4, and only needing 5...

We know we're a bit shit, there's no entitlement.

10 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

The 6-0 saw the true nature of Scotland fans (in direct contrast to the English nature). In the pub I was in we were starting to cheer and ole with every completed pass in the second half, and similar self depracating nonsense about only needing 4, and only needing 5...

We know we're a bit shit, there's no entitlement.

I suppose, that may have been my formative experience on becoming a full on true 'we're shit and we know we are' Scotland supporter.

5 hours ago, Jambomo said:

An interesting article on England being thought of as being arrogant for signing Three lions

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/17/its-not-coming-home-englands-anthem-returns-to-haunt-them

If they'd signed 3 lions they might have made the final...

4 hours ago, DanMc99 said:

the way they acted after panama was pretty embarrassing 

This. The Panama game was the moment when they went from relatively sensible "young team, not going to win the thing, will do our best" to the usual entitled pish. It never seemed to enter their skulls that Panama were utter gash who should have been filed under "just lucky to be here" rather than "creditable opponent" and would have shipped a bag of goals to anyone who wasn't Tunisia.

1 hour ago, nsr said:

This. The Panama game was the moment when they went from relatively sensible "young team, not going to win the thing, will do our best" to the usual entitled pish. It never seemed to enter their skulls that Panama were utter gash who should have been filed under "just lucky to be here" rather than "creditable opponent" and would have shipped a bag of goals to anyone who wasn't Tunisia.

The commentator, Guy Mowbray, sounded like he was about to cum even when England were banging in their 5th and 6th.  Where it was clear to anyone who can be objective, that Panama are a complete gang.

2 hours ago, nsr said:

I thought that moment came when they scored a late winner against fucking Tunisia.

46 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The commentator, Guy Mowbray, sounded like he was about to cum even when England were banging in their 5th and 6th.  Where it was clear to anyone who can be objective, that Panama are a complete gang.

The best evidence of Panama's status came when they scored against England.

Despite making the score 6-1, their players and fans were delighted.  I thought it was disgraceful.

15 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The best evidence of Panama's status came when they scored against England.

Despite making the score 6-1, their players and fans were delighted.  I thought it was disgraceful.

Indeed.  Yet the English were treating it like the Germany 7 Brazil 1 game in the 2014 semi.

15 hours ago, eez-eh said:

I thought that moment came when they scored a late winner against fucking Tunisia.

This ^^^

18 hours ago, nsr said:

and this^^^

The first win took them to the edge and the second sent them over. I told several Inglunders that they hadn't actually played any decent teams yet but they were so excited, it was seen as just a miserable Jock trying to piss on their chips.  I understand the fans elation but the media were totally nuts as usual and wound them up something rotten.

Belgium (twice!) and Croatia found them out.

Having said that, the games against Sweden and a below strength Colombia showed that it may be possible for a team to fluke their way to winning the thing.  Others have mentioned Portugal and Greece in the Euros.  Wish tae fck WE could fluke it! ;)  

Archived