England's Glorious Failure

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't mind admitting that I loved Bobby Robson. Great guy.

Even if he couldn’t accept defeat gracefully after Aberdeen soundly beat his Ipswich side in the 81 UEFA Cup?

8 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I don't mind admitting that I loved Bobby Robson. Great guy.

Same here. A fantastic ambassador for the game. 

Public screening of the semi final in Hyde Park just announced.  I can see such a large public gathering on a hot summer's evening only going super well.
My wife is informing me that the lassie that was jumping on the ambulance on Saturday is Scottish.

Fucking hell.

Henderson and Dier will negate Modric and Rakatic, England will attack down the flanks, Loveren will haul down Harry Kane for yet another penalty and that will be that.

France will do exactly what their tedious manager wants and try to shitfest through 120 minutes of a World Cup final, which they will succeed in doing. England will win the World Cup on penalties.

Think that's as bad as it could get? Think again.

England have a curiously terrible record in the European Championship. No wins, no finals, only two semi-finals and only one since the competition has been taken seriously. Meanwhile, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Netherlands, Denmark, Greece, Czechoslovakia, Portugal and the USSR have all won it, and Yugoslavia and Belgium have made the final.

It's no co-incidence that, before this World Cup, two of the four major semi-finals England have reached have been in home tournaments.

In two years time Wembley will be a host for the group stage, the Round of 16, a semi final and the final.

England will win the tournament at the surely undisputed home of football, and then the discussion will move on to whether we can consider this England team as one of the truly great international teams, is Dele Alli as good as Zidane, is Jordan Henderson the new Xavi, could Kyle Walker take Garrincha in a fight.

Help me Luka Modric, you're our only hope.

10 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

From Belgian social media:

English guy bumps into a Belgian in a bar in Brussels.

English guy: 'We're playing Croatia tomorrow night.'

Belgian guy; 'That's a coincidence, we're playing them on Sunday.'

That aged badly.

4 hours ago, CambieBud said:

Jules Rimet was a Frenchman, n’est pas? So they’re right, football is coming home.....to Paris

The British associations were so disdainful of Johnny Foreigner that they didn't bother with the first three World Cups, regarding them as less important than the Home International Championship. The rest of the world respected Britain so much, and still do, that four of the eight places on the board that decides the rules of football are reserved for Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and England. Yet as late as 1950 Scotland turned down an invitation to take part in a World Cup having finished second in the Home Internationals.

England may have been where football was first codified, but the home of both international football and the World Cup is France, while the spiritual home of football is Brazil.

Imagine a team being able to get to the semi final of the world cup, not having scored from open play and having lost to the B side of the only decent team they have played.

If England win the world cup, it will be a bigger disaster for the game than Greece winning the Euros.

2 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

Imagine a team being able to get to the semi final of the world cup, not having scored from open play and having lost to the B side of the only decent team they have played.

If England win the world cup, it will be a bigger disaster for the game than Greece winning the Euros.

Re point 1, they've deffo scored a couple from open play.

And I didn't think Greece winning was a disaster for the game. It gave their fans the party of a lifetime. They played to their strengths took their chance when it came, football survived and normal service was resumed thereafter.

And I didn't think Greece winning was a disaster for the game. It gave their fans the party of a lifetime. They played to their strengths took their chance when it came, football survived and normal service was resumed thereafter.

They've scored a cracking one by Lingard and the other one was an OG. If Croatia can mark at set pieces and dont give away a penalty I'm confident they'll win. My concern is how fatigued they'll be after their last two games went all the way.

I was in greece when they won their quarter final game and i have never seen celebrations like it. Absolutely mental. Can only imagine what the place was like after the semi final and final wins.

14 minutes ago, Lex said:

World Cup 2018: How should Scots, Irish & Welsh fans feel about England's success?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44783648

Thought that was quite a good article.

‘ The Fadiator ‘

emoji28.png

It is a good article.

The only issue I have with it is his defence of the media. While it's absolutely true that, in our own way, we'd be behaving no differently about Scotland reaching a World Cup semi-final (or even qualifying for the bloody thing), the quite significant difference is that it would be led by a Scottish media  broadcasting to Scotland. Of course the "national" media would also cover it - they did so for Wales after all - but it would be similar sort of coverage to an English club in the Champions League. Well-wishing, but no outright cheerleading. 

What we're seeing just now is an English-based media behaving like fans while  broadcasting to the whole of the UK.

1 minute ago, The Master said:

It is a good article.

The only issue I have with it is his defence of the media. While it's absolutely true that, in our own way, we'd be behaving no differently about Scotland reaching a World Cup semi-final (or even qualifying for the bloody thing), the quite significant difference is that it would be led by a Scottish media  broadcasting to Scotland. Of course the "national" media would also cover it - they did so for Wales after all - but it would be similar sort of coverage to an English club in the Champions League. Well-wishing, but no outright cheerleading. 

What we're seeing just now is an English-based media behaving like fans while  broadcasting to the whole of the UK.

While I can see where you're coming from, and we're in a pretty unique position in that way (Italian/Spanish/German coverage doesn't have to worry about that), how should they cover it?  Do people expect them to be perfectly objective?  English people covering English football, but putting a lid on it because there will be Scottish and Welsh watching?  Genuine question, always wondered how people expect it should be covered in these situations.

While I can see where you're coming from, and we're in a pretty unique position in that way (Italian/Spanish/German coverage doesn't have to worry about that), how should they cover it?  Do people expect them to be perfectly objective?  English people covering English football, but putting a lid on it because there will be Scottish and Welsh watching?  Genuine question, always wondered how people expect it should be covered in these situations.

Can you imagine Liam MacLeod, David Tanner and wee Jonathan Sutherland keeping a lid on it if Scotland were in a World Cup Semi Final?

Of course they wouldn’t. They’d be absolutely giddy with excitement, fervour and hyperbole and rightly so.

Just like the English media are.

Archived