England's Glorious Failure

The ABE thing doesn't bother me in the slightest (my wife is Irish and would probably support the Third Reich if they were playing England at rugby). I happily support anyone playing Celtic, Rangers, Chelsea and Ireland. It was just that someone else said that Scotland was the only place in the World where people would even consider supporting their neighbours. I was pointing out that that isn't the case. 

He didn't say that though - he said that we are the only place in the world where it is questioned why we are not supporting our neighbour.

I get that some people in Scotland may want to support England - that's their choice and I would equally attack those who called them traitors for doing so.

At the end of the day it comes down to pure football rivalry. I have happily supported English teams in other sports like cricket - football is a different matter.

It's like asking me to support Dundee United in their quest for promotion - it isn't going to happen.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, GordonS said:

It's the very definition of the Scottish cringe. It's pathetic, snivelling, servile bollocks. Have a bit of self respect.

Also, the 'family of Nations' patter ends at Dundalk!

Although I'll admit that I don't want England to do well, the biggest problem for me at the moment is that virtually nobody in the media is admitting that they've really achieved little to date and that they've also been extremely fortunate.

Listening to them you would think that this team had already achieved the impossible and taken the whole tournament by storm when in fact the truth is of course far different.

So far they've played 2 pub teams in the group stages and recorded one facile victory but only scraped a win in injury time against the other. I'll let them off with the Belgium defeat as both teams played their 2nd strings.

Moving on to Colombia, they basically overcame a team who were no better than decent but who were also missing their undisputed best player and again they failed in both normal and Extra time to dispatch them and in fact were odds on to go out when Henderson missed his penalty (I guess the biometric testing didn't work for him), fair enough they got through but again they were ultimately very fortunate.

Sweden were undoubtedly the weakest team remaining in the tournament and in all fairness England did dispatch them quite easily, however I remain to be in any way convinced that this team are anything other than  ordinary and on paper it would have been a major shock if they HADN'T got as far as they have..................

53 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I'm not:

The ABE thing doesn't bother me in the slightest (my wife is Irish and would probably support the Third Reich if they were playing England at rugby). I happily support anyone playing Celtic, Rangers, Chelsea and Ireland. It was just that someone else said that Scotland was the only place in the World where people would even consider supporting their neighbours. I was pointing out that that isn't the case. 

OK. No worries. Though you did use Africans cheering on Africans as an example... I'm pretty sure most Scots will be cheering for a European team on Wednesday, one way or the other. :)

32 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

He didn't say that though - he said that we are the only place in the world where it ius questioned why we are not supporting our neighbour.

I get that some people in Scotland may want to support England - that's their choice and I would equally attack those who called them traitors for doing so.

At the end of the day it comes down to pure football rivalry. I have happily supported English teams in other sports like cricket - football is a different matter.

It's like asking me to support Dundee United in their quest for promotion - it isn't going to happen.

And here's me supporting Dundee's bid for relegation...

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

To be fair, if England had invaded us in the recent past and killed all my family, I might be less inclined to feel okay about them doing well at anything.

1745 was only yesterday...

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

What I have an issue with is the predictable bullshit we see more and more of as they progress. I dont think theres anything wrong with choosing to back them. I take issue with being told that I should and I am somehow small minded not to. Since, that is utter bullshit.

Agree with this.

My wife is "supporting" England as is our eldest grandson, who'd be a bit more clued up about football than Jacksgranny. Bit of a divided household against Colombia, me and our daughter v her mother and cousin. I went to bed in the huff...

Stuff like 'family of nations' is birthday caird pish and belongs in the fucking sea next to half and half scarves. Have a bit respect for yourself.

If Hearts make the Scottish Cup semi-finals and play Motherwell, I'd want Motherwell to win obviously, because it's a rivalry. I won't be sitting thinking ' Hearts are part of the 'Edinburgh' family, or they're our 'neighbours', so let's back them'. I'd want Ryan Bowman's elbows to turn Berra's face into a bloody mess, I'd want Kipre to be snapping legs, I'd want every man, woman and child in maroon to be a seething, headsgone fucking mess at full time.

Football is all about rivalries, something the bootlicking simpletons seem to have forgotten.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

It's because it's a stage where every world cup show/report/match has become about England, or about drawing comparisons to England's game. 

France v Belgium will be an incredible Semi, but you know yourself the entire match will be a "who would the English rather face" show. 

Do you honestly think all the English enjoy this shite ? Because ive never personally met one that does. It’s cringe TV at its absolute best. It pisses me off that they’d rather talk to death about England, rather than do a bit of homework and give you their insight into who’s actually playing

59 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

1745 was only yesterday...

Maybe for you highlander

Stuff like 'family of nations' is birthday caird pish and belongs in the fucking sea next to half and half scarves. Have a bit respect for yourself.
If Hearts make the Scottish Cup semi-finals and play Motherwell, I'd want Motherwell to win obviously, because it's a rivalry. I won't be sitting thinking ' Hearts are part of the 'Edinburgh' family, or they're our 'neighbours', so let's back them'. I'd want Ryan Bowman's elbows to turn Berra's face into a bloody mess, I'd want Kipre to be snapping legs, I'd want every man, woman and child in maroon to be a seething, headsgone fucking mess at full time.
Football is all about rivalries, something the bootlicking simpletons seem to have forgotten.
Unfortunately I can only greenie this once. Summed up beautifully.

Spot on.

One of my best friends is English. He’s sending me messages just about everyday telling me ‘it’s coming home’. I sent him about 5 laughing my tits off when Colombia equalised the other night.

Neither of us would expect the other to support our respective countries in any way. People need to chill out a bit. It’s just football.

Club rivalry and domestic competition is an entirely different question and the ‘Home Nations’ of the UK is also pretty unique with regards to International football. European Club competition also poses a different proposition for British Clubs. Whether its Wales, Chelsea, Northern Ireland, Hearts, England or Linfield, yep I wish them well. What’s wrong with that? Again I hope England win on Wednesday but I won’t lose any sleep if they don’t.

On 23/04/2018 at 11:21, ICTChris said:

I don't think England fans and media really expect them to do anything internationally anymore, do they? 

is probably why their progress isn't annoying me at all

Club rivalry and domestic competition is an entirely different question and the ‘Home Nations’ of the UK is also pretty unique with regards to International football. European Club competition also poses a different proposition for British Clubs. Whether its Wales, Chelsea, Northern Ireland, Hearts, England or Linfield, yep I wish them well. What’s wrong with that? Again I hope England win on Wednesday but I won’t lose any sleep if they don’t.

Nobodies saying there’s anything wrong with it. The post you’re referring to is simply explaining the other side.

But you have been quite vocal in taking pleasure at Scots who don’t want them to win. I realise that’s mostly just trolling but It’s a different thing entirely to you simply just wishing England well.

Can we all just agree that anyone who has a go at anyone else for supporting (wish well, whatever) England or not supporting them is a fucking moron and move on please.

And anyone who takes an explanation from someone else about why they choose to support or not support them as an attack on your own stance is also a fucking moron.

That would just make things a lot more painless.

48 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

I might if they win...

1 hour ago, heedthebaa said:

Do you honestly think all the English enjoy this shite ? Because ive never personally met one that does. It’s cringe TV at its absolute best. It pisses me off that they’d rather talk to death about England, rather than do a bit of homework and give you their insight into who’s actually playing

Who cares? You're asking why Scottish folk feel like England's progression is making the world cup less enjoyable and I answered. 

Archived