England's Glorious Failure

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gary Lineker isn't taking it well on Twitter. He's managed to get himself involved into several spats with Tory MP's. Bizarre.

Tbf he’s not wrong about politicians jumping on the bandwagon, particularly Tories. David Cameron couldn’t even remember who he “supports”.

I think England are a level above painfully average, to be fair.  Sweden I would say are precisely that.  Columbia too.  
I wouldn't say they were found out against Croatia, either. For an hour, England were the better side.  For the first half, they were comfortably the better side.  If they had gone in two or three up, nobody would have regarded that as unfair.   I think the manager got out-managed in the last 30 and extra time though.
Southgate is a good guy.  He really didn't deserve to be treated like a joke figure after his time as a club manager.
It's been pointed out already but how they could have been 2 or 3 up without hitting the target the whole half would have been some achievement.

Once again it was a game where they created no clear chances from open play apart from two offside efforts by Kane.

How does a manager get out managed? They were beaten because Croatia were the better side and eventually got the winner. They could and should have had the game killed off before extra-time. At no point in the game did England have enough pressure that they could have killed the game off.

By the end of BBC Breakfast, they had convinced me that they had actually won the thing. Golden Boot, Best Behaved Supporters, World Cup, Best Goalkeeper, Best Socks...all won by England.

Thank God for the lunchtime news and the balanced viewpoint of Martin Keown. Turns out that they morally won the World Cup, which in the long term, is much more meaningful.

Also, his message that “the journey is only beginning”, and “improvements are coming” should be ominous for the rest of the world, since Argentina, Germany, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Brazil and Uruguay (to name a few) were well satisfied with their results in Russia, and fully intended to do nothing in the next four years.

Oh special mention to Sally on BBC Breakfast. Apparently, England pile huge expectation on their players, but not this time. The media and support left them alone. Now, after reaching the semi (again, no context of the circumstances that took them there), next time around, those high hopes and expectations will be justified pre-tournament. Good work Sally......you have cranked up the old England Merry Go Round all over again.

12 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Thank God for the lunchtime news and the balanced viewpoint of Martin Keown. Turns out that they morally won the World Cup, which in the long term, is much more meaningful.

How did he come to that conclusion? :lol: 

53 minutes ago, FifeArab said:

IMG_1736.jpg

Don't see much wrong with that, as they'll have made France vs Croatia ones as well. They needed to have slips for the final in the shops by opening this morning, so makes sense they'd produce slips for both teams.

Would like to have seen the odds being offered on it mind.

49 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's been pointed out already but how they could have been 2 or 3 up without hitting the target the whole half would have been some achievement.

Once again it was a game where they created no clear chances from open play apart from two offside efforts by Kane.

How does a manager get out managed? They were beaten because Croatia were the better side and eventually got the winner. They could and should have had the game killed off before extra-time. At no point in the game did England have enough pressure that they could have killed the game off.

You're completely ignoring the Lingard chance which he made a complete c**t of as he tried to pass it into the corner.

You're completely ignoring the Lingard chance which he made a complete c**t of as he tried to pass it into the corner.
I may have missed it given my stream, but going by what I saw and from the highlights all I can remember is Lingard getting the ball near the edge of the box, if that's the one? A half-chance.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:
11 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I may have missed it given my stream, but going by what I saw and from the highlights all I can remember is Lingard getting the ball near the edge of the box, if that's the one? A half-chance.

It was an unchallenged shot from the edge of the box that he didn't even get on target. Keane rightly got stuck into him about it.

Far more than a half-chance.

1 hour ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Tbf he’s not wrong about politicians jumping on the bandwagon, particularly Tories. David Cameron couldn’t even remember who he “supports”.

Most top politicians claim to "support" a team, but very few are actually serious. Jeremy Corbyn is one of the few who actually has followed a team (Arsenal) most of his life. Theresa May claims to support AFC Wimbledon. Although to be fair to her, in her time as a Councillor in Merton she was about the only one to actually actively work with a group of Wimbledon fans on a proposal of getting the club back in Merton and prevent any moves away (at that time Dublin was suggested).

Considering we all know what happened to Wimbledon after, that doesn't create much confidence in her negotiation skills...

It was an unchallenged shot from the edge of the box that he didn't even get on target. Keane rightly got stuck into him about it.
Still, hardly bombarding the Croatian goal if that's a chance worth clinging on to.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:
6 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Still, hardly bombarding the Croatian goal if that's a chance worth clinging on to.

I'm not suggesting they were, but that was one of two clearcut chances (Kane being the other) that they could and maybe should have scored with.

You should know by now that pedantry is the way of P&B.

Archived