England's Glorious Failure

20 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I don't know how many folk here receive sports direct emails but I've just been emailed asking if I'd like to register for my free Official England Winners shirt. Earlier in the tournament they also brought out a t-shirt mocking Germany for being knocked out.

I love how all these people are still trolling Germany with 1966 and being knocked out early this time, while German people just laugh at that and point out that since 1966 they won 3 World Cups & 3 European championships, with one of the latter actually happening in England.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Folk slagging off Harry Kane are really clutching at straws.

Even if England get knocked out next game, Harry Kane will still be a key player for Spurs and England. He has a great scoring record. Saying otherwise is just embarrassing.

I can only imagine the madness in this thread if England somehow win the World Cup.

29 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Even if England get knocked out next game, Harry Kane will still be a key player for Spurs and England. He has a great scoring record. Saying otherwise is just embarrassing.

I can only imagine the madness in this thread if England somehow win the World Cup.

no denying he's a top striker, i just don't think he's been as good as they claim at this world cup .

i lost all respect for the guy when he swore on his daughters life he touched that goal at stoke when it wasn't anywhere near him.

he would prefer to attend the  funeral of his daughter for a goal at stoke away.

Really hope Sweden pump them. It's a nightmare living in London right now, I can't stand the level of arrogance they're showing, everyone at work has already decided they've won the tournament. You can't walk down a street without hearing "It's coming home" and some c**t a couple of streets away from mine let off fireworks when they beat Colombia. Absolute c***s.

42 minutes ago, Marten said:

I love how all these people are still trolling Germany with 1966 and being knocked out early this time, while German people just laugh at that and point out that since 1966 they won 3 World Cups & 3 European championships, with one of the latter actually happening in England.

Reminds me of a time a County fan on here was trying to troll Caley fans buy posting a picture of them lifting the 2011 Challenge Cup.   A cup Caley were too good to play in at the time. 

16 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Image may contain: 2 people, text

Pedantry alert; it was actually in the Euros in 2012

48 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

He's definitely getting talked down and is much better than a lot of folk on here are making out

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

He's definitely getting talked down and is much better than a lot of folk on here are making out

I do agree that some people talk him down here, but it works both ways as he is talked up down south. He is a good striker, I won't deny it, but he isn't absolute world class either. He is no English version of Messi or Ronaldo for example.

Kane is a fantastic finisher.  Of that there can be zero debate.  Give him a chance and you'd back him to score every time.

I see John Stones went off on one about Colombia being "the dirtiest team he's ever played against", saying there could have been multiple red cards.

While there's no doubt that Colombia were absolute shithouses, this point may have came across as less ridiculous had it been made someone who didn't get away with a blatant red card offence having raked his studs over someone's head.

I do agree that some people talk him down here, but it works both ways as he is talked up down south. He is a good striker, I won't deny it, but he isn't absolute world class either. He is no English version of Messi or Ronaldo for example.
This is misleading. Messi and Ronaldo are above World class. World class are folk like Lewandowski, Griezmann, Modric and so forth. There's simply no point in using them as a yardstick as there may never be another two in their stratosphere.

2 hours ago, ListerRRFC said:

Really hope Sweden pump them. It's a nightmare living in London right now, I can't stand the level of arrogance they're showing, everyone at work has already decided they've won the tournament. You can't walk down a street without hearing "It's coming home" and some c**t a couple of streets away from mine let off fireworks when they beat Colombia. Absolute c***s.

I see a lot are fuming that they are having Pride this weekend in Trafalgar Square and not putting up screens to watch the game. Luckily I am heading North this weekend so won't have to deal with it too much if they do win. 

31 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
2 hours ago, Marten said:

This is misleading. Messi and Ronaldo are above World class. World class are folk like Lewandowski, Griezmann, Modric and so forth. There's simply no point in using them as a yardstick as there may never be another two in their stratosphere.

I would still argue he is behind the other ones you mentioned.

On 04/07/2018 at 17:39, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

I absolutely  love this new idea that goals scored from penalties or corners somehow don't count.

:P

The Cameroonians tried to claim that in 1990 if I remember correctly.

England are on rankings the favourites to reach the finals.

Fair fucks to them. 

My gripe is watching coverage with presenters from another country/ part of Great Britain. 

39 minutes ago, pub car king said:

They just can't help themselves.

Screenshot_20180706-112304.jpg

Conveniently cropping out the "if England win it" part.

Are you that raging about this kind of stuff when pubs are offering free pints if Scotland win games?  Again, there's plenty of things you can complain about when it comes to them getting carried away without resorting to stuff like this.

56 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

Kane is more like the English Kris Boyd than Messi, Ronaldo or whoever.

A lot of folk in this thread have said that.

It's not only wrong, it's stupid. A single example is the deeper role he took up in the second half on Tuesday. He's a much harder worker and more versatile player than Kris Boyd. Plus he's actually done something for his country and has scored in big games (such as against Real Madrid).

He could sell loads more mattresses that Boyd ever could as well.

Everyone, please stop with the Kris Boyd stuff.

Archived