England's Glorious Failure

9 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Is that not fair enough?  Nobody worth listening to seriously thought England would win the World Cup, so to reach the third/fourth playoff (notwithstanding the opposition) can only be seen as a success.  Look at the inverse.  The anti-English sentiment from our side of the wall is surely heavily ironic, but to an outsider (and thick Scots) it appears like genuine xenophobia.  

Likewise a heavily ironic English national in-joke appears like brazen arrogance to an outsider.  

I don't think Scottish 'anti-English' footballing sentiment is wholly ironic and neither was the whole 'it's coming home' sentiment in England. Of course, people are not a monolith and there are a range of opinions in all camps.

The back peddling and trying to paint the whole thing as an ironic in-joke is fairly embarrassing tbh and an effort to try and hide genuine pain and disappointment at not going a step or two further. Which is totally understandable and fair enough really. It's what people do, which is why it's so obviously not true.

It has been a successful world cup for England. A very qualified one obviously. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

I don't think Scottish 'anti-English' footballing sentiment is wholly ironic and neither was the whole 'it's coming home' sentiment in England. Of course, people are not a monolith and there are a range of opinions in all camps.

The back peddling and trying to paint the whole thing as an ironic in-joke is fairly embarrassing tbh and an effort to try and hide genuine pain and disappointment at not going a step or two further. Which is totally understandable and fair enough really. It's what people do, which is why it's so obviously not true.

Can't argue with that.

3 hours ago, Girth said:

Only interesting thing to have ever happened in Kings Lynn except when Wendy met someone outside of the gene pool!?

The NWA World Champion is from Kings Lynn.

Probably. It was the first tournament I was aware enough to look forward to and enjoy, having had my eyes opened to the whole concept in 1986. I certainly enjoyed it, despite the dire quality of football on display.
Just had a flashback to our first game, and already knowing enough to think, "I've got a bad feeling about this"  :lol:

I just remember being that niave thinking we should pump costa rica and sweden because at 7 i had never heard of costa rica. Ah to be young and have hope again.

I just remember being that niave thinking we should pump costa rica and sweden because at 7 i had never heard of costa rica. Ah to be young and have hope again.

For me it was France 98 as a 10 year old. My dad telling me ‘we just need to beat Morocco’. Who are they? Easy peasy.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

For me it was France 98 as a 10 year old. My dad telling me ‘we just need to beat Morocco’. Who are they? Easy peasy.

Same here at 13. We're going to pump these absolute diddies Morocco, Brazil will see of Norway and it's on to the knockouts.

image.png.f325fa157b6c0c2b94df4167571cc1c9.png

8 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Your mum's a monolith

9 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

I agree with all of this. Smiles all round from the English media despite the  fact they desperately wanted to win it. Fk you Lineker.

On 14/07/2018 at 22:08, Shotgun said:

Unless I'm missing something, is it not...

Played 7
Won 3
Drawn 1
Lost 3

Then consider that of the 3 games they won, 1 was against a team 12 places below them in the rankings while the other 2 were against a pair of the worst teams in the competition. And they even struggled with one of those. 3 goals from open play, 1 of those a lucky deflection.  Fewer shots on target in 90 minutes than half the teams in the tournament, including Iceland, Peru and Tunisia. Shut out twice.

Yes, they reached the semi-final but really, that disguises what was frankly, an embarrassingly bad performance from one of the world's alleged elite teams. 

But yeah, magnificent achievement, knighthoods all round, bright future etc. etc.  And anyway, how far did Scotland get lol.

Yes, BUT they added an extra dimension of entertainment to the tournament for we 'bigoted, nasty, small-minded , non-qualifying Jocks'. 

I for one thoroughly enjoyed their participation, performances and UK nationwide 24/7 blinkered media coverage. :thumsup2      

Fannies.

1 hour ago, Jambomo said:

An interesting article on England being thought of as being arrogant for signing Three lions

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/17/its-not-coming-home-englands-anthem-returns-to-haunt-them

They're arrogant by being arrogant.  Nothing to do with a song.  They already had themselves in the final despite being pish for decades and beating nobody to get to the semis.

5 minute segment on how to beat france before they played croatia sums them up.

i also believe they spoke about it at HT in the semi, deluded. the way they acted after panama was pretty embarrassing 

They're arrogant by being arrogant.  Nothing to do with a song.  They already had themselves in the final despite being pish for decades and beating nobody to get to the semis.

I more liked the tone of realisation that’s obviously hitting, that they had indeed got carried away and were acting like p***ks again.

The original song was decent enough and the sentiment of coming home just referred to the fact that England, where the organised game began, was staging the Euros.  

Then, 'it' meant a tournament.  For the  wee tossers who picked it up this time though, 'it' had come to mean a trophy.

Apparently more than half of people polled thought the words were "jewels remain still gleaming".   Absolute dicks, incapable of understanding and projecting even literally, let alone with ironic self deprecation.

Archived