England's Glorious Failure

Just into the office now, have had time to calm down after last night's events. 

Now trying to work out what my favourite moment was, 

5 - Mark Saggers sounding close to tears at the final whistle, his only audible mumbling's being "Young Lions"

4 - Slaven absolutely schooling Hoddle in regards to tactics. Hoddle is as outdated as the muller rice in the back of my fridge

3 - The bloke who has just sat beside me who has said "I actually thought we could do it" 

2 - Luka Modric's comments

1 - Roy Keane absolutely TELTING Ian Wright. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barring the unlikely event of Griezmann or Mbappe scoring 4 goals in the final (or Lukaku getting a hat trick in the 3rd place play off), Duke Harold of Kanebridgeshire will at least be top scorer. That'll put him on the shortlist of all the big European clubs (it probably won't).

14 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Just into the office now, have had time to calm down after last night's events. 

Now trying to work out what my favourite moment was, 

5 - Mark Saggers sounding close to tears at the final whistle, his only audible mumbling's being "Young Lions"

4 - Slaven absolutely schooling Hoddle in regards to tactics. Hoddle is as outdated as the muller rice in the back of my fridge

3 - The bloke who has just sat beside me who has said "I actually thought we could do it" 

2 - Luka Modric's comments

1 - Roy Keane absolutely TELTING Ian Wright. 

Tyldsley at final whistle " not this time , not this year" the deflation in his voice was absolutely glorious.

11 minutes ago, WBTon said:

When was the last time England managed to beat a higher ranked team in a competitive game?

Probably Argentina in 2002.

11 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

Tyldsley at final whistle " not this time , not this year" the deflation in his voice was absolutely glorious.

Can't give anymore greenies as I lost my shit last night, but indeed that was excellent. 

Also Jason Cundy on Talksport calling about eight callers "Scum" because they questioned why they should be proud. 

12 minutes ago, DanMc99 said:

I missed the game on ITV. I hope it's available on catch up so I can take the time to appreciate his commentary.

Just now, Ro Sham Bo said:

I missed the game on ITV. I hope it's available on catch up so I can take the time to appreciate his commentary.

just go to the 124th minute that'll do , the deflation in his voice is indescribable.

40 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I think it's been a great World Cup. Largely because almost none of the big teams lived up to their reputation.

True, but none of the traditionally lesser teams really did anything either.

Have to say (maybe Unpopular Opinions for this pish) that Guy Mowbray has been the only commentator/analyst not to boil my piss this tournament. He shouted just as much in the highlights last night for every goal. I mean he shouted that wee bit more when the free-kick went in but he still reacted well to Croatia's goals. Compare it to that fucking tosser Tyldsley's reaction to the winner - a totally deflated "and that will likely send Croatia through" and he was definitely bearable.

27 minutes ago, nsr said:

Barring the unlikely event of Griezmann or Mbappe scoring 4 goals in the final (or Lukaku getting a hat trick in the 3rd place play off), Duke Harold of Kanebridgeshire will at least be top scorer. That'll put him on the shortlist of all the big European clubs (it probably won't).

Lukaku only needs to score two more goals than Kane on Saturday, and match his assists.

1 minute ago, lanky_ffc said:

Not doubting they were ranked higher, but wasn't that Argentina side an absolute disaster in spite of the stars they had?

It was basically their 1998 team, just 4 years older, slower and shitter.

6 hours ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Its the English way to know but ignore the simple fact that they played two sides either above or around them in the world rankings, and were beaten in both of those games. They seek to qualify the Belgium game in two ways.....they made 8 changes, but chose to more or less  ignore that Belgium made 9. They then grasp at the straw of “we didn’t want to win the game”. 

If England had been allowed to simply handpick their group and knockout opponents in some sort of WC fantasy, it would have differed little from what they actually got. At the end of the day, they played 6 games. They won 4 (one on penalties), and lost 2. So out they deservedly go.

This. Many times over.

Their run is like a Championship team getting to the Scottish Cup final by beating a Highland League side, a couple of League One sides, and another Championship side. It's a good achievement, because you can only beat what's in front of you, but it doesn't mean they're suddenly capable of taking on the very best teams.

Guest Pampered Adolescent

Lord Nelson! Lord Beaverbrook! Sir Winston Churchill! Sir Anthony Eden! Clement Atlee! Henry Cooper! Lady Diana! MJC- can you hear me, MJC! Your boys took one hell of a beating! Your boys took one hell of a beating!

That Modric interview is what I imagine crack is like. You could watch it endlessly. A player they're nowhere near producing the likes of. Telling them why they're constantly so wrong. All with a little smug grin forcing its way onto his beautiful, hideous face. What a boy.

Archived